Need advice -rack company that won't back their product- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Need advice -rack company that won't back their product

On our way back from the ZOO-de-Mack bike ride my Saris Graber T-Rax snapped in half landing our bikes in the middle of the freeway. Thank God no one was injured.
    My problem is that Saris will not back their product. They will only give me 50% of the repair costs (the cost to repair only—no cosmetic repairs) and a new rack. With this I can only get one bike fixed in working order (it will never look like it once did) and I would have a rack from a company that I nolonger trust.
    Can anyone give me some advice as to how to convince Saris to fix my bikes??

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sad to hear of that situation. From experience with other similar type of cross damage., fridge go bad -loose food in it, well it covers only so much, and nothing is going to change that unless you further covered yourself with your home owners insurance or something like that. I would venture to say they that if they are replacing the rack, and giving you 50% for incidental bike damage, that will be all you can get.
    How old was rack by the way? then again that brings up, length of warranty issues. So many variables like recommended max bike weight, driving conditions that may have exerted extreme stress.

How to convince them for more? hmmm have you previously suggested to other biker buddies to buy the rack you have ? if so point that out. Did it break in a weld area if it has welds ? if so photo that and email/send it to them. If it broke in weld and was recently new, and your bikes/gear within recommended weight limits, maybe push that safety angle. Perhaps tell them to keep the rack and just repair bikes since you will have no confidence in it anyway. OR ask them to upgrade rack, along with the bike fix.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sorry to say, you're getting a better deal with Saris than you probably would with most companies. If it were a brand new rack that failed catastrophically like that, they might be willing to make more concessions, but most companies including Saris have warranties that only cover the rack itself, and not what you put on it.

One option would be, if I had a customer who had bought their bikes and the rack from me and Saris made that offer to them, I would consider giving them a break on cost of repairs. Also, I would consider letting them exchange the replacement Saris for another manufacturer's rack. If you bought your stuff online, good luck getting someone to help with that. Not every shop will, but you can bet that more shops than online sellers would.

ballbuster

Second that...

Quote Originally Posted by eric1115
    Sorry to say, you're getting a better deal with Saris than you probably would with most companies. If it were a brand new rack that failed catastrophically like that, they might be willing to make more concessions, but most companies including Saris have warranties that only cover the rack itself, and not what you put on it.

One option would be, if I had a customer who had bought their bikes and the rack from me and Saris made that offer to them, I would consider giving them a break on cost of repairs. Also, I would consider letting them exchange the replacement Saris for another manufacturer's rack. If you bought your stuff online, good luck getting someone to help with that. Not every shop will, but you can bet that more shops than online sellers would.
    Sounds to me like they are covering their product.

I would be happy if they covered the rack. That's all they are really on the hook for. Getting them to pony up for half your bikes is pretty dang sweet.

Did you inspect the rack for cracks at any time? Have you ever left the bike rack on the car while publicly parked? I'll be somebody backed into your car in a parking lot and damaged your rack, and you didn't see it.

Saris makes pretty bullet proof racks. Making a rack that doesn't break isn't exactly building a space shuttle.

Do you have pics of the broken pieces?

b a n n e d
    You may want to also consider contacting your auto-insurance company. Considering this was an auto-related incident, they MAY choose to cover all or a portion less your deductible. Check your "Comprehensive" policy.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    It's not "their" product.

Their product sits in boxes in their warehouse until they sell it.

At some point, I'm guessing that you bought it. That means that YOU own it. And YOUR rack broke, while mounted to YOUR car, damaging YOUR bikes.

What happened was unfortunate, but it sounds like you're being taken care of pretty well. What they are offering you is reimbursement far beyond any profit that they ever made on the sale of that rack.

Single Speed Junkie
    Sorry to hear about the situation. It is never good to hear of bikes ejected on the freeway.

Normally I've only heard of a company covering their product and your SOL for anything attached or near it when it failed. Covering a new rack and offering to pay for half the repairs sounds pretty decent to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Simple Answer: Sue the store or company in small claims court for the full amount of rack + bikes.

There is an implied warranty, regardless if they say so or not. Them offering to give you half the cost of the bikes is just them trying to pay you off, knowing that they are indeed liable for the total cost. Both the store and the company are liable for this, provided it was indeed a defective rack that was "new".

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Might be faster and easier to see if it's covered under your homeowners or auto insurance.

Sue in small claims court and I believe the enforcement of the judgment is up to you. That probably puts you right back where you started.

J.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Anybody else notice that this was his first post?

Quote Originally Posted by LoriL
    On our way back from the ZOO-de-Mack bike ride my Saris Graber T-Rax snapped in half landing our bikes in the middle of the freeway. Thank God no one was injured.
    My problem is that Saris will not back their product. They will only give me 50% of the repair costs (the cost to repair only—no cosmetic repairs) and a new rack. With this I can only get one bike fixed in working order (it will never look like it once did) and I would have a rack from a company that I nolonger trust.
    Can anyone give me some advice as to how to convince Saris to fix my bikes??
    I'm guessing that the offer of a brand new rack for free plus half of what it costs to repair your bikes probably turns into an offer to let you go pound sand up your ascend once someone sends a copy of your post to here:

http://www.saris.com/contact-us-2.html

...and they find out that AFTER offering you more than you had coming, you joined a discussion forum for the sole purpose of talking crap about them to anyone who would listen.
    Last edited by RIS; 10-04-2010 at 02:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    Might be faster and easier to see if it's covered under your homeowners or auto insurance.

J.
    I'd say your best bet is to turn it over to your insurance agent and let the insurance company handle it.

Members who have read this thread: 0