New vs Used T2- Mtbr.com

Thread: New vs Used T2

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

New vs Used T2

I just purchased my 2" receiver for my Outback and got the go ahead (with medium stink eye) from the wife for the T2.

I'm probably looking at a minimal difference in cost at the end but the idea of having the hitchvise might be worth asking this dumb question.

I was looking to buy the T2 with the Securehook and Snug-Tite locks. This comes to about $340 shipped.

My buddy found a used T2 for $280 that came with some bike chains but no locks.

Assuming I can find a used one for $280 or less, I can pick up a hitch vise ($35) and a spare tire lock($6) to use as a bolt lock and save a couple bucks.

Are the locks for the new T2 worth it?

code: mtbr2011
    while the locks on the t2 don't hurt, the best method of security for the t2 is using a cable lock.

jrm
    mtbr member

If its a pre Thule T2

like mine it wont accept the extensions with out some mods. Also parts are non existent and theres no support. Bust it and youll need to find someone who can weld it.

However if you feel youll never have the ankling to add to more bike trays and are willing to take the chance that nothing will break then go for the pre thule T2. Ive had mine for almost 9 yrs and it works great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    like mine it wont accept the extensions with out some mods. Also parts are non existent and theres no support. Bust it and youll need to find someone who can weld it.

However if you feel youll never have the ankling to add to more bike trays and are willing to take the chance that nothing will break then go for the pre thule T2. Ive had mine for almost 9 yrs and it works great.
    I didn't even think of the parts issue but you having it for 9 years.. that's impressive!

Members who have read this thread: 0