MWE Roc vs Kuat NV Racks- Any thoughts?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

MWE Roc vs Kuat NV Racks- Any thoughts?

Okay, I sold my car and got an FJ Cruiser. I need a hitch mount. Research says these two are the leaders of the pack. Here are my thoughts so far:

1. MWE only holds max 2 bikes. Once in a blue moon I will need to carry 4. Kuat can add 2 more.

2. I don't think Kuat fold down feature will allow rear door to open (side not top) with bikes on it while MWE will swing out and allow door to open. I don't know how big a deal this really is or how often I will need to actually open and close the rear door with bikes on the rack.

3. I like the MWE tire cradle over the Kuat fork tension holder (at least I think I would based on my thule mount from my old roof rack).

4. They are roughly the same price. Can the MWE carry skis too? I read that but don't see that on their website anywhere. That would be a plus.

5. 90% of usage will be for me only with my Maverick ML8 with Duc fork.

6. The built in work stand in the Kuat seems pretty cool.

Does anyone have any experience with both or thoughts on one vs the other? It seems like Kuat is well reviewed here and there is not much info on the MWE rack.

Thank you in advance.

EJ

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I guess i Need to add 1up 2" receiver model to the list. Like the kuat it appears it's biggest issue is the fold down vs the fold out of the MWE rack. But the MWE is limited to two bikes only.

Clearly the 1Up is a forum favorite.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I guess it all depends on how you want to use it. The MWE looks like a disaster-ball of pivots and links. Putting it away, moving cars, etc, looks like it would be a huge hassle. To be honest, I've never even heard of MWE until now. I'm biased towards the 1up but the Kuat is the only other rack I'd remotely even consider. Reading what you like/dislike about the two, it seems like the 2" 1up is the best of all worlds. Its Achilles heel is price. No getting around that. However, unlike some other expensive products, you'll never be disappointed when you go to use your 1up. And, the tray system is modular so you can defray the cost if need be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I was a Kuat NV user and it was an extremely well made the rack. However, I sold for a couple reasons.
    The NV did not accept my fat bike tires. It would hold them, but not as securely as I wanted.
    I, like you, have a gate mounted spare (Wrangler), so I had to use an extension. While it was secure enough, I hated the overhang. With four bikes, it stuck out very far. I considered the 1Up, but a buddy of mine that worked at a LBS told me to stay away due to a number of issues with the 4-bike (I won't go into details... as there will be a ton of folks on this board that have them and will defend them to the death). In the future, I may consider getting a Kuat Sherpa or 1Up (2-bike) for my wife's car. No spare concerns and will likely use for my 9'ers.
    I ended up with a North Shore Rack and I love it. There are a few quirks (see Anthony's post: https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/fo...ml#post9077990)... and it's pricey. But I have finally found a rack to suit my needs (both on and off-road).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What's the problem with the 4 bike 1Up? Definitely a fan but I'm always interested in what the problem could be?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Complaints of highway speed stability and issues with the hitch mechanism loosening. Again, that was the four bike model... Not the two bike.
    I, personally, dig the 1up design on the single bike model and will consider in the future. But with a family of mountain bikers, the NSR4 meets my current need.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've never heard of that happening. It's interesting to hear. The mechanisms between the two racks are identical so what is true for one would be true for the other. It's interesting that there isn't more talk about that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Maybe an isolated incident, I'll have to ask him for details.

mtbr member
    I have the Kuat NV and love it. It is well made and looks great. The work stand is cool but I have to say I have only used it a couple times but when you need it, it's great. I have been on the freeway 90+and on some pretty knarly off road and had no problems. One of the best things about Kuat is the customer service, I have had my rack for about a year and broke the work stand by being an idiot. It was totally my fault and I sent an email to Kuat, I had a brand new one in about a week, no questions asked.

mtbr member

X2 on NV

I also have the NV and love it. No issues with the rack!! Easy on easy off no hassle type of rack!!
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5
    2015 Giant TCX SLR 2

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Check out the Raxter, just bought the the duopod and also the plus 2, can carry four bikes and doesnt touch the frame, not many moving parts and holds down both wheels . This one does not fold up or down. Travel from Florida to GA alot and any movement in the racks seem to increase as they get older from the highway movement. So far I like this one. Just mentioning it, because they dont seem to advertise much.

Members who have read this thread: 1