new daily driver time, need opinions- Mtbr.com
    방랑외국인

new daily driver time, need opinions

Looking to upgrade the from the old 4Runner and have narrowed it down to the following choices (04-07 used lower miles). Right now I have a hitch mounted rack on the Runner, but than can easily change if need be.

Going to be driven daily, must be automatic (per the wifey). This will be our bigger "fun" rig for camping, fishing, biking, outdoor activities etc. We already have a MPG friendly sedan, so gas is a concern, but not by any means a deal breaker. Might occasionally tow motorcycles, but nothing like a boat. Let me know what you think, why and if you have any first hand experience. Thanks!

• Toyota 4Runner
    • Nissan Pathfinder
    • Audi Allroad
    • Honda Ridgeline
    • Volvo XC70
    Last edited by motard5; 10-04-2007 at 07:01 AM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Audi A4? That's not like the rest of your suggestions. Even as a wagon it will have much more cramped interior space. Poor clearance, etc...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Aquaman
    Funny..I just finished shopping for a new car since my wife hit a bear on HYW 80 outside of Truckee. We had a Ford escape so we looked at some of the same cars you are. Out of those choices I would go with either the 4runner (nice car..dependable but lots of $$$) or the Volvo (Drives like a car.. fast..safe, I have never pulled a dead person out of a volvo yet, but not as much room as a 4runner). Why not a mini van Thats what we got..good on gas handle more like a car and has tons of room.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5
    Looking to upgrade the from the old 4Runner and have narrowed it down to the following choices (04-07 used lower miles). Right now I have a hitch mounted rack on the Runner, but than can easily change if need be.

Going to be driven daily, must be automatic (per the wifey). This will be our bigger "fun" rig for camping, fishing, biking, outdoor activities etc. We already have a MPG friendly sedan, so gas is a concern, but not by any means a deal breaker. Might occasionally tow motorcycles, but nothing like a boat. Let me know what you think, why and if you have any first hand experience. Thanks!

• Toyota 4Runner
    • Nissan Pathfinder
    • Audi Allroad or A4 Avant
    • Honda Ridgeline
    • Volvo XC70
    Myself, I'm a big Nissan fan (own 3 and sold another earlier this summer). However, I have a friend with a Ridgeline and I am impressed by it. It has lots of well thought out features. Doesn't have a low range transfer case though.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

방랑외국인
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Audi A4? That's not like the rest of your suggestions. Even as a wagon it will have much more cramped interior space. Poor clearance, etc...
    yeah i took it off the list, just a thought at the time.

lurkio
    Jul 2007
    Porsche 964 c2 and good friends with vans
    We went, earth, sky, earth sky, earth skyambulance

mtbr member
    I've always loved that old Pathfinder commercial showing the toddler in the backseat (in a child seat, of course) with an ice cream cone during a Dakar Rally (ice cream falls off the cone). Nissans are way cool (used to own a Maxima, IMO a much nice car than a boring as lint Camry/Accord). Car shopping is exciting. Have fun.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    I have an '05 Pathfinder which I bought used a few years ago. It's been a good car, reliable, very solid. I get an average of about 17.5mpg. If I had one thing to complain about it would be the 3rd row seating. It seems like a nice thing to have available, and it is, but I think it ended up taking too much room out of the second row which is pretty cramped for a 6' adult. Personally, I'd rather have more second row room than the 3rd row but, since I'm never back there, it isn't a big deal.

The nice thing about Nissan is that they seem to depreciate quicker than say a Toyota so you end up with a lot of car for the money if you go used. I've owned a number of Nissans over the years and I've never had anything significant go wrong with them (1 alternator in the last 15 years), nothing close to justifying any sort of price premium for a theoretically more reliable brand. Maybe I've been lucky though.

My most important piece of advice would be that you and your wife go check out the options in person. I'm always surprised that one little thing that you never thought of could be a deal breaker. I nixed a Honda my wife was looking at because I couldn't get comfortable in the driver seat. She nixed a Subaru because it was "too long". You get the idea
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

STINKY TOFU
    New 08 Pathfinder with the V8 out of the Titan. Mid size SUV with that kinda power spells all kinds a fun.
    "I'd pee on that"
    -R. Kelly-

Members who have read this thread: 0