My custom hitch rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

My custom hitch rack

I posted a shot of this rack when it was still in the build phase a while back. I finished it and am pretty happy with the result. I just use a cable lock through the bike frame/wheels and through the trailer safety chain loop on the hitch. I usually don't even lock it up because it goes right back in the basement after a ride.

It's mounted on my 07 4Runner. I think the truck can go just about as many places as my Rockhopper.

Kyle

Edit: Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics - can't justify spending so much on a camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My custom hitch rack-rack-1.jpg  

My custom hitch rack-rack-2.jpg  

'10 Rockhopper Comp Disc 29er - gonna ride it til I break it.

code: mtbr2011
    nice job...looks good.
    photos aren't that bad either.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Looks good. Got a link to your build thread?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sorry, no build thread and I didn't take any pictures along the way. It's pretty simple, really. 2" square tube w/ a hole for the hitch pin, 1/4" plate for the hinge (torch cut, sanded clean on the edges), used a 3/4" bolt for the hinge pivot, welded the nut to the bolt. Top pin for the hinge is another 3/4" bolt w/ a smaller hole drilled to accept a quick-pin for easy removal. Main frame is 1.5" square tube. The horizontal square tube is 1" and the wheel loops slide on them (wheel loops attach via more 1.5" square tube - had to file the tube seam from the inside of these pieces so they slide easier.

All the clamps are 1/4" bolt, with a "T" handle on them. The T-handle bolts thread into corresponding nuts which are welded to the sliding 1.5" square tube.

All the wheel loops can slide to accept different sizes/shapes of bikes and tire sizes (yes, big fat snow tires fit too). Frame clamps slide and lock in the same way.

The whole thing took me about 8 hours to build and I have about $50 worth of steel in it, plus a can of primer and a couple cans of paint.

Kyle

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Very cool! Kind of reminds me of the iSi Advanced 4x4 Bicycle Carrier (made in Australia and too damned expensive to export here to the states)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Good eye - that's the rack I based my design on. Mine is certainly heavier than the iSi model (steel v. aluminum) but I'm not too worried about weight - it's light enough that I have no problems installing/removing it. Although, it can get a little heavy when it's loaded with 2 bikes and tipped away from the rear hatch.

The clamp doesn't lock the bikes to the rack and I don't have any way to lock the rack to the vehicle, but if I keep a cable lock in the 4Runner in case I need to leave it on the rack when I'm not around. Usually it's Basement > Rack > Trail > Rack > Basement so I don't have to worry about it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here's a good way to lock the rack to the vehicle, and add an anti-rattle feature too:
    locking hitch pin

I'd be really interested in seeing more pictures of your build if you don't mind... see if I can build one myself or get someone local to do it.... or maybe you can start making them and selling them yourself If iSi sold there racks here in the US I'd have already bought one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the hitch pin link - I think I will go that route. I don't have a ton of free time to be making and selling racks, but if you are interested, pm me and I'll see what I can do.

I will try to get a few pictures of the rack as it is, but I didn't take any pictures during the build process. Are there any specific shots you would like to see?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by noshow
    Thanks for the hitch pin link - I think I will go that route. I don't have a ton of free time to be making and selling racks, but if you are interested, pm me and I'll see what I can do.

I will try to get a few pictures of the rack as it is, but I didn't take any pictures during the build process. Are there any specific shots you would like to see?
    I'm curious about how the rack pivots down to allow access to the back hatch, and how the connectors are attached for tightening the arms.

Regarding the anti-rattle hitch pin: I can personally attest to how well they work. I've been using it on this set up (below) and it keeps things nice and secure:

Members who have read this thread: 0