Nissan X Trail- Mtbr.com

Thread: Nissan X Trail

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Nissan X Trail

Hey guys,

So I have just bought a nissan xtrail and it has come with a 1 1/4 inch hitch on the rear. I am unsure whether it is a class 1 or class 11 hitch. So any pointers on identifying that?

I am ideally looking for a rack that will hold 3 bikes - the style where the bikes are held by the wheels......not the ones where they are hung by the additional bars.

I have looked at some websites and see that they do make them...... but mostly for 2 inch hitches. any suggestions??

I have also been thinking about roof mounting as well............ but can't seem to find any crossbars to start out with!

Any suggestions?

Cheers for any assistance!

code: mtbr2011
    it's likely to be a class 1 (I) or a class 2 (II)...not a class 11...

when looking for a platform rack, most will not accomodate more than 2 bikes because when used with a 1 1/4" hitch.

the roof of the xtrail, if equipped with an elevated siderail (running front to back) is a great foundation for the thule 45050 railing pack. from there, you can add all types of bike racks on top.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks Scott!

I thought it would be the case with the 1 1/4 hitch only being able to hold 2 bikes.

I will have a look at the crossbars too!

Thanks again

Fraser

ballbuster

There are 4 bike 1 1/4" hitch racks...

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    Thanks Scott!

I thought it would be the case with the 1 1/4 hitch only being able to hold 2 bikes.

I will have a look at the crossbars too!

Thanks again

Fraser
    ... out there. Not that I would hang 4 45 pound DH bikes on it, but XC <30 pound bikes should be fine.

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007
    We have an X-Trail. The crossbars were a pain to source. Nissan dealerships no longer carry them. I found some Thule ones from a guy on nissanforums.com who imports them from Europe.

I use a hitch mounted rack, and the roof rails support an old Thule box.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think I will be getting both roof bars and a tow hitch bike rack. The roof will be used for my canoe and a roof box in the future........

Cheers

Members who have read this thread: 0