Nissan Versa?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Nissan Versa?

mtbr member

Nissan Versa?

What's the word on this gas mizer?
    anyone have it?

since 4/10/2009
    I looked at it. Comfy car, nice extras, CVT is nice. My biggest beef was that the back seat doesn't even come close to folding flat. It creates a shelf that's a good 6 inches higher than the main cargo area. Even if you're not putting bikes back there...if you just use it for everyday stuff, that arrangement would be a big pain.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm just all over the board as for as cars go. I need good MPG since I drive 82 miles round trip a day.
    I've even looked at the HHR, as much as I did not like the car at first...now it's kind of growing on me?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If you are all over the board like you say you should definitely sit down and figure out what you really need and want; mpg, reliability, versatility, driving fun... anything else? Based on the two cars you mentioned I take it you are looking at small hatch cars? You should pick up recent issues of car and driver, motortrend, etc as alot of the magazines are reviewing small cars with gas prices rising.

Just some good options that I would recommend: Honda Fit, Honda Civic, Mazda 3, Toyota Matrix. There are many more options but those were just a few. I would stay japanese because of the reliability, american cars aren't as bad as they used to be but not on par with the japanese.

I love hybrids (prius mostly) but wouldn't recommend them quite yet because I don't think that the technology has been perfected quite yet. Maybe in a few years when the price of a hybrid isn't 10k over a comparable gas only car.

I feel like I could go on forever so I'll let other people talk now...

another day at the office

Tested and reviewed at CarReview

We had the sedan model for a week and liked it. The reasons it got a B- grade was because of the low marks with styling and handling. Something you don't really expect in a economy commuter car, anyway The hatchback version is definitely more versatile and suited to hauling our bike gear than the sedan.

Read the review by genshammer:
    2008 Nissan Versa S Review - Filling the big shoes of Sentra

Some pain is physical and some is mental, but one that's both is dental.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It was on my shortlist of 3 cars back in December when I changed my CRV. I had the Matrix, the Fit and the Versa hatchback. When I did the road test, the Matrix was discarded, didn't like the seating position, the manual transmission feel and the dashboard look with it's shiny toy like materials. The Versa was definitely by far the most comfy, relaxed ride of the three, super luxurious feel when driving it, very low noise, I was in love, until I opened the hatch, lowered the back seats and almost fainted. The back seat don't fold flat at all and you endup with a rear area that you can't use for bikes. So, as you can guess I bought the Fit! The driving is super nice, go-kart type of driving, it is firmer then Versa but not more then the Matrix. Noise level is pretty good when cruising, the dashboard has some nice material, doesn't feel cheap like the Matrix. And then when you open the hatch, lower the seats, you almost faint but with a big smile on your face. How can such a small car have such a huge storage area, quite remarkable. I can push in two bike upright and my equipment, no need for an external rack. Fuel consumption is great and reliability, well it's a Honda.

Hope this helps a bit.

Pivoteer
    I went through the same list of cars a few weeks back. My list was the Versa, Fit Sport, and Scion xD. I tried the Fit and really liked it. A good looking car with high functionality and superior reliability (I also own an 07 Element SC). My biggest issue was the salesman, and the pricetag. They actually marked the car up from MSRP. A few calls to a few other dealerships and I was getting the same vibe. Honda is selling Fits like nobody's business, so a great deal did not look good to me.

Then I headed over to Nissan. I am not a Nissan fan, but felt I needed to take a look. I was not impressed with the numbers, the appearance, or anything for that matter. Likely due to my bias against them.

So then I stopped over to Scion and checked out the xD (a Toyota Yaris chassis, with the 2009 Carolla motor and Transmission, so a super reliable package). I really wanted white (which was not available on the Fit). Scion had several on the lot. The appearance was horrid in the stock form, but the interior was fantastic. the seats are very comfy and the interior says Toyota. I am a Honda and Toyota guy, and I am sure it is coming through. I headed in the showroom, took a look at the Yaris sedan (though I prefer hatchbacks) when I got out, I saw the car I eventually bought. This car was very good looking (can't believe what a set of wheels can do), I knew a nice hitch was available (for my rack), and my wife liked it. The mileage I am getting is about 34mpg city, 36-38mpg highway. A little less than the fit, The car looks bigger than the Fit, though it is smaller. It does have less cargo space as well. The pricing was fantastic, cheaper than the Fit Sport. My experience at the dealership was far better than any I have EVER had. I was in and out in about an hour. No muss no fuss.

Definately get out and check out as many cars as you can. Each of us that has posted has had different requirements and wants from our cars. I know many people HATE the looks of the xD, though I think it is by far the best looking of the 3. As a previous poster mentioned, American vehicles are reasonable these days, but no comparision to the Japanese vehicles.

Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

since 4/10/2009
    In my search, I also ended up with a Fit (Sport manual tranny). With a roof rack, I get pretty similar numbers to tiSS'er's xD. With bikes on top, my highway economy drops to about 35, but the beauty of it is that bikes fit in the back very nicely.

When I was searching, the xD was mostly a rumor and I wasn't willing to wait that long just to look at it. I think the xD is a good alternative if you're looking for a similar type of car with different styling. I've owned/driven Toyota, Ford, Honda, Dodge, and Chevy vehicles over the years and the best ones have been Toyota and Honda for me.

I dearly love my Fit, though.

The demand for them has really outstripped supply. A lot of dealers have been marking them up pretty significantly. I was lucky and I got mine in Pittsburgh before they really got popular (I had only seen one in town before I bought mine) and I got mine with no additional markup. I've heard quite a bit of folks travel a long way to get one at the right price (the dealer I bought from has had people travel from neighboring states to buy a Fit).

When I first saw the Versa, I was okay with the styling...but the more I see them, the more I'm disliking them.

Things I like about the Fit:
    Versatility.
    Versatility.
    Interior (seats are firm, but not overly so. dash & controls have great layout. Interior quality is top notch. After 1yr, no strange sqeaks or rattles, Magic rear seats)
    Performance (for a little economy car, it's quick and has very good handling)
    Extras (outstanding airbag coverage (6 total: driver/passenger, side curtain, driver & front passenger side impact), nice 6 speaker stereo CD, aux input standard for mp3/ipod/xm, cruise control, snazzy gauges.

Things I wish were different:
    Seat fabric/upholstery is a little on the cheap side. Better fabric would be nice...maybe even a leather option.
    No center armrest/console in US market. I could order one from Asia or Mexico, but import costs are too high to make it worthwhile.
    Could use a 6spd manual tranny. I'd like to run lower RPMs at highway speeds for fuel economy and noise.
    Dead pedal on manual version. There's no solid spot to put my left foot.

another day at the office

Video Review of the Versa

For those who do not like to read. Click on the link to view our video review.

2008 Nissan Versa Video Review

Some pain is physical and some is mental, but one that's both is dental.

Members who have read this thread: 0