Need a hitch rack for 4 bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Need a hitch rack for 4 bikes

I'm a newbie to mountain biking and I have a family of 4 this summer.
    I wanted to take the rest of my family to local parks and got everyone bikes.
    I need a hitch rack for 4 bikes, on a budget would be nice, don't want to spend too much and then get the wife treatment

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    What kind of car will you be using? What size hitch does it have on it? How much are you willing to spend? Who will be putting the bikes on the rack?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I see lots of happiness with 1Up that would probably break your budget, and Saris. Saris is a great company that makes stuff in US. They are based near me and I've been really impressed by the way both their owner and employees give to the community they're in. My own Saris and 1Up purchases have been great.

mtbr member
    I've been using a Hollywood 4 bike hitch rack for about a year with no issues. You can run it to hold two bikes to make it smaller when the family isn't going..or throw the four bike extension on when they are.

Picked it up on amazon. 103 reviews and a five star rating.

Edit: 399.59 shipped.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have Toyota Venza.
    Budget is up to $400.
    I will be putting bikes on rack.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Whatever you choose, and if the Venza's receiver can handle the weight, I strongly recommend that you look at a platform rack. I have had three bike racks in 2 years - the first two being the typical hanging racks (Hitch mounted bike rack || Hang2 bike rack (New)). Putting four bikes on these racks, with a mix of kids and adults bikes, was challenging. I now use a platform rack (Swagman - Semi 4.0, purchased through Craigslist at a significant discount) and could not be happier.

Before you buy, make sure the rack will fit the receiver and that the total weight of the rack and bikes does not exceed the receiver's limits.

Token Hillbilly
    I've had a Thule T2 with the extension for about 5 years now. It's pretty much bombproof, but heavy. That might be a turn-off for some, but it lived through a pretty bad wreck while on my jeep and the only real damage it has is some scratches and the paint has faded some... Ohh.. And my dog chewed on one of the wheel platforms making it look a little janky. Lol

I shopped around and was able to get the main section for around 250, and later got the extension for another 150.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

mtbr member
    I just bought a Thule Vertex 4 swing away carrier (model # 9031) for my Jeep. It retails for $399 but all retailers are selling Thule racks at 20% off so I paid $319. Got mine at REI. There is also a Vertex model (model # 9029) that doesn't swing and that runs about $100 cheaper. Both will give you access to the hatch on your Venza. My tailgate swings out so that's why I picked the 9031. It's a very solid rack. Note the 9031 is for a 2" hitch only. The 9029 can be used for 1-1/4" and 2" hitches.

mtbr member
    Love my Thule T2 with extension! Carries all four of my families 29ers without any issues at all.

'14 Demo 8 II
    '13 Stumpjumper FSR Elite
    '13 Stumpjumper HT Comp
    '13 Roubaix Elite Apex