No more USA Cycling "bikes fly free" vouchers on United Airlines- Mtbr.com
    a.k.a. BicycleKicks

No more USA Cycling "bikes fly free" vouchers on United Airlines

Not exactly "car" and biker, but it's travel related anyway...

Bummer... I was getting all excited about the USA Cycling "bikes fly free" vouchers arrangement with United I read about on an old thread... turns out that program was terminated at the beginning of 2007. I called United to ask about it.

Once he told me it was cancelled I asked if there's a certain box size that if small enough eliminates the fee for a "bicycle". He said "not really". So even if you have a pocket sized bicycle in a shoebox they will try and charge you $85.

I plan to fly with my bike in the next couple of months, so I'm going to put it in a plain unmarked box and claim it's "components" or "excercise equipment" or "racing equipment" or "mountain climbing equipment" to try and avoid a fee. It's not quite a blatant lie. After all, a mtn bike is all of those things.

I also noticed that the airline's max box size requirements for archery equipment and bikes are the same, but the archery equipment goes for FREE !!! A person could also claim it's "archery equipment" and if they look in it say "dang, I grabbed the wrong box! How about that?!"

Point of this thread? Be creative, a bit sketchy, and try and avoid the fee.

EDIT: some airlines have different policies... I don't recall if the free archery equipment was United or some other airline.
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    The $85 united fee has been avoided in the past by calling it Tradeshow Props.
    But in the end I think the key is to be nice and friendly in a real way (not in a cheesedick way) and roll with it.

mtbr member
    check their web site and double check their rules for luggage. I know that Delta has no problem with allowing a bike once it fits within their 62" linear measurement and this is exactly what I did on my trip to CO. I took ,y Niner RIP9 FS bike apart and fit it into a 29" wheelbox along w/ the two wheels and the rest of the parts, the fork went into my duffle bag with hard bottom between layers of clothes - I wasn't charged anything but overweight on the way back as I had "accumulated" a few extra pounds of stuff compared to what I carried up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Thanks for the tips.

LyNx fit a frame and wheels in a 62L.I. box? That's impressive.

I just bought a Performance Team bike case that has a rhombus/rectangle/triangle (let's say "rhomtangle") sort of shape, so depending on how it's measured it may or may not result in a fee.

Check out this same cross-post thread in the General Discussion forum. There are some more excellent ideas.

EDIT: dang, that shape is a trapezoid... I knew it had a name but couldn't recall for the life of me... I like the name "rhomtangle" or "rhombangle" better.
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member

Quite easy actually

Here's a pic of the RIP9 packed up.

Nice thing about the RIP is that the bottom suspension rocker falls below the BB and as such you can easily fold the rear triangle within the front.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    My apologies for those who've seen it before, but here is my Turner Flux in an S&S case (62" linear, 26"x26"x10"). It takes some effort to pack and unpack, but unless the airlines redefine oversized luggage, I'll never pay a dime to take it.

Members who have read this thread: 0