My New Bike Hauler- Mtbr.com
    Oh, So Interesting!

My New Bike Hauler

I sold my Subaru and got a Chevy!

I had a '16 STi and before that two WRX Hatchbacks. The new STi has it's pros but overall is a very poor bike hauler. One reason is it's aerodynamics w/bike rack sucks vs the WRX hatchs, putting 2 bikes on the back using my 1UP rack would kill fuel economy on the highway the same way you'd expect out of a roof rack. Add to that an AWD system that is much less efficient vs the WRX (3 LSDs vs open diffs) and any newer full sized pickup will use less gas vs the STi on the highway.

My new Camaro hardly notices bikes on the back and gear in the trunk vs my Subies. 6.2L motor making 455 lbs of torque helps... it's the same motor in trucks that have 12,000 lb tow capacities. Highway fuel economy with bikes is about 30-50% better vs STi (no kidding!) Overall fuel economy is slightly better all around with 150 more hp and the car weighs about 300 lbs more. Fun to drive? Subie wins only on snow or dirt covered roads when it's EMPTY... which is rare. With bikes the handling is compromised and the car does not perform as intended.

It's practical enough for me. Neither this car nor a STi will carry more than 2 bikes/2 people + gear anyways.

Just thought I'd put this out there for folks who want a sporty car that can also carry bikes. So far this is working out great. 1UP rack fits perfectly.

mtbr member
    Dang, get there FAST!

Need to get black bike or are you coordinating with the Chevy's brake calipers?

Nice ride.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

Elitest thrill junkie
    Oh yeah, it goes fast!

My New Bike Hauler-img_5340.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    Dang, get there FAST!

Nice ride.
    Thanks, and yes, the bike does match the brakes, lol... the color is a little tweaked in the pic, it's actually a dark grey metallic. I hope to keep both the car and the bike for a long time.

I'll miss the STi, but people should really skip the new ones. Buy a 1st gen instead, '04-'07, do some mods to make it reliable and reinforce the chassis (too many to list), get a flexfuel tune and have a superior car vs the new ones for much less $.

I also want to encourage more people to check out Camaros, the new ones are really good, worth looking at if you're considering a sporty German car. The SS 1LE Camaros are better, just not as practical as a BMW M or Audi RS sedan. This and the Corvette are the cars GM really got right, but nobody even knows the Camaro is new in '16 and uses the same chassis as a Caddy CTS-V. GM misses the mark with a lot of their cars in one way or another... It sucks to see the sales are down so far they discontinued all those cars and people lost jobs. I can't believe they ditched the Volt especially.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Oh yeah, it goes fast!
    Sweet, looks like we have twins!

The car is really fast... I can't wait to get it on a track and learn to drive it with the traction and stability controls off. I've only had it a few months so it's just broken in, right in time to throw winter tires on it. I went with 265/40/19 Michelin PA4s all around, they have surprising amounts of grip for winter tires on cold, dry pavement. I work from home and live within a mile of lots of stuff so driving is optional for me.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post

I also want to encourage more people to check out Camaros,
    Cool car for sure, wouldn't really fit my lifestyle but cool nonetheless. Also might have issues in a few weeks getting to some of the trail heads

Elitest thrill junkie

I had a '16 STi and before that two WRX Hatchbacks. The new STi has it's pros but overall is a very poor bike hauler. One reason is it's aerodynamics w/bike rack sucks vs the WRX hatchs, putting 2 bikes on the back using my 1UP rack would kill fuel economy on the highway the same way you'd expect out of a roof rack. Add to that an AWD system that is much less efficient vs the WRX (3 LSDs vs open diffs) and any newer full sized pickup will use less gas vs the STi on the highway.

My new Camaro hardly notices bikes on the back and gear in the trunk vs my Subies. 6.2L motor making 455 lbs of torque helps... it's the same motor in trucks that have 12,000 lb tow capacities.
    I don't think that's quite right, although it's the same block as the truck engines I believe, much is different about the LT1 in this car, basically everything that bolts to the block, due to the application.

