Which new vehicle..help me choose.- Mtbr.com
    Special Lister

Which new vehicle..help me choose.

I currently have an 06 4dr Civic. I love the mpg and the car overall. However, I am starting out outgrow it. My boys are getting to the age of camping and outdoor stuff. I need more room...not a ton but more. I have narrowed it down to the Outback ( still no sure if the 2.5 or 3.6) a Tacoma 4 dr, 4runner, and Pilot. I am really leaning toward the Outback because of the mpg, space and overall function. I have had the 4 dr Taco in the past and I love it. Downside it is very long and would not fit in the garage for winter and I would need a camper shell for weather proof storage. The 4runner and Pilot are equal in my book. The Pilot may get better mpg, but very simular. I have read everything there is on the vehicles. I have only driven the Taco. I am trying to be economical about it. Can anyone help and give me some insite on the vehicles or if there are some others out there. I am trying to stay with vehicles 2010 or newer.

mtbr member
    Some that come to mind are the Forester, Flex, and Element.
    Signature

The White Jeff W
    I have an '07 Outback with the 2.5L and 5-speed. A little underpowered but otherwise a great car. Im averaging about 24 mpg in mixed driving
    No moss...

Special Lister
    The Element was a thought.

mtbr member
    The Element is great for outdoor activities. Only down side is gas mileage.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Check out the Chevy Equinox too. Smaller SUV but gas mileage is good. Seems to get really good reviews as well.
    Signature

Special Lister
    What kind of mpg does the Element get? I have had issues with ChevyFord in the past. I tend to stick with Honda or Toyota. Maybe BMW or Infinity, but upkeep and insurance can ruin any pluses. Anytime I have had domestic vehicles there have been issues. I have had 8 Honda, Toyota, Acura and the only issue with any of them was a bad starter on the Civic I have now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Dont handicap yourself to just a few brands. There are so many things out there now that are what you looking for its unreal.

Equinox would meet your needs without having to pay the extra price for a Pilot or 4Runner. I will say that the sliding rear seat is just awesome. Depending on how big you boys are now and when they will be by the time you get rid of it, it could be a popular feature for them.

Honda is putting the Element out to pasture so you might want to think about that. If you get one, it will be a 8 yr old vehilce already because of its life cycle. Sales were pretty dismal so you might want to take that into account IF you do need parts.

Outback would be good too. Its basically a wagon instead of a SUV though. Kind of meh on the interior but Subaru has proven it to be a good vehicle.

You are kind of all over the place with what you want though. The 4Runner and Pilot are full size SUVs. The Element is a mid-size. The Outback is a midsized wagon. Then you have a truck! lol

Prize range is out there as well. 4Runner can get pricey REALLY fast and the Pilot is knocking on 30k as well. Element can likely be had for a great price as well.

Special Lister
    I know I'm all over the place. The Taco is on my list cause I have had one already and loved it. I could deal with the mpg because of the space inside and it being a truck allows me to do more. The Pilot and 4runner are on there but as last resorts because of price and mpg. That is why the Outback is tops. Good price, good mpg...my only real issue is reliability. I have seen it all over the board.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If you are going to be driving the vehicle quite a bunch then I will say get an extended warranty. You can negotiate them down to a price you are comfortable with but usually just stick with the ones offered by the company you are looking at.

Outback is a pretty versatile vehicle. If you can get over the stigma of driving a wagon and being made fun of by some of your insecure friends, it will make a great vehicle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Acura TSX Sportwagon

Special Lister
    All my friends like the Outback...my wife is who would make fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsayers View Post
    What kind of mpg does the Element get? I have had issues with ChevyFord in the past. I tend to stick with Honda or Toyota. Maybe BMW or Infinity, but upkeep and insurance can ruin any pluses. Anytime I have had domestic vehicles there have been issues. I have had 8 Honda, Toyota, Acura and the only issue with any of them was a bad starter on the Civic I have now.
    Our Element got in the low 20's mixed hwy/city. It also has a pretty small tank which means you're filling up every 200 miles or so. We loved it in all respects except for the fuel economy. It was great for carrying dogs/bikes/kayaks. With the exception of commercial base model pickups and vans, it was the only vehicle we could find that didn't have carpet. We sold the Element because we realized our diesel Sprinter was getting the same fuel mileage and was way more roomy and comfortable for us, the dogs, and all our toys.

skobiken
    Jun 2009
    Add the Rav4 V6 and CRV to your list. Good power and mileage with lots of space and decent ground clearance. The Rav wins on space, power, and looks. The CRV is more comfortable and has a nicer interior. Both get better mileage than the element despite the Rav having 100 more horses.
    Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither. - Ben Franklin

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Subaru Forrester XT and then swap out the intercooler, turbo, manifold, injectors and fuel pump from the STI...

ballbuster

Still...

Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    The Element is great for outdoor activities. Only down side is gas mileage.
    ... an Element has got to be way better than any rail frame live axle SUV or truck, like the Taco or Pilot. Handles better, too. It is not going to be as off-road worthy, naturally. THen again, how often is that going to come up? Heck, I did some fireroad crawling in my VW GTi without traction control a few times and it was fine.

The Outback is a good choice too. If you really run out of room, you can resort to a roof box for some of the extra camping gear... the couple times a year you need it. Enjoy better mileage without the extra bulky car the rest of the time you don't. The AWD is really good on the Outback, way better than any other unibody kinda pseudo SUV out there. It's not going to crawl rocks, but it won't get stuck as easily.

skobiken
    Jun 2009
    Got to remember the 675lb load limit on the Element though. Really, if you want to be able to haul four people and gear comfortably you're probably best off with a truck or van. The mini suv's will do it fine, but not all that much better than the civic.

If you're carrying three people and just need a bit more room how about a roof rack and a couple of skyboxes for the civic?
    Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither. - Ben Franklin

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Keep your money here. You always hear about buying local, so I recommend buying an American car brand, I always have, and have always been happy.
    The only car I ever had trouble with, was my wives Toyota ....she had it when we met, but know she is happy with her Chevy Avalanche

It's all about the FSR!
    You can easily keep your money "here", by purchasing a made in America Honda, Toyota or Mitsubishi.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Keep your money here. You always hear about buying local, so I recommend buying an American car brand, I always have, and have always been happy.
    The only car I ever had trouble with, was my wives Toyota ....she had it when we met, but know she is happy with her Chevy Avalanche
    You mean like a chevy thats made in canada? Or a ford from mexico? Always buying american is also dangerous because it kills competition, buy the best product so the other manufacturers are forced to innovate and get better. Otherwise you are actually hurting them with blind brand loyalty.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Idea View Post
    Add the Rav4 V6 and CRV to your list. Good power and mileage with lots of space and decent ground clearance. The Rav wins on space, power, and looks. The CRV is more comfortable and has a nicer interior. Both get better mileage than the element despite the Rav having 100 more horses.
    Except both are behind the Equinox/Terrain in MPG, interior size and interior comfort. Trust me, I just shopped this segment about a month ago with a friend and even the updated CRV and Rav4 really have nothing on the Equinox/Terrain.

Not to mention, you can get a 7" touch screen on the Equinox in 1LT trim and compare it to a EX FWD CRV and its about $600 more.

The 2012 Rav4 hasnt been updated on the Toyota website but it should be the exact same price range and it gets inferior gas MPG than the Equinox as well.

However, the Outback would likely be #1 on my list as well. I just CANT get over the Elements looks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    This comment made me chuckle. No American car is all made in America anymore.

+1 for the Element.
    We all know the pros to it, but cons are: crappy gas mileage and seating for 4 only.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    fj cruiser

ballbuster

Heh....

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid View Post
    You can easily keep your money "here", by purchasing a made in America Honda, Toyota or Mitsubishi.
    ... and Honda is more heavily unionized. More money and jobs stay here. I dunno how the profit end of that works. Do they send all the profits of Honda USA back to Honda of Japan?

Part two of that is of course, I wouldn't want to buy a an American car if it is inferior just because they are an American company. All else being equal,tho... I would personally prefer to keep the cash here in the states.

Subaru, too. They build them in Indiana, IIRC. Subaru also boasts that they run a zero waste plant. If that is true, that is amazing.

ballbuster

... and....

Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    This comment made me chuckle. No American car is all made in America anymore.

+1 for the Element.
    We all know the pros to it, but cons are: crappy gas mileage and seating for 4 only.
    ... Not very comfy for long trips. Buzzy engine and extra firm not very supportive seating... or so the E owners I know say.

