need a better way to transport bikes in my truck- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

need a better way to transport bikes in my truck

I am thinking about getting the dakine pick-up pad but not sure if it will work with my truck. My truck is a 2008 Dodge Dakota and it came with a little spoiler on the tailgate. So I'm wondering if the pad will fit over that spoiler and if the bikes will fit right on it. If not what are my other options?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails need a better way to transport bikes in my truck-truck1.jpg  

need a better way to transport bikes in my truck-truck2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    or was thinking about the Softride 26461 Shuttle Pad

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustinf View Post
    I am thinking about getting the dakine pick-up pad but not sure if it will work with my truck. My truck is a 2008 Dodge Dakota and it came with a little spoiler on the tailgate. So I'm wondering if the pad will fit over that spoiler and if the bikes will fit right on it. If not what are my other options?
    Those look like tailgate protectors? That built in track on the sides of the bed look like a great way to transport a bike, what am I missing?

Thanks,

roog

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have a similar track in my tacoma, and I use a ratchet strap and a couple bunjees to secure it to the side. Takes a minute to undo, and I don't have to remove wheels or anything. I'm not crazy about the pickup pad because of how far I have to drive, and it not being the smoothest ride either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by roogie View Post
    That built in track on the sides of the bed look like a great way to transport a bike, what am I missing?
    Pickup truck + Mountain Bike + Ratchet Strap = EASY. Seems like a waste of money to buy a bed rack of some kind.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    sorry didnt notice them, my truck doesnt have the track on the sides

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    For anyone with a soft tonneau cover I found a really cool solution. I bought a set of these rain gutter brackets from a company called summit racks (link below) which allow you to mount a rain gutter style rack system to the bed rails of your truck and still be able to install a tonneau cover. I set mine up with a high roller and cargo box. One of the best things about this set-up is that I can remove the rack in literally minutes if I need to haul something large in the bed.

Summit Racks: Pick up truck recreational rack system rain gutter brackets for use with ThuleŽ & YakimaŽ rack systems and accessories
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gig'em Aggies!
    After using the homemade PVC pipe rack for a while, I decided to purchase the locking Rocky Mounts clutch and bolt them to the front of my bed. Works perfect and acts as another tie down point when I am hauling something other than the bikes. I had to use a dremmel to cut through the bed liner, but it turned out perfect.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nothing wrong with the old hook and ratchet straps, or if you have a headache rack on the truck that works great for strapping the bikes sidways

mtbr member extraordinair
    I know a lot of people like to complain about having to take off the front wheel, but seriously it takes all of 15 seconds. I like to follow the KISS principle.

Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

keeptrollintrollintrollin
    ^^^ I'm with this guy... except mine are mounted to the side of the toolbox in the back of my truck. Works nicely!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Curb huggin groove junkie
    Feb 2012
    I've looked at a few options including the ones mentioned here. KISS would be 2 tie downs, has worked for years with my dirt bikes, I'm sure it can handle a bicycle =)

That said, the extra money in my pocket, kinda makes me want to spend cash on something I don't really need.

However typing this has reminded me that sticking with tie downs, means I have a little extra cash to put towards the wheel set I have been eyeballin.

Members who have read this thread: 0