My Truck- Mtbr.com

Thread: My Truck

wait a minute....

My Truck

Some duma$$ remodeled it for me yesterday.

this dude crossed a double yellow line on a curb and hit me head on. I cant move a dam thing. At least the bike survived,but I wont be using it for a while.Why did this dick have to screw up my riding season?10 more seconds and i would have been gone, the double yellow line would have been gone,and there was a 1\4 mile pasing zone with no cars
    Attached Images Attached Images

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGMA
    Some duma$$ remodeled it for me yesterday.

this dude crossed a double yellow line on a curb and hit me head on. I cant move a dam thing. At least the bike survived,but I wont be using it for a while.Why did this dick have to screw up my riding season?10 more seconds and i would have been gone, the double yellow line would have been gone,and there was a 1\4 mile pasing zone with no cars
    Sorry to hear about/see that. Wish you the best to a full recovery in due time. Glad the bike survived and you are still typing. Where did this occur?
    Tuff Schist

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! Three words for you...(plus an explanation why)

Lawyer.

Reckless Endangerment.

I'm not one to advocate needless lawsuits, but get the idiot for all that's available. I had a similar incident years ago, settled with the insurance due to the pressure I felt from them, and regretted it when I had problems that could be attributed to the incident. Don't sign or settle anything, know your rights and take full advantage of the time allowment. You never know, months from now when your shoulder, neck, foot, knees, back may be getting funny.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    Lawyer.

Reckless Endangerment.

I'm not one to advocate needless lawsuits, but get the idiot for all that's available. I had a similar incident years ago, settled with the insurance due to the pressure I felt from them, and regretted it when I had problems that could be attributed to the incident. Don't sign or settle anything, know your rights and take full advantage of the time allowment. You never know, months from now when your shoulder, neck, foot, knees, back may be getting funny.
    I couldn't agree more. The trouble of finding a competent lawyer is well worth it. You won't regret it in the end. Think about it, you've really got nothing to lose by not settling with the insurance company. Unless you're settling for 1.3 million..........

wait a minute....

Wink i wont settle for just anything

i have never even thought about sueing anyone before. i'm 47 and have been in accidents before. This was no accident, It was just careless ignorance. I wouldnt sue for an honest mistake but I will for this.I called a lawyer the morning after.This guy could have easily left 3 kids with no dad.not to mention how long if ever I will heal up.I broke my collarbone a few years ago and it hurt like hell.this feels like that except it is everywhere between my waist and neck.I cant turn the other cheek on this one.
    Typing courtesy of hydrocodone

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGMA
    ...I cant turn the other cheek on this one.
    Typing courtesy of hydrocodone
    Serious bummer. Time to take somebody to the cleaners.

Go get 'em.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

those are Rollercams...
    I've also neither sued nor thought of suing anyone ijn my life (I'm 45)
    My first impulse in situations such as this is settlement via the Code of the Streets,
    however upon reflection, a good personal injury lawyer can work wonders.

Stick it to 'em.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Devolution is real!
    Man do I hate acidents! I am glad to hear that you are ok.

paintbucket
    Ouch. But your kids still have a dad, and that's the really important part.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member

Glad to hear you are OK - not the alternative.

Some cheap (free) advice:

- Take it easy, real easy. I went through back-to-back rear end collisions (I was hit), and I tried to get back into normal activities too early. Kept me out even longer. The real crappy part was that my kid was just 6 and it was painful to play with him.

- Get a doctor that deals with these kinds of accidents for treatment and rehab. Get two or three, the cost is on the other insurance co. Don't be shy about getting opinions. If they have you go to their doc, he will find you ok (again, personal experience). I am still bothered to this day, 18 years later, about some of the injuries sustained.

- Get a good attorney. Some personal injury attorneys know how the game is played, and can get an edge on the insurance co. I am an attorney, and my attorney recommended her attorney for personal injury that she used (confused yet?). It was a good recommendation, the guy was great. Helped with the docs, the rehab, and got me a good settlement. Ask your attorney who they would recommend (as long as they are not getting any sort of referral fee . . .).

Hope you heal up good and fast.