I dunno... I'm seriously considering one for my next car. Although, I'm really digging my 10 year old A4. I just put a hitch rack on the back for hauling bikes. There is plenty of room in the trunk for my camping and biking gear. I almost never need more room, but if I got desperate, I could get a roof box I suppose. Of course, not enough room to sleep in with bikes inside, unlike an E. I do like that it is stupid fast for my tastes and still gets close to 30 mpg, and handles paved twisty mountain roads super well.

But, near zero ground clearance for any kind of off road capability. I'm a little afraid to take it on maintained unpaved fireroads. There is only like 4" of clearance between the ground and easily damaged aluminum oil sump, and lots of low overhang in front of the front axle, and behind the rear axle. One misplaced rock and I lose my engine.

The E, tho... I just can't get past that massive convenience of having all that space in a compact car kinda package. You can haul a sofa in the thing if you let it hang out the back. Gas mileage isn't bad at all, considering how big it is. It reminds me of the VW Vanagon, but with modern safety, quality car building, and reliability. Plus, in past years you can still get it with a manual transmission. They dropped that the last couple of years.

My wife drives an A4 wagon, and it is fine for hauling us parents, two kids, and kid gear, but it really doesn't have much cargo room inside. We manage to cram lots of gear, bikes, bike trailer, but we really do have to cram it in.

She tells me that if we get an Element, it's going to be my car. She says she doesn't want to drive such an ugly box on wheels. Heh.... designers. She's very particular about how things look. Me, I think its ugly, but in a cool way.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 12-23-2011 at 11:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    So a Japanese, Korean, German, etc are American? where do you think the majority of the profits go? My thought is, while sad, that very few American companies totally produce their products in the US, at least it is an American company which does benefit the US ecomony a lot more than the so called American made imports. The one and only reason Toyota, Kia, Nissan, Honda, BMW, etc produce vehicles over here is'nt to help support the US economy, but to eliminate the tariff's that were imposed on them. I think it was a sad day when those companies where allowed to build factories over here.
    But, I can't change what you or most anyone thinks or buys, I was giving my thought to the question of this post, but someday it might just be your job or lack of a better job because of our reliance on foriegn goods.
    Unfornately, we cant always buy American made goods, I have 2 Santa Cruz's, 1 older, made in the USA and a Blur Carbon, made overseas, 2 Cannondales, 1 US made, 1 made overseas, 1 Ventana, US made, 1 Bianchi DISS, made in Tiawan, 1 Curtlo, US made, 2 old Schwinn cruisers, US made, 1 pre-war Schwinn Excelsior, US made, all the geared bikes, except the carbon Cannondale, run SRAM, while an American company. produces there parts in Taiwan, the Canndale uses Campy. But I try to buy "made in USA" when feastable, just wish most everyone else cared.
    I have a "pipe dream" and wish we once again can be the worlds largest manufacturing( after WW 2, the US had something like 8% of the worlds population, but produed 60% of the worlds goods) at least keeping our ecomony and us Americans working, but I dont think that will ever happen, based on how so many people dont care where a product comes from .
    As far as anyone thoughts of a US branded vehicle being inferior, you've got a lot to learn.
    There was a time when they were(mid 70's-mid 80's), but they were so regulated, unlike the imports of the time, and the imports took full advantage, making quality products, but times have changed, where everyone makes quality, even Hyndai. Most of the people on this site are'nt old enough to remember when it was a rarity to see a Toyota or Honda on the road, how things changed, I believe for the worst.
    The saying "Honda's run forever" is complete bull$hit, any car, which is taken care of will seemily run forever.

ballbuster

I dunno...

