Nissan Frontier Bike Mounting Advice- Mtbr.com
    Woods Ready

Nissan Frontier Bike Mounting Advice

I just picked up an 05 Frontier and traded the way-too-big gas guzzling Ford F-150. I'm not one for buying off the shelf bike racks, so I made a wooden one for the Ford. It was simple with Yakima Clamps for the forks. Of course it won't work in the Nissan.

The Frontier has this bed rack system that is super handy, and a bed extender. I'd like to see some home made racks for this truck if anyone has made something that is effective. My only idea right now is to mount the clamps to a tube on the bed extender.
    Thanks!

KH

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Depending on whether you want to keep the wheel on, or take it off, you can go with mounts in the track system.
    The key part is finding the cone nuts or spring nuts at your local parts store - they should come in packs of about 8 and you will need some 1/4 bolts for them - to mount an adapter to. The cone nuts act as a backing to sit in the track, so that you can run some RockyMounts or Yakima locking fork mounts to. I am even using a Hurricane ForkUp on top of one of those.
    If you want to keep the wheel on, I dont know - I am sure you could come up with something. I think my bike might be a hair long for that.
    Honestly, 99/100 times, it is just laying in the back, no problem.

Anyways, do a search on this forum for the frontier, you might find my post there, or go over by clubfrontier org and chekc out their forums.

Edit:http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...issan+frontier

Hope you enjoy the new ride, I am pretty sure you will. It has more HP than your F150 did, will roll off the line, but can be eager to suck down the gas, so keep it under control!
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 10-10-2006 at 06:39 AM.

anyone else smell that?
    i saw a rack that bikes sitting in the bed sideways instead of longways with the forks mounted to the bed rails. that left a bunch of room in the back to put other stuff. unsure who made it or if he just bolted those performancebike fork mounts to the rail.

anyone else smell that?
    you could also use some mighty mounts on your roof rack and get a bike rack for the roof rack:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...duct_Code=2085

i'm going to a hitch mounted solution at some point. i just can't reach the top of the xterra very well since it's a bit higher than the normal xterra. right now i have a 2x6 cut to shape and have the fork mounts bolted to it. it fits ok with the back seat folded down, but i have to remove the front wheel obviously and the seat post to clear everything. pain in the butt to reset the post every time.

They turned me loose
    Just use a 2x4 with a few of the hollywood QR clamp brackets ($15.00) screw those into the 2x4 and lay the board in the bedliners slotted grooves.

If it has a bedliner that is.

mtbr member
    you can get a set of springnuts for strut channel(found in the electrical aisle) at your local Lowes or Home Depot to use to bolt your forkmounts to the Nissan Utilitrac

you can do a search on Clubfrontier.org and Nissanfrontier.net theres a few topics on bikemounts for the utilitrac over there

I use a Yakima bed bar in my 02 similar to the one nissan offered as an option in the Frontier and Xterra but I dont think its available through Yakima anymore
    Those who know can not explain, Those who don't can not understand

Smith & Wesson, The original point and click user interface

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'd just buy that 2" 4-bike fold down yakima rack, you have a hitch right?
    You could bring more then one bike that way and it would mount super easy.

The gas mileage can't be that much different though?
    Long trips maybe but a normal mix of freeway/city you notice that big of a difference from your ford?
    What engine did you have and what engine do you have now?

mtbr dismember

Plastic wood

I have '98 Frontier and a friend made this out of plastic wood. The wheel holders are from a chemistry lab.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I use a 2x8

I use a 2x8 with the quick release clamps from performance. I also have a bunge cord that goes across the back and hold the back wheel in place (no bouncing wheels). It has proven to be very secure on dirt roads.

mtbr member
    This has been covered pretty well here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=223863
    I have a 2001 Frontier King Cab, check out post #15.
    _
    _
    Beware the man who has just one gear. He may know how to use it.

Woods Ready
    I like the PVC rack, but the bed is too short. I had been using the wood mounted fork cleats in the F-150, but the Frontier has the factory spray in liner, so there aren't any deep pockets for the wood. Thanks for all the suggestions though.

I sat down yesterday and looked at the track system. I really wanted to use that somehow. I took one of the sliding cargo loops apart and here is what I came up with.

The red pieces are polyeurethane spring bushings from a Jeep CJ that I had in the garage. I'm not sure if I will keep using those or switch to something stiffer. The bolt holes on the Yak fork mount line up the bolts that hold the Nissan cargo loop together. I just got longer bolts and put it together. I slide this into the front channel and the bike rides facing forward.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Woods Ready
    Long trips maybe but a normal mix of freeway/city you notice that big of a difference from your ford?
    What engine did you have and what engine do you have now?
    I was getting 14 mpg in the ford just about everywhere. It had the 5.4 liter V-8

I just checked the mileage on the Frontier (V-6 4.0 liter) and I am getting 19 mpg around town.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thats about what i get with mine, between 17-21mpg depending on how fast i go. I have a 2003 crew cab with the v6. I went with a hitch mounted rack so i never have to take wheels of to transport the bikes and the mileage is the same with the rack and without it.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Nigel 13]Thats about what i get with mine, between 17-21mpg depending on how fast i go. I have a 2003 crew cab with the v6. I went with a hitch mounted rack so i never have to take wheels of to transport the bikes and the mileage is the same with the rack and without it.[/QUOTE

I've been getting 17-19 mpg with my 02 KC 4x4 its 5sd with the 3.3 v6,those numbers will improve a bit when i finally get my tonnou cover
    Those who know can not explain, Those who don't can not understand

Smith & Wesson, The original point and click user interface

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey- Guess you can lead a horse to water, but....
    Open wide, here are your options -
    http://www.rockymounts.com/clutch.html

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/s...highlight=bike

There are other options for you. Simply replace your cleat setup with some cone nuts and then you have your cleats to use.

I have also considered adapting some kind of InstaGator setup into the bottom Utilitrack railing, but dont have the time/dinero right now.

Woods Ready
    Yeah... I saw the rockymounts right after I made mine. Basically the same thing only I didn't have to buy anything more than what I already had.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, you have a nice setup.

I would really like to find a way to integrate a wheel-lock like the instagator uses into the utilitrack. Any ideas?

Members who have read this thread: 1