Rick
    "Oh, and how dare you accuse me of lying, drinking, getting high" DessertRagged

Recovering couch patato
    That's rough man, glad you lived, as did your bike.

Get the best possible from it, some time to hang with the kids, a fresh cleaner (more economical) car, and at least a new bike for you and each of your kids.

A friend of mine was scooped up from the road by a mototist that just turned right after overtaking him on his cycle path, and didn't bother to check for traffic. His settlement allowed for upgrades over his wrecked bike, and a new VooDoo frame. He missed half a riding season though.

I'm not a fan of the lawsuit culture, but in such cases by all means get your due.

Good luck with the discomfort, pain and aftermath. Take it easy!

J

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm very sorry to hear about your accident. I survived a 65 mph head on collision on Aug 13, '03. I know how you feel. I was driving an F150, the guy that hit me was in a Durango. He was killed instantly, I walked (kinda) away. I can't believe that hydrocodone is all you are taking. My situation was different than yours, but I'm sure that you are having some of the same thoughts regarding your family and life that I did. I'm 45 and have a beautiful wife and daughter that I cherish more now than I ever thought possible. Focus on the positive stuff during your healing process. The insurance and lawsuit stuff will take care of itself in time. I ended up settling without an attorney (I got the same $$ that I would have after the attorney's fees, and didn't have to wait the extra year, minimum). When my doctors gave me the final analysis of the long term affects would be, I came up with a $ amount that made me happy, called the insurance company and told them to send that amount within 7 days and it would be over. They saved about 2/3's and it was over for them too (after I signed the release forms, which you will do anyway). Just make sure that you know what your health situation is before you do this (you and your doctors know better than your attorney how you will feel in 10 years). I'm not saying that you shouldn't at least consult with an attorney (I interviewed 5 at 3 different firms), just that you may not need one. Don't let anger make this decision for you.
    I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Remember, its good that it hurts when you breath, because your breathing!
    c

wait a minute....

Oh yeah, I'm glad to be here

My family is too.I know things could be worse.I also know this hurts like hell.I dont think i am crippled for life,but I may feel this for life. I never been hit that hard ever.I got stuff hurtin I never felt.I wish I had something better than hydrocodone but its better than nothing. i have doctors appointment monday and will probably see several more.I went to the trauma unit after he hit me to get checked for internal injuries. No bleeding just cracked ribs and some bruising .Now I have to get checked for the long term. Thanks for all you guys advice. this is all new to me,I've never been hurt by someone elses ignorance like this.I have often thought that lawsuits were selfish. They are usually against someone who really didnt deserve it.Victims of circumstances. This time I am the victim. this guy created the circumstances here and he will have to be liable for that.

75% Mountain cycle

My insurance just went up

I hope your injuries are not permanent. If they are a law suite may be the best way to replace the lost income and lost quality of life you may experience in the future.

It may be a good time to reflect on the mistakes you have made in your life and be grateful they didn’t come back to haunt you like they did to this guy who hit you. You may have drifted over the double yellow in the past and have been lucky there was not a car coming the other way. Or maybe you have drifted off onto the shoulder while you addressed an issue with your children in the back seat and been lucky that no road biker was riding on that shoulder and in your path. We all make mistakes every day – once in a while we unintentionally hurt someone else.

You may win a large settlement. The insurance company pays and they’re not about to loose any money. They pass that pay-out along to the average consumer. Their CEO still gets his huge salary. The lawyers get their money. The rest of us struggle to feed the family and barely afford bike parts as we pay our mounting insurance premiums and co-pays.

If your going to recover physically, it may be a good time to count your blessings and cut your losses; get a new truck, get a new bike, and start over. Forgiving this guy who hit you just may very well free your soul and make your life better than it was before.

If this reply makes any of you angry, know this – sometimes the guilty take the truth to be hard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    That's pretty much what I told my wife when 1) she got rear ended, 2) she got rearended again, 3) I got a ticket. Sure enough a month or two ago she rear ended someone, and got a ticket in the same week.

what goes around comes around. It could be that Sigma is the delivery man this time.

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

Members who have read this thread: 0