So a Japanese, Korean, German, etc are American? where do you think the majority of the profits go? My thought is, while sad, that very few American companies totally produce their products in the US, at least it is an American company which does benefit the US ecomony a lot more than the so called American made imports. The one and only reason Toyota, Kia, Nissan, Honda, BMW, etc produce vehicles over here is'nt to help support the US economy, but to eliminate the tariff's that were imposed on them. I think it was a sad day when those companies where allowed to build factories over here.
    But, I can't change what you or most anyone thinks or buys, I was giving my thought to the question of this post, but someday it might just be your job or lack of a better job because of our reliance on foriegn goods.
    Unfornately, we cant always buy American made goods, I have 2 Santa Cruz's, 1 older, made in the USA and a Blur Carbon, made overseas, 2 Cannondales, 1 US made, 1 made overseas, 1 Ventana, US made, 1 Bianchi DISS, made in Tiawan, 1 Curtlo, US made, 2 old Schwinn cruisers, US made, 1 pre-war Schwinn Excelsior, US made, all the geared bikes, except the carbon Cannondale, run SRAM, while an American company. produces there parts in Taiwan, the Canndale uses Campy. But I try to buy "made in USA" when feastable, just wish most everyone else cared.
    I have a "pipe dream" and wish we once again can be the worlds largest manufacturing( after WW 2, the US had something like 8% of the worlds population, but produed 60% of the worlds goods) at least keeping our ecomony and us Americans working, but I dont think that will ever happen, based on how so many people dont care where a product comes from .
    As far as anyone thoughts of a US branded vehicle being inferior, you've got a lot to learn.
    There was a time when they were(mid 70's-mid 80's), but they were so regulated, unlike the imports of the time, and the imports took full advantage, making quality products, but times have changed, where everyone makes quality, even Hyndai. Most of the people on this site are'nt old enough to remember when it was a rarity to see a Toyota or Honda on the road, how things changed, I believe for the worst.
    The saying "Honda's run forever" is complete bull$hit, any car, which is taken care of will seemily run forever.
    I drive a lot of rental cars... a LOT. I have never been impressed with GM stuff, although the Malibu I rented wasn't half bad. I rented a Cruize and I thought it was pretty terrible. The Dodge Caliber was even worse. The Ford Focus is a lot better in that class, IMO. A lot of Ford products are influenced by their European market, and I think it shows in the style and feel department. The best rental I had was a VW Tiguan, and the Subaru Impreza was a close second.

The real issue, style aside, is what does it look and feel like after 100k miles? In my experience, a lot of American cars are in bad shape after they have been on the road a while. My Mo-Inlaw's '96 Mercury Escort clone (forgot the name) looked like it had three times as many miles on it than it did after 60k miles. The single step paint was looking dull and faded after year 4. She bought it brand new, took perfect care of it, kept it clean, waxed, didn't abuse it, and it still looked beat.

I tend to drive my cars until they are well over the 200k mark. My 96 VW GTi looked pretty dang decent at 235k miles when I sold it... (better than my mo-inlaw's car). It ran perfectly well too, except for the ABS module failing at around 200k miles.

I'm with you, tho. I think we should do what we can to keep the cash in this country. I just don't want to buy a car I don't like as much to do it. If American car companies want my business, they need to make better cars.

Nobody said the Asian cars were American. The point being made was that when they produce cars here, they are giving jobs to Americans. American car companies have a lot of their components made in Mexico or China. Chrysler is a good example of that. They have motors and transmissions made completely in China and shipped over here to be installed in cars. Engine building is the most highly skilled and time consuming labor part of car building.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 12-23-2011 at 12:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Anything Jeep
    Ridgeline
    maybe a Taco those are nice....

Anything you get...just get it fully loaded please!!!! lol

Or get a rack for the civic or a small trailer....Unless your version of camping is taking the stove, microwave and the fridge? lol jk

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    My 1972 Chevy Chevelle.250k no problems, except starter, 1977 Chevy Cheyenne, 200k, ran good, terrible milage and had a starter issue, 1986 chevy S10 Blazer, 75k no problems, 1988 Jeep Wrangler 220k, bought it new and still have it, runs great, no problems other than a water pump and starter, 1995 Chevy Silverado 200k. no problems, except fuel pump, 2002 Chevy Avalanche 175k, runs awesome, no problems needed water pump replacement 1 month ago, 2001 GMC Yukon XL 100k, no problems, 2003 Ford Focus, 96k no problems 2009 Chevy Avalanche, 56k no problems.
    So having all these GM, Ford and Jeep (which has a GM motor) vehicles with such success, why would I differ, I really dont think any car make would do any better over the long run.
    It seems to me Toyota and Honda do rely on a reputation from the 70's and 80's, not to say that they are not good vehicles, they are, but not any better than an American brand.
    And you are not keeping the money here buying a foriegn American build car.
    These are my opinions, obvisiously they dont jive with the younger generations, but they were'nt around when America was strong.

It's all about the FSR!
    Who do you think works in the factories here in America, building the foreign cars? You are keeping some of the money here, unless they are just working for free?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    And your right, I didnt say taking all the money overseas, they do have American workers, but I bet most of the higher up's are from the companies home based countries. But guess who works in the American factories?...tax paying, patriotic Americans!

