Need lightweight platform rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Need lightweight platform rack

We have a Kuat Sherpa rack which is awesome. Or it was. Worked great for our hardtail mtn bikes but we have recently purchased full suspension bikes. The Sherpa can handle up to a 44 inch wheelbase. Our full suspension bikes have a 46.5 inch wheelbase. They don't fit well on the Sherpa rack......the back wheel looks like it could fall off the rack.

So, I'm looking for a hitch mount (2 inch) rack capable of hauling 2 long-ish bikes, platform type that requires no tools to install on the vehicle, and weighs less than 35 lbs.

any ideas???

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I don't own one of these, so no practical experience, but if I was to ever give up my beloved 1up (not gonna happen), I'd give one of these a look:
    Freedom SuperClamp 2-Bike Car Rack | Saris
    whatever...

mtbr member
    My Saris Thelma 3 carries 3 bikes, is 2" compatible (with included adapter), and weighs about 35 pounds. The 2 bike rack (Thelma 2) will weigh less.

Don't know max wheelbase though, but max weight is 35 lbs per bike. But with a bit of Googling, this is what I found (just some random review):

"If your distance from axle to axle is more than 42 inches - your bike will not fit !!!"

On the other hand, have you looked at the Highland Sportwing? It's not a platform rack, but the bikes are secured by hanging from the front and rear wheels. No frame contact. I have one for the SUV (4 bike capacity) and it's light because the wheel supports can be removed from the backbone (hitch frame). The 2 bike version is very light. Hanging the bikes from the wheels gives it a little "fudge" factor, so long/short wheelbase bikes should fit. I've had kids bikes on there, as well as a neighbors XL 29er hardtail. The only thing I'm not happy with on this rack is the cheap rubber straps which I replaced with nylon straps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    I'd give one of these a look:
    Freedom SuperClamp 2-Bike Car Rack | Saris
    That's what I use. It's been great. Highly recommended.