In any case, the 1LE is an absolute monster. I used to have a WRX too and it's amazing how much grip this thing has. I love the fact that GM simply has not held back with these cars, putting the widest rubber on that they could and giving it the best suspension they could. This is basically the ZL1 chassis with the NA engine, which since shifting out of 2nd gear when the shift-lights come on the HUD is 80mph, I feel just fine. Numerous dynos are showing whp just above 400, which is damn good everything considered. WRX STIs were often around 240 or so. It's just a blast to drive though. One of the primary reasons I got it was that it only comes in stick-shift.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    It might be useful for a roadie.

But how do you do these things?

My New Bike Hauler-20130915_123208_resized.jpgMy New Bike Hauler-20131203_192452.jpgMy New Bike Hauler-p1060529.jpg

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post

I don't really need to do any of those things.

For snow it has a snow/ice driving mode and Michelin Pilot Alpin snow tires. The tires are amazing and I'd bet the car will beat a Subaru with all season tires on it in the snow. It has a computer controlled locking rear diff as well.

Most people who drive trucks rarely use them as intended, imo they make good 2nd vehicles but poor primary vehicles.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Dang, get there FAST!

Nice ride.
    I don't think that's quite right, although it's the same block as the truck engines I believe, much is different about the LT1 in this car, basically everything that bolts to the block, due to the application.

In any case, the 1LE is an absolute monster. I used to have a WRX too and it's amazing how much grip this thing has. I love the fact that GM simply has not held back with these cars, putting the widest rubber on that they could and giving it the best suspension they could. This is basically the ZL1 chassis with the NA engine, which since shifting out of 2nd gear when the shift-lights come on the HUD is 80mph, I feel just fine. Numerous dynos are showing whp just above 400, which is damn good everything considered. WRX STIs were often around 240 or so. It's just a blast to drive though. One of the primary reasons I got it was that it only comes in stick-shift.
    It's mostly the exact same engine. Intake and exhaust manifolds are different, peak torque is at 4100 vs 4400 rpms and 460 vs 455 lb-ft, power is 420hp at 5600 rpm vs 455 at 6000.

Pre variable valve timing the engine would probably have more significant differences, but the LT1 in the Camaro produces something like 350 ft-lbs at 1000 rpm, it's a little bit ridiculous. It drives like a big block at low rpms and still screams up to 6k. It is pretty awesome.

The chassis is really amazing... the car is very stable and easy to drive vs a Corvette. I think that's both good and bad, it makes it feel a bit normal on the street even if you're hauling a$$. I just hit 2k miles yesterday and can't wait to get it on the track this spring!

mtbr member
    the Camaro is new in '16 and uses the same chassis as a Caddy CTS-V
    I didn't know that. In my opinion, that adds to the Camaro for me. I'm partial to the "V". Had a 1st gen 2006 back when Caddy was starting to toy around with jumping in the high performance sedan market, and have been a fan since. Bought it new, and drove the crap out of it. Although it was a beta in my opinion. A blast to drive but a bear to work on. Had to pull the motor partially to change its plugs. I guess that happens with a car that was designed for a 3.6L V6 and you stuff a Chevy LS6 v8 into it. And forget about aftermarket wheels. The only car (not trucks) I've ever had that had 6 lug nuts. The only glitch, and a biggy, the rear end couldn't handle the torque-to-weight ratio. At least not the way I drove it. By the time my 100,000 mile warranty expired, I went through 5 rear ends (the original plus 4 replacements). Actually cracked the housing. Nothing like a 4,000 lb Cadillac four door sedan with a Corvette Chevy V8 and 6 speed manual transmission that went from 0 - 60 in less than 4.5 seconds with a top speed of nearly 165... and you could drift it! Talk about a sleeper. And to think the latest CTS-V is hitting 60 in 3.7 and reaching 200 MPH. That ain't your Gandaddy's Caddy.