I can't argue with ignorance, if you think America is better off today, then say 20, 25years ago, you need to spend some more time in school.
    Anyway, as everyone else, I was offering my suggestion to the original poster of this post and Im sorry if I offended anyone for sticking up for the USA.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Bot , just curious but what trim level Cruze and Focus did you drive. Big difference in both cars between base and loaded.
    Last edited by bballr4567; 12-23-2011 at 05:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have a 09 Outback and love it, but I don't
    think you could go wrong with anything on
    that list. I feel it boils down to which one
    will fit the best. I've had Toyota trucks and
    they are quite different than a Outback.
    One thing to think about though is the
    Outback will go places that a 2 wheel
    drive Toyota truck wouldn't.

Best, John

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Bot , just curious but what trim level Cruze and Focus did you drive. Big difference in both cars between base and loaded.
    I would guess the Cruze was the base level, but I've had a few Focuses (Foci?) from base level to SES.

I'm not sure trim level makes much difference in how the engine, transmission, brakes or systems management run, or even just basic ergonomics.

I also rented a top end Cobalt, and dislike that car as well. It was way buzzy, and squirrely. The engine hit redline every time I leaned on it a bit. It was advertised as a 34 mpg car, but even when I babied it, it never got better than 25 mpg. Heck, my Audi with Quattro gets better mileage than that car.

And I wasn't really talking mechanical stuff so much. She didn't have much trouble with it mechanically, although a transmission failure at 140k miles made her finally dump the car.

But, the interior materials, body parts, and paint were not up to what other companies are doing. My mo-inlaw's driver seat foam was all mashed down and deformed by the 4th or 5th year she owned that car. She's a slim lady, and only drove the thing to town from her house in the mountains like 3 times a week (and yes, she drove like an old lady). She didn't live in an urban area (Pueblo CO area) and didn't sit in traffic either.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Then, perhaps something was wrong with the Cobalt.

Regardless, the base Cruze has a different engine and a different feel. I even think it has different cloth.

Id still pick a Cruze or Focus over the Elantra, Corolla or Civic any time with the current generations.

Elitest thrill junkie
    And your right, I didnt say taking all the money overseas, they do have American workers, but I bet most of the higher up's are from the companies home based countries. But guess who works in the American factories?...tax paying, patriotic Americans!

I can't argue with ignorance, if you think America is better off today, then say 20, 25years ago, you need to spend some more time in school.
    Anyway, as everyone else, I was offering my suggestion to the original poster of this post and Im sorry if I offended anyone for sticking up for the USA.
    How do you feel about the fact that gm and ford use some of that profit to develop amd sell cars in europe and other places? They DEFINITELY aren't keeping all of "the money" in the US.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie

And i was around and aware 25 years ago, we are WAY better off now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Like I said, cant argue with ignorance............

mtbr member
    Im looking for a 05-07 Chevy Malibu Maxx. You can get them for a great price and they are not that bad on mileage and reliability. Ive heard high 20s and low 30s for mileage. The rear truck has a lot of storage and Im pretty sure I can rig something up and put the bikes inside. The floor is really low in the trunk.

Special Lister
    I really didn't start the tread to get into a war on import vs. domestic. I buy what I like reguardless of where it was made. No car is fully American, German, Japaneese ect... As far as myself not wanting to buy Ford, Chevy Dodge I don't like most of their vehicles. The ones I do I don't want to take a chance on the reliability, resale, feel, ect...

I looked at the CR-V yesterday and really like it. Could use alittle more cargo space, but most everything else I like. So it looks like I am down to the Outback and CR-V with the Taco still in the mix. I am going to give up on the Pilot and 4runner. To pricey and to expensive overall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Before you write off the Equinox on resale, try to find a used one. Lots of the used ones are the LS trim that business and rentals buy just like all other brands.

If you are honestly looking at the CRV you need to check out the Equinox and give it a chance. Its bigger on the inside and it really gives you more bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    I drove an Element when I was in the market a year or so ago and it was pretty obnoxious on the highway--lots of wind noise and a choppy ride. Since most of my driving is on the highway that would be a factor for me.

I don't want to feed the thread drift but the automobile industry is only a small slice of what's wrong with the U.S. compared to 25 years ago. Calling people ignorant because they don't agree with you seems a bit rude...

