New Roof Rack (Photos!)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

New Roof Rack (Photos!)

So I decided to try the Thule system this time. I can honestly say that my previous Yakima rack was MUCH easier to install. Installation took about 3 hours including trays. Bikes are very solid up top. I am not to fond of the look of the sidearms when they are folded down, but they do function very well. The plastic pieces that go around the towers are VERY cheap and I have already cracked one.

adam michigan karate monkey

A Mountainside=My Therapy
    Very nice looking. Make sure you have an exit strategy in case you need to throw a cover on the bikes quickly.

mtbr member
    3 hours?? Good lord, mine took 1 hour max, the first time I did it more like 1.5 hours.

code: mtbr2011
    why are you carrying your bikes backwards?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well, For one I didn't want 16" of tray sticking out in front of the fairing. I also would rather have the bug guts splatter on my seatpost rather than my head tube...

Am I at a DISadvantage mounting this way??

And Straz, Last year I did my Yakima system during my lunch break, probably just over an hour...ish, this one for some reason took longer, dont know why... more to assemble/read I guess.
    adam michigan karate monkey

yes you would have some of the tray sticking out in front of the fairing.

you are not at a disadvantage by carrying your bikes backwards, but picture this...you are driving 75mph to your favorite trailhead in a headwind.
    the amount of force against your bike - resistance on your bikes - from that wind is pretty significant, and you're now only securing that bike by the plastic wheel strap that is for the back wheel.

if you forget to do that back wheel strap, you will certainly lose your bike by the time you hit 30mph.

so....if you ask me, and if it were my car - and i know it is not - i would mount my bikes facing forwards, and leverage my bike racks the way they were designed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    SCOTT,
    In you opinion, what are my otions for toting 5 Mt bike around? The Northshore 6 bike does look nice, but the price is up there...

Blue Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com

you are not at a disadvantage by carrying your bikes backwards, but picture this...you are driving 75mph to your favorite trailhead in a headwind.
    the amount of force against your bike - resistance on your bikes - from that wind is pretty significant, and you're now only securing that bike by the plastic wheel strap that is for the back wheel.

if you forget to do that back wheel strap, you will certainly lose your bike by the time you hit 30mph.

so....if you ask me, and if it were my car - and i know it is not - i would mount my bikes facing forwards, and leverage my bike racks the way they were designed.
    I farted and I blew it to my right but I am sure you blow yours left. You may think I am doing it wrong but I will disagree.
    Ragley Blue Pig

right or wrong...it's up to you.
    but when you post a thread cause your bike blew off the rack, broke the sunroof and generally **ck**d up your rack and bike, you can bookmark my post and thank me later.

mtbr member
    mate, the bar end caps are on upside down, so is the sticker on one of your sidearms! Mounting the bikes backwards makes no difference, the only time those wheelstraps snap is when being closed or when someone hits a low structure with the bikes on the roof, never heard of or seen one snap while driving along. Thule and Yakima actually recommend mounting trays backwards in some situations so they ain't worried either

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com

I agree. I have seen people forget to use the straps. If you turn the bikes around and you forget to use the strap its not that big of a deal. Ive also seen the straps break after they get old. I would flip them around too. Its just safer. The straps are just there to hold the wheel in place. When you have the bike flipped like you do, they are also holding the bikes down. There is a lot more force on the little plastic strap.

mtbr member
    i have the same trays and i point them backwards too. if you dont then they stick out 18in over the windshield.

3h is a long time...

Members who have read this thread: 0