Nissan Pathfinder- Mtbr.com
    thread crapper
    Feb 2008

Nissan Pathfinder

Anyone have any opinions on the newer Pathfinders? My wife is interested in one. I'm interested in how well they do on-road and off, as this will most likely be the vehicle we go to the races in, which means it may get to some backwoods camping in Colorado and New Mexico. How well does it do in the snow/ice?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a 2010 SE and loving it. I live in NY so not much off roading, but she did very well during the last snow storm. My kids love the space and the flexible seating. Go to nissanpath.com for more info on the off road plus and minuses. They can point you in the right direction. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have the big brother...The 2010 Armada. Its awesome in the snow. Havent; taken it off road but im pretty sure it can handle. It eats gas.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by scottap2003 View Post
    Anyone have any opinions on the newer Pathfinders? My wife is interested in one. I'm interested in how well they do on-road and off, as this will most likely be the vehicle we go to the races in, which means it may get to some backwoods camping in Colorado and New Mexico. How well does it do in the snow/ice?
    I have a 2008 Pathfinder SE and love it. They drive great. Lots of good features.

I haven't taken mine offroad much, but before getting one I researched this and found lots of good info. Look up Pathfinders on Youtube and you'll see them roosting. I was convinced after seeing some of these videos.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    I have a 2008 Pathfinder SE and love it. They drive great. Lots of good features.

I haven't taken mine offroad much, but before getting one I researched this and found lots of good info. Look up Pathfinders on Youtube and you'll see them roosting. I was convinced after seeing some of these videos.
    Here you go.

nissan pathfinder off road - YouTube
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Ever since 2004 they have trended toward the suburban market. Colorado and New Mexico will be fine as long you don't decide to take it off improved forest roads since these places generally don't see much snow with the continental snowpack. I won't go charging around in Moab on a stock one or be driving north of Rocksprings, WY. Definitely, would be sketch on a unimproved primitive road. Its okay for light dustings of snow (less than 6 inches), but for real snowfall it blows (especially coastal snowpack).

Watch out for the plastic underbody covers, they come apart pretty easily and they are expensive. For the gas mileage and the handling, you are better off with a Subaru. Then again, anything is more reliable than an American car.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbike View Post
    Ever since 1996 they have trended toward the suburban market.

Fixed it for ya. Xterra was the real new pathfinder, but even that went soft after the first generation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy
    I have to ask for them to do a "Number two" on my head

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah, it went soft on the interior with the amenities, but it's still a body-on-frame truck. I believe the Xterra is a solid rear axle while the Pathfinder is independent rear suspension, but unless you're going down a cliff or trying to climb over some boulder, it's more than most will ever need. A base 4x4 will go up just about anything within reason.. one with the Off Road package is even better. I had a 2007, then a 2009 Frontier.. which has the solid axle, but that thing would drive over anything. Basically no limitations off road. Can't go wrong with a Pathfinder.