The nation's first "mountain biking" themed license plate!- Mtbr.com
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

The nation's first "mountain biking" themed license plate!

Idaho is almost at the finish line to get the nation's first "mountain biking" themed license plate in 2011! (Yeah, I said Idaho - really!!) One governor's signature (and some fund raising) away from being able to purchase this plate in 2011!!

Check the blog in my signature for more details.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The nation's first "mountain biking" themed license plate!-mtb-compressed.jpg  

Last edited by Earthpig; 03-19-2010 at 09:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    nice.. i wish we had that!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Nope, we already got one here in AZ, it's that "evolution" one where the rider evolves into a mountain biker.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Nope, we already got one here in AZ, it's that "evolution" one where the rider evolves into a mountain biker.
    Which one is it? I'm not seeing one.

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/vehicle/mvdplate.asp#WC

Colorado, Kentucky, Ohio, Florida Tennessee and Washington have cyclist plates, but they're all roadie-specific "share the road" plates. Arizona doesn't have one, at least as far as the Arizona's transportation department's website shows.
    Last edited by Earthpig; 03-19-2010 at 08:28 AM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Which one is it? I'm not seeing one.

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/vehicle/mvdplate.asp#WC

Colorado, Kentucky, Ohio, Florida Tennessee and Washington have cyclist plates, but they're all roadie-specific "share the road" plates. Arizona doesn't have one, at least as far as the Arizona's transportation department's website shows.
    I didn't see it there either, but I've seen it a few times over now, as the guy that has it has a WRX Sti, very distinctive. His license says something like "DH RACE", which is pretty cool. It's definitely AZ and definitely a mountain bike plate.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I didn't see it there either, but I've seen it a few times over now, as the guy that has it has a WRX Sti, very distinctive. His license says something like "DH RACE", which is pretty cool. It's definitely AZ and definitely a mountain bike plate.
    Maybe they discontinued it, or maybe the AZ DOT doesn't have it listed. You got a picture of it? I did a LOT of research before embarking on my project and found no others. A quick intergoogles search using the terms "mountain biking vehicle special license plate" only pulls up stories about Idaho's plate.

Well, anyway, if AZ actually does have one, fantastic! But, I'd still love to see the design.

Edit: It's probably a 1 off customized front non-official plate that isn't an official AZ license plate. AZ typically only issues rear plates.
    Last edited by Earthpig; 03-19-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I'm going to quit beating this dead horse, but since I have been interviewed many times about the Idaho plate and one of the questions that comes up every time is whether any other states have a mountain biking themed plate, I called the AZ DOT. They do not have nor have they ever offered a "mountain biking" license plate.

So, anyway, the Idaho plate should go on sale in 2011.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    That is a really cool license plate!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Will those funds go towards some sort of mountain biking charity or park ?

Here in Fl, such designed plates cost you up to $50+ more a year.

But that Idaho plate is really sick

Members who have read this thread: 0