New Tacoma - Gas mileage- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Tacoma - Gas mileage

Hi Everyone,

I've just started looking at the new style Tacomas and am wondering what kind of fuel economy you're getting with yours. I'm only interested in V6 4x4 but it would be nice to know if you have an automatic or standard transmission. Also, if you could indicate what size gallon you're using to do your calculations since there are a few different sizes (3.8L, 4.0L, 4.5L).

Maybe to keep it even more simple, how many miles do you usually get per tank.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Car and Driver reported 18 with their long term truck....

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...term_road_test

But they didnt seem to write too much positive about it overall.

BTW, it was an automatic and the 4L.

Braaaapp!
    My mom got one right when they came out, extended cab, 4x4 TRD & SR5 packages. Nice truck. Automatic V6. She drives very conservatively and usually gets around 20-21 mpg, has seen as high as 23 mpg. I threw a snowmobile in the back and drove across the state, driving not-to-conservatively and still managed about 19 mpg.

Good truck, but no longer a "mini" truck by any means.

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    With the 4.0 and the auto, you can get up to 23 miles per gallon. It sure is better than my 3.4 automatic Tacoma I have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam728
    Good truck, but no longer a "mini" truck by any means.
    That's an interesting comment and one which I also felt before looking into them a bit further. They do look much bigger than the other "mini" trucks but if you compare extended cabs or quad cab short boxes, the tacoma is only 1 inch longer than a colorado or three inches longer than a frontier and it is actually not as wide as a frontier.

I think there's some sort of illusion there as they do look a lot bigger but given the size is relatively similar and they seem to get the best gas mileage of the minis, they seem to be a good choice.

Braaaapp!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamer19
    That's an interesting comment and one which I also felt before looking into them a bit further. They do look much bigger than the other "mini" trucks but if you compare extended cabs or quad cab short boxes, the tacoma is only 1 inch longer than a colorado or three inches longer than a frontier and it is actually not as wide as a frontier.

I think there's some sort of illusion there as they do look a lot bigger but given the size is relatively similar and they seem to get the best gas mileage of the minis, they seem to be a good choice.
    I don't exactly consider the Colorado or Frontier mini trucks either though. Look at them compared to older S-10's, Rangers, Toyota Hilux's, Mazda B2000's, etc. Those trucks all were much smaller and MUCH lighter than the newer offerings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    We have a 2007 4runner, almost the same as the Tacoma's.

Our little Mileage thing reports 364 miles per tank, and we usually average 17-19 between city and highway. On long trips we have gotten over 20 (I think it was 22) and that was with the cruise control on.

It's tons better than the old 4runners, but it's still not great. It's about $70 to fill it from 30 miles left worth of gas, at $3.85/gallon.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I have had a double cab long bed with a camper shell and the trd package for about 40,000 miles. It has been simply excellent. I previously owned a ford f-150 and a nissan frontier. The ford was problematic but the nissan was a good truck. I get between 18 and 21 mpg but it seems the amount of ethanol in the fuel reduces the mpg. I have had no problems and none of the issues in the car and driver review. The ground clearance is much better than most trucks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Tons better?????

Quote Originally Posted by spunger
    We have a 2007 4runner, almost the same as the Tacoma's.

Our little Mileage thing reports 364 miles per tank, and we usually average 17-19 between city and highway. On long trips we have gotten over 20 (I think it was 22) and that was with the cruise control on.

It's tons better than the old 4runners, but it's still not great. It's about $70 to fill it from 30 miles left worth of gas, at $3.85/gallon.

I have an "old" 4runner and get the same mileage. 2001 4runner 4x4 (3.4L v6). 23 mpg on distance trips and 17-20 in the city.

another day at the office

18 mpg

We test drove the Tacoma double cab 4x4 and got 18 mpg with our heavy feet during the test period. Click on the link below to read the full review on CarReview.com. Forum members genshammer and el caballo contributed two reviews of the Tacoma.

Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Review
    Some pain is physical and some is mental, but one that's both is dental.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I had an 05 double cab, V6 4x4 w/TRD off road package.. I never got more than 20mpg on 91 octane, even with almost all highway driving.
    Edit: short bed, 6 speed manual.

Members who have read this thread: 0