New Car Time- Mtbr.com

Thread: New Car Time

Sep 2006

New Car Time

After owning my 2003 Z71 Tahoe for almost 5 years, I am getting ready to move on to something else. My tahoe is going to be a hand-me-down for my 15 year old sister, so I need to make a decision in the next few months. I have no clue which route I should go. I will be starting law school in the fall, so saving money on gas would be a plus. I have been looking at the new jettas or a BMW 328i, but then I am not sure if I want to stick with an SUV. Then of course there is the all important question on MTB compatability. I have a T2 rack right now and absolutely love it. I'd like to be able to use that on whatever vehical I choose.

What are you guys driving and what would you reccommend?

Lord of the Chainrings
    Unless you are a chick, go with the Beamer!
    Jettas are chick cars.

I have a 2003 Z71 lifted Avalanche. Love it! Very versitile.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I've got a VW Golf and love it. Very nimble car and excellent gas mileage.

My wife is a big fan of SUV's but I don't see teh need for one anymore. I don't take it offroad and I don't haul enough crap to warrant the money or gas for an SUV.

Are you looking for something new or can it be used?

-Rob
    "No, you're going to be promoted to GLG-20."

Sep 2006
    I guess it depends on the financing options regarding a new or used rig. I was able to land 0% for 60 months on the Tahoe, so if a good deal comes along I don't mind buying new.

LA CHÈVRE
    I love my Subaru Outback. It handles better than a SUV, goes in the snow better than many SUV, interior is just as roomy as most SUV but it doesn't consume like an SUV. They also handle dirt roads and light off-roading better than a regular car. And you can put any rack you want on it.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If you're concerned about gas, keep in mind that the BMW will drink premium fuel only.

Then again, so does my Civic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Few things:

1. Never buy a new vehicle. It's a waste of money.
    2. Consider a mini-van if you are hauling a lot of people instead of an SUV.
    3. The x-over cars are only getting better.
    4. The Mini Cooper is bar-none the best economy car out there.

If I needed a good, non-4WD, non-gas guzzler and didn't need to haul a lot of people... I would get a used Mini Cooper S with a reciever hitch rack. Fun, good performance, well built, good mileage.

Kneel Before Your Master
    I think a crossover is the way to go. Honda CRV(Doesn't have v6 though), Used Lexus RX300, Acura MDX, Toyota RAV4, Mitsubishi Outlander, etc... They seem to be getting better looking, more functional, and more economical.

Sep 2006
    These are all good suggestions so far. I do have a problem with buying new cars. Knowing it takes a massive hit when you leave the lot sucks, but it has advantages as well. I really like the new 4 runners.

Jan 2006
    I have a 2004 4Runner and absolutely love it.

It's the perfect blend of both on-road and off-road performance.

Kneel Before Your Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bxb03a
    These are all good suggestions so far. I do have a problem with buying new cars. Knowing it takes a massive hit when you leave the lot sucks, but it has advantages as well. I really like the new 4 runners.

Yeah, we never buy new. You can even find something 2 yrs old with 25K or less miles and the price will be $10k less than when new. Still will have plenty of useful life and you save.

Members who have read this thread: 0