My Ute rack- Mtbr.com

Thread: My Ute rack

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

My Ute rack

Hey guys, this is my home madey. Im pretty proud of my design and although a bike rack is a bike rack its still my original design, built for what i need.
    Ive never really done much metal work up until i made this frame but ive done stacks of design and built lotsa different stuff so i sorta had an idea of what i was doing? Im so stupid!
    After a 5 minute run down on how my mates pipe bender and tig welder works he was off to work and i was left with tools, pipe and to my own devices.
    Got the pipe bender sussed straight away "easy" and started spot welding the frame together. Only problem was id never used a automatic welding helmet before and had no idea what to expect? i thought these things are great you can see everything as you weld! Turns out i didnt turn it on and it didnt black out once and id been using it for hours! Yeh i got Flashed like a hundred times, OUCH!
    Anyway the final product worked out good, my mate was amazed i did so well and he finished off welding it up nice for me. Ive also had nothing but compliments on how well it works, it fits 5 bikes max, end-end. I also have a better design which i will make up soon and use this rack for indoors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

NMBP
    Looks good
    My auto dark helmet will protect from IR and UV in the Off position, so maybe you didn't do as much harm as you might think.

Members who have read this thread: 0