Now I'm really not sure...The BMW....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Now I'm really not sure...The BMW....

135i or the 328i with the sport package. The cost is about the same. The 3 will not be quite as quick as the 1, but from what I read the 3 handles better and of course has more room. I'm now leaning towards the 328
    '14 Specialized Enduro Carbon Expert 29
    '13 Surly Neck Romancer Pug
    1992 Cannondale DeltaV700
    And a couple of fixies

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Which 328? I vote for the 328 wagon for no other reason other than I like the convenience of a wagon. The 328 is one of the nicer looking ones too.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

On your left!
    Apr 2007
    135, faster and lighter. i doubt the 3 series handles better but i'm sure in comparison it will be less twitchy since it has a longer wheelbase. I like twitchy cars though and due to the fact that it weighs less I'm guessing i'm going to like the handling. the 3 series will be more practical, the 1 series will be more fun.
    99 GF Big Sur SS 32x16
    07 GF HiFi Pro

02 Subaru WRX wagon
    06 Suzuki DRZ 450 SM

mtbr member
    Check the actual weights of each. I heard that the 1 series was disappointingly heavy. I vote for the 3 series, unless you are going to the track with it.
    Ride More

mtbr member
    yeah the weight difference between the 1 and the 3 is a bit disappointing. I was hoping the 1 series would go on a diet to come closer to the e36 platforms. I would be interested to see a true heads up comparo as far as handling goes. And at least there is an alternative to the bloated 3 series.

For me it would be a simple decision, the best performance per dollar is hands down the 135 compared to the 328. Im not all about pure hp(of all the cars i owned my 95 miata was my favorite to drive... 04 sti a distant second) but as a daily driver I feel you get alot more opportunities to enjoy hp over handing ability. So to me even if the 3 would handle a bit better than the 1 you can enjoy the extra hp alot more often.

The 3 series may have more interior room than the 1(cant find exactly how much) but in my experience(ive owned 8 cars/trucks in 9 years) a coupe is a coupe. As long as you feel comfortable in the cockpit and the seats fold down, the cargo capacity numbers dont have much significance(within reason of course). Evidence being the fact I have been able to fit 2 mtn bikes(w front wheel removed) in a 02 gti, 01 civic, 97 integra, among other things.

I would like to see more on the handling comparison though. do you have links??

my 2 cent(sorry with the riding season coming to a close i am a bit bored these days)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_C

Sorry no links, but in the Jan issue of Car and Driver there is a shoot out with the 328 and toward the back there is a quick review of the 135. It is here that they state the 135 has more understeer.

Mikey_C is right about more Hp and zip for the daily driver.....
    And several got it right about the weight, there is only 200 lbs diff in the 2 cars

Perhaps it will come down to availability..... 1 series maybe hard to get for a while. It may also improve 3 series sales as well by bringing guys like me into the show room looking for a 1 series and driving out with a 3 series.
    '14 Specialized Enduro Carbon Expert 29
    '13 Surly Neck Romancer Pug
    1992 Cannondale DeltaV700
    And a couple of fixies

mtbr member

try this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_C
    yeah the weight difference between the 1 and the 3 is a bit disappointing. I was hoping the 1 series would go on a diet to come closer to the e36 platforms. I would be interested to see a true heads up comparo as far as handling goes. And at least there is an alternative to the bloated 3 series.

For me it would be a simple decision, the best performance per dollar is hands down the 135 compared to the 328. Im not all about pure hp(of all the cars i owned my 95 miata was my favorite to drive... 04 sti a distant second) but as a daily driver I feel you get alot more opportunities to enjoy hp over handing ability. So to me even if the 3 would handle a bit better than the 1 you can enjoy the extra hp alot more often.

