My DIY Hitch Rack

Printable View

  • 02-01-2010
    pop_martian
    My DIY Hitch Rack
    Pictures of my sort of homemade hitch rack. I welded some scrap metal together and used some existing Yakima mounts. Not including the Yakima parts (which I already had) the total cost was about $6.

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4323989002/" title="DSC08189 by Pop_martian, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4034/4323989002_fa9cc38b0f.jpg" width="500" height="334" alt="DSC08189" /></a>

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4323990382/" title="DSC08190 by Pop_martian, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4067/4323990382_8b91007e5d.jpg" width="500" height="334" alt="DSC08190" /></a>

    This will hopefully save a little gas on longer trips. If anything it will at least be easier to load and unload the bikes rather than using the roof rack.
  • 02-01-2010
    pimpbot
    Nice!!
    I might just suggest putting some kind of anti corrosion stuff inside so it doesn't rust itself from the inside out.

    Excellent work!!
  • 02-02-2010
    ae111black
    Looks sweet! I've been looking at making somthing similar for my wifes 07Crv.
  • 02-02-2010
    GEARHEAD_ENG
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I might just suggest putting some kind of anti corrosion stuff inside so it doesn't rust itself from the inside out.

    Excellent work!!

    Might be able to spray some under-body coating on the inside... usually works pretty good.

    Looks good!
  • 02-02-2010
    kntr
    Or just take it off when you are not using it and store it in the garage or out of the rain, since its only one bolt to remove.
  • 02-02-2010
    pop_martian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kntr
    Or just take it off when you are not using it and store it in the garage or out of the rain, since its only one bolt to remove.

    Exactly. I don't plan on leaving it on all the time.
  • 02-02-2010
    cracksandracks.com
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GEARHEAD_ENG
    Might be able to spray some under-body coating on the inside... usually works pretty good.

    Looks good!

    i agree this looks good....
    something i have seen here that some guys have done with their lumber and ladder racks, is to have them sprayed with a rhino lining, or line-x for pickup truck beds. it's super durable, easy to clean and seals moisture.

    just an idea, i'm sure you could probably find a guy that does that service in your area, and have him spray down the whole rack, ( minus the bike trays).
  • 02-02-2010
    david8613
    looks light, is it heavy?
  • 02-02-2010
    pop_martian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by david8613
    looks light, is it heavy?

    It probably weighs 25 pounds or so.
  • 02-02-2010
    highdelll
    looks flexy
  • 02-02-2010
    pop_martian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by highdelll
    looks flexy

    Quite the opposite. It is made from welded 2" steel tubing. If memory serves, racks such as the Thule T2 are made of 1.25" aluminum. So it's thicker and heavier than a T2. The frame doesn't flex at all. I can stand on the ends and jump up and down. Holds just fine.:thumbsup:

    I would wager that it could stand up to more abuse than an aluminum made rack.

    Edit: The receiver part on the T2 might be steel.
  • 02-02-2010
    highdelll
    ^^ aww man!
    joking :D
  • 02-02-2010
    Rock Climber
    Nice work, I like it!
  • 08-16-2010
    jeeper006
    that is EXACTLY what i am in the process of doing. looks great, i may steal a few tips from urs and implement them to myn!!!!!
  • 08-18-2010
    Keven Peterson
    funy car
  • 08-19-2010
    Kaizer
    Nice rack! (no pun intended... LOL)

    PopMartian
    I'm looking into DIYing something like this myself. Do you happen to have a tutorial (step by step guide with equipment selection) on hand?

    Thanks in advance.
  • 08-19-2010
    pop_martian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Kaizer
    Nice rack! (no pun intended... LOL)

    PopMartian
    I'm looking into DIYing something like this myself. Do you happen to have a tutorial (step by step guide with equipment selection) on hand?

    Thanks in advance.

    Not really. I just made it up as I went along. Just make sure you get your spacing just right between the bars so your bike doesn't hang over too far to one side.
  • 08-19-2010
    jeeper006
    my DIY rack looks similar to yours, except i have a piece of angle iron instead of the gutter channel. My only conflict is how to secure the bike besides just strapping the wheels down. Im thinking of a way to fabricate an arm that clinches the top tube. My only dilemna is making it look half decent and fold away.
  • 08-19-2010
    pop_martian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jeeper006
    my DIY rack looks similar to yours, except i have a piece of angle iron instead of the gutter channel. My only conflict is how to secure the bike besides just strapping the wheels down. Im thinking of a way to fabricate an arm that clinches the top tube. My only dilemna is making it look half decent and fold away.

    I made it so I could use my Yakima mounts on it. I am using two King Cobra mounts which seem to do the trick nicely.:thumbsup:
  • 08-19-2010
    Snosaw
    Is that a Snow Leopard or a blue merle aussie in the second photo?
  • 08-19-2010
    pop_martian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Snosaw
    Is that a Snow Leopard or a blue merle aussie in the second photo?

    Blue Merle Aussie.
  • 04-23-2011
    azbiker27
    Nice rack and nice looking dog.