New Yakima Holdup Evo thoughts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

New Yakima Holdup Evo thoughts

Just got one of these with the +2 as well. So far pretty dang nice. My wife has long hated jacking around with bike Racks and getting them locked on. The new rack was appealing with the simple twist nob and no tools or busting knuckles getting a pin through. Zero wiggle with the hitch too.

Getting bikes on and off is really nice. Wife LOVES it so far as well (a big deal). Holds our kids bikes (Spawn 20") great too. The tray sliding adjustment takes tools to move but I just set them as far apart as possible and it's worked great (this is better than old one). Itd be nice to have a little more separation but so far so good and her bars aren't Smashing into my seat. Big tires work great too.

I really like the new kick plate and lever used to release the rack and Pivot it up, flat or angled down. We can angle it down with my XL bike on it and swing the 4 runner hatch open far enough to easily grab some stuff without removing the bike. Haven't tested it with 4 bikes yet.

We'll see how the thing holds up but so far it's great and fixed the stuff I didn't like about the old one for the most part. Here's hoping the plastic stuff doesn't fade ultra fast cause it looks nice. We like the quick locks too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I just got one of these too, and tried it out today. I mounted two hybrids and drove around for a while to make sure I had it installed correctly. I agree with the comments about ease of use. But I could not get the front wheel hook over the tire on my Trek Farley 5. It is supposed to handle tires up to 5" wide and mine is 4.5. Has anyone used this rack with this size tire?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrar View Post
    I could not get the front wheel hook over the tire on my Trek Farley 5. It is supposed to handle tires up to 5" wide and mine is 4.5. Has anyone used this rack with this size tire?
    Try to do the bike lean. Lean the bike away from you, into the vehicle. Raise the hook until it is just in front of the headtube of the bike, then bring the bike back upright, and hook at the fork/wheel. I have to do the same thing with my Kuat rack.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks for the reply zombinate. I will give that a try.