The 3 series may have more interior room than the 1(cant find exactly how much) but in my experience(ive owned 8 cars/trucks in 9 years) a coupe is a coupe. As long as you feel comfortable in the cockpit and the seats fold down, the cargo capacity numbers dont have much significance(within reason of course). Evidence being the fact I have been able to fit 2 mtn bikes(w front wheel removed) in a 02 gti, 01 civic, 97 integra, among other things.

my 2 cent(sorry with the riding season coming to a close i am a bit bored these days)
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=135+forum
    This year I was fortunate enough to get a employee lease deal (bro in law) for the 335 sedan. I've always loved twin turbo cars and there was a performance chip that was availible already for he 335 that gives it a hp boost to 360hp and a whopping 390ft lbs of torque! All for a mere $1200, and no engine mods necessary. The 1 series shares this engine and I think it's the most amazing blend of raw speed, refinenment, and creature comforts on the road today. I had a modded g35 coupe that handled really well but it didn't have the grunt down low to satisfy me. The 335/135 has the performance in a package that is hardly noticeble to other people, that is until you step on it Now they have the xi version, which makes it an S4 killer as well, with the refinement of a BMW. I highly recommend it, great integrated rack system as well.

On your left!
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Flytime
    Sorry no links, but in the Jan issue of Car and Driver there is a shoot out with the 328 and toward the back there is a quick review of the 135. It is here that they state the 135 has more understeer.
    sway bars don't cost that much.
    99 GF Big Sur SS 32x16
    07 GF HiFi Pro

02 Subaru WRX wagon
    06 Suzuki DRZ 450 SM

mtbr member
    135i for sure. For a similarly equipped 3 series you're going to pay 10K more and gain what? I bit more room...... and? I think it's cool they're offering the 300 horse 3.5 engine in the One series. Cool car. I don't see the resemblance to the 2002 that much though.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_sur
    sway bars don't cost that much.
    sway bars themselves don't cost much, but unfortunately they've made it very hard to upgrade them as part of the subframe needs to be removed to get to it. Probably 2-3 hrs labor versus like 20mins for a car like the G35. This could be different on the 1 vs the 3, but it's something to consider. If I new the 135 was coming out I probably would have gotten that, maybe when my lease is up I'll buy a used one-

thecentralscrutinizer
    Bring
    Many
    Wrenches

Spend your money wisely.
    http://www.autooninfo.net/AutoonInfo...ationPage3.htm
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    Bring
    Many
    Wrenches

Spend your money wisely.
    http://www.autooninfo.net/AutoonInfo...ationPage3.htm
    hah- according to this report we should all be driving Toyota Camrys and Honda Accords. I prefer a more connected experience in my cars but I cant argue that they are probably the most problem free. This being my first bmw, I don't know what it's reliability long term is, but in the couple months i've owned it has been one of the most reliable and satisfying vehicles I've ever owned. Before this I was a strictly Japanese (nissan/infiniti) owner. As far as owning outside the free maintenance period of 4 years, I probably would not as they are ridiculously expensive to maintain even when using independent mechanics-

mtbr member
    completely agree - I would rather put up with a tempremental or somewhat unreliable vehicle with some character that is fun to drive...I'll get an accord or camry when I am 90 thank you very little........

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    completely agree - I would rather put up with a tempremental or somewhat unreliable vehicle with some character that is fun to drive...I'll get an accord or camry when I am 90 thank you very little........
    Then you've got the right car.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29

dh1
    mtbr member
    I personally tend to avoid first year models, like the 1 series. Let them see what happens when they have been on the road for 20-30K miles before you jump in. The 3 series has made the car & driver 10 best list for more years than any other car on the market. You can't go wrong with a 3 series wagon for comfort, style, sportiness, and space. The 3 series sedans are great looking cars too....but if you are into bikes, the wagon will haul more.

FWIW, I had a 740 for about 4 years. It wasn't the most reliable car I ever drove, but I will say it was the EASIEST to work on of any car I have ever owned. BMW engineers do an excellent job of making the cars easy to service. In the 4 years I owned the car, I paid about 1000 bucks in unexpected repairs. Much of that was from me foolishly degreasing the engine with my hot water hose and fouling my ignition coils.....my point is don't worry about reliability. The 740 was as reliable as any Ford, GM, Chrysler car I have ever owned.

Members who have read this thread: 0