Anyway, congrates on the Camaro. A car with a legendary history...
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

Elitest thrill junkie

I take my shitty honda

Moderator Moderator
    The 1/4 mile times of stock production cars today is pretty incredible. My dad had a drag car, and the gold standard amongst enthusiast drag racers was a 10.90 in the 1/4 mile. His car was a stripped down, blown 350, drag car with slicks, and it barely rand 10.90s. Today stock production cars can run this or better!

mtbr member
    I take my shitty honda
    if I add up the price I have paid for my three vehicles, 1 hyundai and 2 ford trucks they do not add up to the price of my bike.

Nice car. I worked for a subie performance shop. fun to drive but not practical unless its a forester and you dont mind poor gas mileage.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Easy, leave my WRX and Trans Am in the garage and take my Suburban or Silverado instead.

Congrats on the Camaro Dave! That thing is sweet AF.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    The 1/4 mile times of stock production cars today is pretty incredible. My dad had a drag car, and the gold standard amongst enthusiast drag racers was a 10.90 in the 1/4 mile. His car was a stripped down, blown 350, drag car with slicks, and it barely rand 10.90s. Today stock production cars can run this or better!
    And they get over 20 MPG! My 70's era 12 second muscle cars got 8-10 MPG (plus a few lbs of N2O) on a good day.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Dang, get there FAST!

Nice ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    I didn't know that. In my opinion, that adds to the Camaro for me. I'm partial to the "V". Had a 1st gen 2006 back when Caddy was starting to toy around with jumping in the high performance sedan market, and have been a fan since. Bought it new, and drove the crap out of it. Although it was a beta in my opinion. A blast to drive but a bear to work on. Had to pull the motor partially to change its plugs. I guess that happens with a car that was designed for a 3.6L V6 and you stuff a Chevy LS6 v8 into it. And forget about aftermarket wheels. The only car (not trucks) I've ever had that had 6 lug nuts. The only glitch, and a biggy, the rear end couldn't handle the torque-to-weight ratio. At least not the way I drove it. By the time my 100,000 mile warranty expired, I went through 5 rear ends (the original plus 4 replacements). Actually cracked the housing. Nothing like a 4,000 lb Cadillac four door sedan with a Corvette Chevy V8 and 6 speed manual transmission that went from 0 - 60 in less than 4.5 seconds with a top speed of nearly 165... and you could drift it! Talk about a sleeper. And to think the latest CTS-V is hitting 60 in 3.7 and reaching 200 MPH. That ain't your Gandaddy's Caddy.

Anyway, congrates on the Camaro. A car with a legendary history...
    Thanks!

It is too bad the Caddies were unreliable when they came out, I think they are better these days. Now they have the LT4 motor from the Vette Z06 and Camaro ZL1 and a computer controlled locking rear diff. If you don't need the luxuries the ZL1 Camaro is an amazing car, basically the same car Jayem and I have + 200 hp. The Caddies got a new chassis, the Alpha chassis, in 2012 and the Camaro used it with the new model starting in 2016. Now there is a 2nd gen Alpha chassis on it's way.

It is interesting... now the German cars are faster in a straight line with their direct injection turbo motors, but the Chevys keep up or beat them on the track because they handle better. While the SS may be "slow" at ~4 sec 0-60 and mid 12s in the 1/4 vs a 911, the LT1 V8 is an incredible motor.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Easy, leave my WRX and Trans Am in the garage and take my Suburban or Silverado instead.

Congrats on the Camaro Dave! That thing is sweet AF.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    now the German cars are faster in a straight line with their direct injection turbo motors, but the Chevys keep up or beat them on the track because they handle better.
    Definitely a role reversal...

Moderator Moderator
    American metal! Farmtruck runs low 9s in the 1/4. He has a dirt bike strapped in the back, so it does qualify as a bike hauler!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    American metal! Farmtruck runs low 9s in the 1/4. He has a dirt bike strapped in the back, so it does qualify as a bike hauler!

That looks like the Texas Motorplex down in Ennis. Not too far from our south Dallas mountain bike trails.

mtbr member

My new Camaro hardly notices bikes on the back and gear in the trunk vs my Subies. 6.2L motor making 455 lbs of torque helps... it's the same motor in trucks that have 12,000 lb tow capacities. Highway fuel economy with bikes is about 30-50% better vs STi (no kidding!) Overall fuel economy is slightly better all around with 150 more hp and the car weighs about 300 lbs more. Fun to drive? Subie wins only on snow or dirt covered roads when it's EMPTY... which is rare. With bikes the handling is compromised and the car does not perform as intended.

