New truck bed rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

New truck bed rack

Thought I'd post our newly designed, patent pending truck bed rack.

We've been working on this rack for the last two years and finally completed a small run to do testing on.
    The rack, called the "MultiTaskR" will work with just about any truck bed and/or trailer. It currently has 2 different bike mounts, one that fits any thru-axle(or 9mm QR) fork, the other is a unique steerer tube mount which fits into any sized steerer tubes, holding the bikes securely over the tailgate and will be available in a locking version(shown)
    The design of the MultiTaskR was somewhat influenced by the tailgate pads that several companies produce. The huge difference between the pad and our rack is, it doesn't come in contact with any part of the truck except for the mounting points inside the bed, it holds items securely with no tie downs, the tailgate is fully usable when loaded( except the the steered tube mount) and it has a secure lockable option.
    We have tested this rack on bumpy dirt roads, the bikes barely move and will not slam into each other or bounce causing damage to both the bike and truck.

The other mount shown is an expandable mount to hold such items as kayaks, surfboards, SUP's, lumber, pipe, etc. There is also locking bars that will secure such items. The MultiTaskR can be rotated both forward and backwards and can be removed completely in less than 30 seconds.
    Other accessories, such as removable mesh covered baskets to hold items such as tools, shoes, helmets, wetsuits, groceries, etc, and a retractable locking cable that fits inside the upper crossbar will be available soon.

We have been rigorously testing this rack in several vehicles and in all types of conditions

The MultiTaskR should be available early next year, the name of the company is called Exodux.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New truck bed rack-img_0224.jpg  

New truck bed rack-img_0210.jpg  

New truck bed rack-img_0219.jpg  

New truck bed rack-img_0065.jpg  

New truck bed rack-img_0220.jpg  

New truck bed rack-img_0292.jpg  

New truck bed rack-img_0480.jpg  

Last edited by Hurricane Jeff; 08-22-2015 at 04:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Ive got some questions in regards to the rack you posted. How exactly do the bikes mount?
    it looks real interesting. I currently use a tailgate pad and have had some problems while transporting multiple bikes( and a single bike). It seems that with the pad, the bikes just get thrashed from banging together, they bounce all over when driving on bumpy roads. How secure is your rack? How many bikes can it carry? Are there mounts for my road bike?
    I bought a 2015 Ford F150, will it work with this truck?
    Sorry for all the questions,but Im very interested in the rack.

I also enjoy kayaking and stand up paddle boarding, it looks like the rack works for those as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hey On fire,
    There are a couple of different bike mounts, the fork mounted type, which we designed to be future proof, meaning they can be made to fit any axle standard that will ever be made, and the answer to one of your questions, it will fit the standard 9mm dropout.
    The other, and the most exciting are the steerer tube mounts, which insert into your open steerer tube at the bottom of the fork crown, then by turning the blue knob, wedges are drawn down and expand a slotted tube inside your fork.
    These mounts have been thoroughly tested and keep the bike practically still inside the bed of the truck. They also have a locking mechanism.
    As far as how many bikes it can carry, it all depends on how many mounts you have, I've had seven bikes mounted into a full sized truck.
    The MultiTaskR will fit any truck bed, including the new F150. There will be a few different length cross bars, as well as end caps with different thicknesses so they will fit any width truck bed( or trailer)
    The adjustable accessory mounts work by sliding them to contain whatever load your hauling, they also lock and have an adjustable locking cross bar to secure kayaks, SUP'S, lumber, etc.

Expect to see them in production by the end of this year or early next year.

Thanks,
    Jeff

I Ride Bikes
    how much for a basic kit? ballpark price?
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!
    INSTAGRAM -> hawaii808MTB
    FACEBOOK -> Big Island Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The MultiTaskR will have a base price of around $400 and it will depend on which options you choose to what the final cost would be. For example, to carry 4 bikes, your looking at around $700. The real value comes in at that, unlike most other bike racks, which run anywhere from $400-$1000, which can only be used for bikes, the MultiTaskR has options to haul just about anything and the quality is on parr or above such top end racks such as OneUp or Kaut.

mtbr member
    Hi Jeff,
    What are the options for locking the rack to the truck's bed?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The MultiTaskR uses sockets at the pivoting point which is the lower cross bar. One of the sockets is solid, the other has a hinged clasp that allows removal of the rack while open and locked in the closed position.
    The steerer tube bike mounts also have a locking option and there is a optional cable lock which runs inside the the upper cross bar.

mtbr member
    Thanks Jeff. If you have more detailed pictures of the rack in the locked position (and details of the lock you use) and can post them, that would be great. I'm definitely interested in the system.

J:
    Very nice looking!

Don't remember using an internal steerer clamp like that, is it rubber? Do you guys have any plans to do a hitch mount and/or overhead version?
    video=youtube;][/video]...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    To answer the last two posts, I will post a picture and description of the locking mechanism once I'm back in the office.

The bike uses a proprietary collet system that is inserted into the steerer tube and by using either our QR or our locking knob, the collet is expanded inside the steerer providing a safe, secure and durable mount. The collet is made from delrin and is available in four sizes, two for 1 1/8" and two for tapered steerers. We are also working on a mount for road bikes or bikes with minimal clearance below the fork crown, that uses the main part of the above bike mount, but uses a clamp that mounts to the handlebars.
    As far as a hitch rack goes, I do have a design for one. We have been extremely busy with the MultiTaskR Truck Bed Rack System, as well as a couple of other projects. I hope to have a prototype of a hitch mounted rack by the end of the year.
    To keep in touch or see new product developments as they happen, please visit Home
    Last edited by Hurricane Jeff; 04-14-2016 at 04:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    flipnidaho, here is the locking socket for the MultiTaskR. This socket not only locks the rack into the truck bed, but also used a hinged clasp that allows the rack to be removed in less than 30 seconds. On the other side of the cross bar, a solid socket is used. The system works similar to the clothes rack rod in your closet.

We use proprietary high security bolts ( similar to the locking lugs nuts on your vehicle) and we offer several different configurations of these bolts and the same bolt pattern would be used for every lockable part of each rack with two locking keys provided. Each pattern is numbered to each rack so getting matching replacement bolts/ keys won't be problem.

In our testing, we found these bolts to work more effectively than the simple barrel lock and key used in other systems.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Thanks Jeff. One more question. Is there any drilling required?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    On some trucks you do( have to drill and use screws), but on Ford F150 and F250 from I believe 2005 to present, there is a plate that uses existing holes in the buttress near the tailgate. We are working on a non drill option for use on all others, that incorporate high strength magnets and a bracket which uses the top bed rail holes.