Mounting bike w/cables on bottom of toptube- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Mounting bike w/cables on bottom of toptube

Probably a stupid newb question, This is my first bike in about 20 years

Have a Giant Yukon and the cables all run along the bottom of the toptube.
    The only way to mount the bike on my rack (THULE 914 4 bike rack) is by sandwiching the cables between the rack and the toptube which will most likely scratch the frame of the bike. Will this damage the cables? The cables are exposed where they lay on the rack.
    It just doesn't seem like this is a good idea and being a total newb, I don't know. I tried repositioning the bike but the only way I can get it on is by mounting the rear of the top tube and the front of the bottom tube. Suggestions?

Mommy's Little Monster
    You may get a couple scratches from the cables. If you have an old inner tube, cut off a slab of it and put it between the frame and the cables. Another option is to get a contraption like this one: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4414
    Those seem to work pretty well in some cases.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I picked up the yakima Tube Top frame adapter as it received some good reviews. Should be here in a few days. Thanks for the help.

Mommy's Little Monster
    Keep your eyes in the rear view mirror and make sure your seatpost clamp is tight. Should be fine though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I thought about that.....I'll just make sure I strap the frame to the rack as well in case something decides to slip.Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0