The MTB Gods were smiling on me today...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

The MTB Gods were smiling on me today...

I've got a 2002 Jetta TDI that has become my bike hauler. I bought the OEM bars and added a Thule fork mount bike rack.

The OEM bars have a C channel type deal on the top of the bars where you slide in your bits and hook up the accessories. I had been using the Thule fork mount for well over a year with these bars and I was very happy with it all. Bike seemed sturdy, out of the way and I hadn't driven into the garage with a bike up top yet.

I went out to ride a local place, and you have to drive about 1/4 mile on a dirt road with a few bumps and ruts to get to the lot. No problem, or so I thought. Apparently the rocking back and fourth weakened the bars. As I left today, I saw out of the corner of my eye the shadow of my bike fall over on the roof accompanied by a loud thump. Hmmm!!!

Turns out the OEM bars with that aluminum C channel broke. I lucked out BIG time that this happened where it did (5 mph, parking lot) and not on the road. If the bike had fallen the other way, it probably would have come completely off the car and it could have gotten far uglier. Zero bike damage and a nice roof dent. I will gladly take the roof dent. I spent the PM fabricating and changing the way the rack mounts to the bars, it is very solid now.

Moral of the story.......check those roof rack mounts!
    Attached Images Attached Images

out of shape
    i used my roof rack the first time the other day on my tdi, it was pretty scary and i thought it was gonna fall over, i dont the fork mount which made it scarier, there is a bar that connects to the down tube to stabile it alittle bit but it was still swaying alot, its survived though. what did you do to improve the rack?
    doylestown pa
    SS cannondale F6

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Instead of one mounting point for the fork lock, I drilled out two others on the sides. I also was able to use longer bolts that mount to the actual frame of the roof rack, not just the bars.

Watch the wobble.....It might get you someday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Aiiighh!!! I've also managed to put a scar on my car. Roof racks are great, but you gotta pay attention with them. It seems sooner or later something will get damaged.

out of shape
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsteve
    Instead of one mounting point for the fork lock, I drilled out two others on the sides. I also was able to use longer bolts that mount to the actual frame of the roof rack, not just the bars.

Watch the wobble.....It might get you someday.
    im confused, all this talk about frames and bars, for a minute i thought u bolted ur bike and handle bars to ur rack

i kinda got it, not really though , if u ever get a chance u should post some pictures
    doylestown pa
    SS cannondale F6

Members who have read this thread: 0