New Tacoma Owner - 2'' adpater for 1up - Any issues?- Mtbr.com
    Bikesexual

We the people ... New Tacoma Owner - 2'' adpater for 1up - Any issues?

I love my 1up rack, and I've never had any issues getting loose on my Mazda3.

I came across a couple of threads yesterday (older threads btw) that said, the rack gets loose only w/the 2'' adapter?

My hitch arrives today for the Tacoma, do I have anything to worry about??

This the hitch I got:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer_Hit...ite/75238.html

Thanks for any feedback. Love my truck!!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    Your Tacoma came without a factory 2" hitch? I've had 6 Tacoma's starting in 1983, none of them ever did not have a factory hitch. The hitch shown should work just fine.
    Last edited by boardguru; 04-18-2019 at 05:20 PM.

mtbr member

1 up

Quote Originally Posted by boardguru View Post
    Your Tacoma came without a factory 2" hitch? I've had 6 starting in 1983, none of them ever did not have a factory hitch. The hitch shown should work just fine.

I've driven my truck with a 2" hitch for over a year with the 1 UP rack (2 bike) without any problems what so ever! I'm going to install 2 new add ons and quick pull this evening, making it a 4 bike carrier. If I have any difficulties I'll let you know.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by boardguru View Post
    Your Tacoma came without a factory 2" hitch? I've had 6 starting in 1983, none of them ever did not have a factory hitch. The hitch shown should work just fine.
    Not factory, it was through etrailer. I couldn't talk the dealer into giving me one lol

Quote Originally Posted by guido316 View Post
    I've driven my truck with a 2" hitch for over a year with the 1 UP rack (2 bike) without any problems what so ever! I'm going to install 2 new add ons and quick pull this evening, making it a 4 bike carrier. If I have any difficulties I'll let you know.
    Cool, thanks! I only carry one bike (I might get a tailgate pad for when I ride with others and have to drive).

But great news the 2'' adapter is not giving you any trouble.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Candlestick Maker
    I switch my 1up between my Prius with a 1-1/4" hitch and my Tundra with a 2" hitch. Works fine on both and I've never had an issue w/ the adapter.

I dig the 1up. So easy to use. Over about 5 years of use, I've had one bolt vibrate off and get lost and the expander ball thingy broke and fell out earlier this year. A quick call to 1up and they sent me replacements at no charge.
    baker

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    I switch my 1up between my Prius with a 1-1/4" hitch and my Tundra with a 2" hitch. Works fine on both and I've never had an issue w/ the adapter.

I dig the 1up. So easy to use. Over about 5 years of use, I've had one bolt vibrate off and get lost and the expander ball thingy broke and fell out earlier this year. A quick call to 1up and they sent me replacements at no charge.
    Sweet! Thanks baker, exactly what I will be doing between the Mazda and the Taco. My girlfriend will drive the truck from time to time, so I will be switching as well.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Hi There!
    I'm using the 2" adapter on my Outback since 2013, never an issue...except once in a blue moon the adapter itself will get a little loose so check that once a while before you put the rack in the receiver.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had it loosen up on me twice when using the 2" adapter. This was with 2 bikes on it, a couple hundred miles of freeway, and maybe 20 miles of bumpy dirt road. It didn't slide out or anything, it was still relatively tight, but I was able to tighten the bolt up a couple of turns. It has never come loose in my 1.25" hitch. Just keep an eye on it.

Bikesexual
    Thanks guys^^ Yeah, I'm very meticulous about checking it even on my Mazda3.

For future reference: etrailer sent me a defective hitch receiver, but they have been pretty good about it. They just shipped me a new on today.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check