Need rack advice. Kuat Sherpa a good fir for an Ibis Ripley?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Need rack advice. Kuat Sherpa a good fir for an Ibis Ripley?

I'm getting back into riding after a 15 year hiatus (in love with FS 29 inch Ibis I rode) Working on getting a Ripley LS and needing a hitch mounted rack for my soon to be here ride as well as my wife's hardtail 29er and her friends bikes.

Probably won't need more than 2 bike capacity for a bit, although hoping my 7 year old catches the fever as well.

Trying to spend as little as possible without leaving us needing a new rack too soon.

Any advice?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've had a Kuat Sherpa for 5 or 6 years now, and its been excellent. I have a range of bikes and its carried eveyone from 26" to 29" to 27.5 to 700 road bikes. I even managed to carry from Surly Moonlander with 5" tires. Its held up great, its light compared to some other racks (Thule). Also I left it on my car one winter and the Vermont road salt really took its toll on the screw tightening mechanism for the hitch sway. Its about the only steel part and it was rusted bad, but Kuat carried replacement parts so it was an easy fix to get a new part. A lot of other racks its difficult to get parts for. I'll also not be using it in the winter again :-)

mtbr member
    Kuat makes some nice racks. The only problem with the Sherpa is that if you won't be able to add on. The NV has the add on options but retails for $550 and the 2 bike add on is $430 so we're talking about $1000.

A 1upUSA, for 2 bikes, is $530 and have the option to add 1 more bike at $370 so $900+ for 3 bikes. Probably not ideal for you. Thule and Yakima are in the same realm as the Kuat NV but a tad cheaper, but not by much if we're talking 4 bikes.

The rack I use is a Inno 305 which is $430 for 2 bikes, but a 1 bike add on is an additional $150.00 and you can hold a max of 4 bikes. The problem with this rack is that is has been discontinued since Inno is more focused on the roof and truck racks. You can probably call RackSolid in SF, where I got mine, and see if they have it and if its discounted. But its a great rack. Its sturdy and easy to use.

TIRE HOLD HITCH : Innoracks

mtbr member
    I have a couple friends that have Kuats and they both like my Thule T2 Pro better. And it has the ability to add on trays for 2 additional bikes for a total of 4.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

banned
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I have a couple friends that have Kuats and they both like my Thule T2 Pro better. And it has the ability to add on trays for 2 additional bikes for a total of 4.
    I had the original transport (just before Thule bought them) and have a couple of friends that have T2 Pros.

I currently run the NV and I like it much better that the Thule offerings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a ibis ripley as well as a kuat nv rack and it works great, it really doesn't matter what bike it is as long as it has a fork and a rear wheel. Kuat racks are great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    Kuat makes some nice racks. The only problem with the Sherpa is that if you won't be able to add on. The NV has the add on options but retails for $550 and the 2 bike add on is $430 so we're talking about $1000.

A 1upUSA, for 2 bikes, is $530 and have the option to add 1 more bike at $370 so $900+ for 3 bikes. Probably not ideal for you. Thule and Yakima are in the same realm as the Kuat NV but a tad cheaper, but not by much if we're talking 4 bikes.

The rack I use is a Inno 305 which is $430 for 2 bikes, but a 1 bike add on is an additional $150.00 and you can hold a max of 4 bikes. The problem with this rack is that is has been discontinued since Inno is more focused on the roof and truck racks. You can probably call RackSolid in SF, where I got mine, and see if they have it and if its discounted. But its a great rack. Its sturdy and easy to use.

TIRE HOLD HITCH : Innoracks
    Not sure where you're getting the $370 for a 1 bike add on on the 1up. It's $199. Not cheap by any means, but $700 for 3 bikes is worthy of your consideration. It's a great set up.