Were I in the market for a little SUV right now I'd be looking for a 2010 or newer Ford Escape Hybrid. In 2010 they added a bit of refinement (sound deadening for a quieter ride) and a larger displacement motor. It's a nice little buggy and the mileage is great. The available features and leather seats in the "Limited" version are amazing.

The Equinox is probably the nicest and most competitive in class vehicle Chevy has right now, for whatever that's worth.

Of the ones you're looking at I'd take the Subie over the Honda. The Honda is nice but I like that Subaru supports mountain biking. Talk about keeping your money where you live! I owned a '97 Impreza for 10 years and never had a single problem with it. Not. One. Problem.

The smaller VW SUV, the Tiguan is really sporty and fun, too, and the BMW X-3 is too, if you're in a Teutonic frame of mind.

Good luck!

Special Lister
    A used business or rental car are you serious. I don't want a Chevy let alone a rental Chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Before you write off the Equinox on resale, try to find a used one. Lots of the used ones are the LS trim that business and rentals buy just like all other brands.

If you are honestly looking at the CRV you need to check out the Equinox and give it a chance. Its bigger on the inside and it really gives you more bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Not the point I was making. You commented about resale value and I told you to look up used ones to show you want their resale value is. Trust me, it's very decent as we used to have the GMC version and when we sold it, we lost about 10% over a year and 20K miles.

But alas, please pick the Outback over the CRV if you are adamant about not driving one of the best bang for your buck vehicle in the class right now.

Special Lister
    I appreciate the input. I have just had experiance with domestic tuck platforms compared to Honda/Toyota. Maybe the Equinox is different. They just don't drive as nice. My opinion.

Check out True Delta. The repair history for the Equinox is fair where the CRV is excellent. The 100K mile warranty means nothing to me. All it means is that I won't have to pay for the repairs. The trips to the shop are more of a hassle.
    Last edited by kjsayers; 12-25-2011 at 08:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I understand ya. I just really think that the Outback and Equinox have much better interior room and just look better as well. Lots of those trips for the Equinox were first year issues like the headliner falling in the middle, noise issues due to the directory injection and so on. Although Honda is trying to pass of the CRV as all new its just an extensive midcycle enhancement which is evident in the wheelbase and width measurements that are the same between the 11 and 12. That bugs me to high hell. Lol

Merry Christmas and visit your local Subaru store! Lol

to pedal or not to pedal
    Nov 2009
    Another Element owner here. Good vehicle. Mileage issues are valid. Lots of people from different walks of life think they are cool vehicles and feel compelled to compliment me on owning one. Your kids might get a kick out of that.

Prior to the E, I owned a Subaru Legacy Wagon. The Subie wagons are great vehicles but I would give the edge to the Element for camping.

thecentralscrutinizer
    We have a 2010 Outback, and it's a really good car...It's comfortable, gets okay MPG's, tows over a ton, has plenty of room, low maintenance, AWD, could get a manual trans if you wanted it, and has a decent warranty and resale value.

We have put over 34K miles on the car in less than 2 years of ownership since we use it as our primary car.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsayers View Post
    Check out True Delta. The repair history for the Equinox is fair where the CRV is excellent. The 100K mile warranty means nothing to me. All it means is that I won't have to pay for the repairs. The trips to the shop are more of a hassle.
    I like my CRV AWD, one bike inside the back or a couple of bikes on a hitch rack, might be missing some of the silly electroncis junk of other cars but is cheap to operate and beats them all in reliabity and maintenance, a little better gas millage than the sub which numerous friends have, also a little cheaper, it does not have a ton of power but its fine for me, i have been impressed by the awd in snow, have parked at events in snowy or muddy fields and it just walked right out of there where larger heavy metal suv's with their higher torque engines were having a bit more problem.

I am happy that honda did the right thing for the 2012 model and didn't make it bigger, same wheelbase, a little more ground clearance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Not sure why nobody mentioned this before but if you're looking for exceptional fuel economy, tons of space and a great drive, there's just one vehicle to pick.

2012 Volkswagen TDI Jetta Sportwagen. Tons of space. It has built in roof rails for a bike rack. The leatherette seats are easy to clean up after a muddy ride, the heated seats kick ass after a cold morning ride. Also, it has GREAT handling!!
    Some days I want to kick my own A$$ twice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm in the Element camp. I've owned an Outback, Taco, and Element. If you can get over the bread box looks, it's the best compromise of a recreational, utility, MPG's. I would search for a first gen model so it has the rear sunroof and no stability control, but that's just me.