Need advice to on hitch/towbar bike carrier- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Need advice to on hitch/towbar bike carrier

I found this two bike carriers and not sure which one to go for.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441904073.647686.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  86.4 KB
    Need advice to on hitch/towbar bike carrier-imageuploadedbytapatalk1441904099.791413.jpg
    The top one is designed to hold (balance) the bike in the middle of the frame and alleviate front and back movement.
    The second one is like a fork, designed to hold the bike at two point of the bike frame, but doesn't separate bikes as much as the first one.
    I have 2 bikes and both of them have a non-rounded top tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

> /dev/null 2&>1
    What kind of bikes? High end AL and carbon top tubes don't like being clamped. With the 2nd rack, you could use top tube extenders.

mtbr member
    I'll assume both of these are cheap as dirt bike racks on craigslist or something. A lot will depend on the bikes you're carrying (as mentioned above). Also, what size hitch do you have? both will hold the bikes, but when you drive, the bottom of the bike will sway back and forth every time you stop and go.

I used a cheap harbor freight hitch rack for about a year. It actually worked well, and only cost $35 plus a pool noodle, duct tape and bungee cords. It worked with my full suspension and hardtail bike, but it would allow the bikes to sway. I'd have to remove the front wheel and bungee cord the bikes to the hitch rack's vertical tube to keep it from swaying, which caused some paint rub. In time, I ultimately ended up buying a good hitch rack with anti-sway craddles, because I figure it was something I'm going to use often enough I want it to last, I didn't want to damage my bikes, and I wanted to be able to easily remove and install it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I use a Witter ZX88 carrier that fits on our tow bar bracket and still allows us to tow our caravan too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    @ Procter & watts888 - I have Avanti Montari and Avanti Competition bikes.

The top photo has a yellow strap (not a clamp on model). It's an Aussie local brand which cost $150 new.

I was really keen on the top one as it will at least hold the bike in place. As for the bottom of the bike, I was planning on doing something like a pool noodle to keep the bikes separated. As to swaying bit, my car has a spare tyre at the back so hopefully I can tie using ratchet straps.

Any other users that use the same???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sorry from that top pic I can't tell where the thing slides into the hitch mount. Is it upside down or something? Why does it split in two? Where do bikes hang? It's weird.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Your Best Friend
    Do you have a cheap as dirt bike? Why are you looking for a cheap as dirt rack?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    @bamwa - where it splits into 2 is the base, where the straps are is at the top. You put the middle of the frame of the bike on the top then strap it in. So in the first photo you sort of balance the bike vs the 2nd photo where the bike's frame is held in two spots.

@Silentfoe Just bought the bikes. Still saving up for a good bike carrier. Only looking for something temporary. Choosing the lesser evil.

mtbr member
    still not getting how the top pic attaches. Does it bolt to a bumper instead of sliding in a hitch? That would explain the split. Send a link or other pic of the top one? Maybe saris bars would allow you to use it.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.