It's practical enough for me. Neither this car nor a STi will carry more than 2 bikes/2 people + gear anyways.

Just thought I'd put this out there for folks who want a sporty car that can also carry bikes. So far this is working out great. 1UP rack fits perfectly.

I don't really even like those, but that thing is incredible looking
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Elitest thrill junkie
    They come with some nice stoppers too.

My New Bike Hauler-img_5736.jpg

Oh, So Interesting!
    They come with some nice stoppers too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5736.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	382.3 KB 
ID:	1228753
    I changed the pads to Powerstop Z26, will keep the stock Brembos for track.

I can't deal with the incredible amount of brake dust!

Luckily they are easy to change out, basically a larger version of a mtb brake.

mtbr member
    I love the ease of changing brembo style calipers. Way easier than my truck. Nothing like having to disassemble everything and pull the axle out. Curse the inventor of drum brakes. Yea it's 4 wheel drums....

I always preferred hawk pads but they can be noisy depending on the compound.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Dang, get there FAST!

Nice ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    I love the ease of changing brembo style calipers. Way easier than my truck. Nothing like having to disassemble everything and pull the axle out. Curse the inventor of drum brakes. Yea it's 4 wheel drums....

I always preferred hawk pads but they can be noisy depending on the compound.
    Powerstop Z26 are a decent downgrade from stock Brembo but they don't make brake dust and are smooth and quiet. Also, about $125 for front and back, which is cheap for what they are... the 6 pot Brembos are so much brake that a downgrade on the street isn't going to matter much.

The brake dust w/stock pads is a problem if you drive the car daily. Apparently you don't want to leave it on there too long, but I'm also not a fan of cleaning my wheels that often.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I never really understood the obsession with brake dust.

mtbr member
    Weird, my wrx averages 28.5mpg over its lifetime and holds 4 bikes and 4 people. Had a Ď00 camaro sS with a built motor previously. Cool car but youíre smoking something if you think itís better than an AWD Subaru in the snow. My camaro used to get stuck in anything more than a couple of inches. Sweet car though!
    Denver, CO

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Weird, my wrx averages 28.5mpg over its lifetime and holds 4 bikes and 4 people. Had a Ď00 camaro sS with a built motor previously. Cool car but youíre smoking something if you think itís better than an AWD Subaru in the snow. My camaro used to get stuck in anything more than a couple of inches. Sweet car though!
    I've had a '10 and '14 WRX hatchbacks as well.

The cars got mid 20s unloaded all around, 30 on the highway. With 2 bikes it drops to 25 highway even with a hitch rack. The STi gets about 5 mpg worse because of it's awd system, wider tires and lower gearing. With 2 bikes on the STi you're probably not getting 20 mpg highway and the engine is being overworked.

I never said anything about a Camaro being better in the snow, you're smoking something if you thought you read that. I said the STi was amazing in the snow, and it is, but it's a one trick pony. WRX are only ok in the snow, the STi is so much better in comparison, the 3 LSDs make the car very predictable and easy to drift. The WRX gets upset much easier by varying traction and cornering forces because of it's open LSDs.

Anyways, I'm done with Subaru for now. The new WRX is a nice car but not a legitimate performance car and the STi's drivetrain is more than ready for retirement. If you want an AWD turbo Subie I'd recommend a 1st gen STi and build the motor with forged internals and flex-fuel, run E85 whenever possible.

I hope for 2020 Subaru can come up with a more modern STi.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I never really understood the obsession with brake dust.
    Obsession is a strong word.

Brake dust is caustic and shouldn't be left on your wheels if you want to keep the finish looking good. You can put one of a gazillion coatings on the wheels to protect the paint but the dust should still be removed regularly.

IMO, it's just much easier to use less expensive pads that don't create dust on the street and save the $$ Brembo pads for the track. It's not like you need the Brembo pads for street use, it's massive overkill.