Mounting bike inside of SUV?- Mtbr.com
    YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004

Mounting bike inside of SUV?

I have an SUV and I am wanting to build something to mount the bike inside. I was thinking of using a Yakima Blockhead and mounting it to a 2x4 or a piece of plywood. I assume the best way is to have the rear wheel toward the front of the SUV and the forks mounted to the Blockhead toward the rear of the SUV. I plan on putting down a blanket or something to keep the muddy tires off of the carpet. But how do I keep the wood block or plywood that the Blockhead is attatched to from sliding around? If I put it behind the wheel wells it won't move toward the front, and if it is the width of the SUV, it won't move side to side. But it would slide around from the rear of the wheel wells to the back of the SUV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lemmy999
    I have an SUV and I am wanting to build something to mount the bike inside. I was thinking of using a Yakima Blockhead and mounting it to a 2x4 or a piece of plywood. I assume the best way is to have the rear wheel toward the front of the SUV and the forks mounted to the Blockhead toward the rear of the SUV. I plan on putting down a blanket or something to keep the muddy tires off of the carpet. But how do I keep the wood block or plywood that the Blockhead is attatched to from sliding around? If I put it behind the wheel wells it won't move toward the front, and if it is the width of the SUV, it won't move side to side. But it would slide around from the rear of the wheel wells to the back of the SUV.

I've got two fork mounts screwed onto a 2x10, lay it right on the floor, doesn't move around at all...

YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004
    So what keeps it from sliding? Just the friction of the 2x10 on the carpet of the SUV?

mtbr member
    Yep. No problem so far, and I'm on my third season with this setup. If you attach the mounts on an angle you can easily get two bikes in side by side. I have an older two door Tahoe, and four bikes will fit, alternating forward and back, but I can only take one passenger when hauling bikes.

paintbucket
    If it does slide, cut up an innertube and wrap it around the ends or something. That should do the trick. Or you can do like I did and just get a couple of rubber floor mats for back there.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

jrm
    mtbr member

The weight of the bikes..

Quote Originally Posted by lemmy999
    and cutting out the ends of your wood to confrom with the inside contour of the suv works..for me...

mtbr member

Best SUV bike rack

This the best solution bar none. Much cleaner looking than 2X4's and such. Works great in my Toyota Sequioa. Holds two bikes inside no problem, even has an attachment for the loose wheel.

http://www.saveaload.com/bikecarrier.htm

I love burritos.

Idea!

Why the Yakima Blockhead? Performance has the XPORT Bike Mount for $9.99 (half the price). I'm all for cheap.

Pick up a 2x4 for $2 and cut it to fit the width of your vehicle to prevent lateral movement. As for any fore and aft movement, pick up some velcro (either strips or squares) and super glue the hook side to the bottom of the 2x4. The friction from the hooks will secure the 2x4 against the carpeting. I did this for a large rubbermaid tote I have in my trunk. It used to slide all over the place and drive me nuts. Now it doesn't move whatsoever, even when I drive like a bat out of hell.

mtbr member
    That would be an awfully short loop, but you could practice your j-hops over the third row seats.

mtbr member
    I'm planning on making a mount this afternoon using a BikeTight and some OSB I've got lying around to put inside my Scion. I'm planning on cutting to fit into a spot in the back where it wouldn't be able to slip much, but the velcro idea is brilliant. If I can find my camera, I'll post some pics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    in my grand cherokee, i bolted my mounts to the back of the rear seats and they were out of the way when the seats were up. flip the seat down and the bike goes in with the forks forward, and the muddy tire is not all over the cargo area, it is the last thing to go in and the first to come out...
    " No! try not, Do or do not. There is no try. "

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have a VW Golf and I just fold the seats down and lay the bike in the hatch, without taking the tire or anything else off the bike. Easy, secure, and free.
    If you can't go fast with a $500 bike, a $5000 bike won't help you.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead
    Why the Yakima Blockhead? Performance has the XPORT Bike Mount for $9.99 (half the price). I'm all for cheap.

Pick up a 2x4 for $2 and cut it to fit the width of your vehicle to prevent lateral movement. As for any fore and aft movement, pick up some velcro (either strips or squares) and super glue the hook side to the bottom of the 2x4. The friction from the hooks will secure the 2x4 against the carpeting. I did this for a large rubbermaid tote I have in my trunk. It used to slide all over the place and drive me nuts. Now it doesn't move whatsoever, even when I drive like a bat out of hell.

my local perf had 'em for 6.99!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by atvsmurf
    in my grand cherokee, i bolted my mounts to the back of the rear seats and they were out of the way when the seats were up. flip the seat down and the bike goes in with the forks forward, and the muddy tire is not all over the cargo area, it is the last thing to go in and the first to come out...
    My truck is my beater. I put the rear tire in first so the mounts are in back where I can access them easily from the same spot I was in when I loaded the bike. The difference being, of course, you seem to care about the interior of your truck... hey, I vacuum mine like, once a year.

mtbr member
    The problem with lying it down is it can be very bad for the bearings in the BB and the pedals, since you're putting pressure on them from the side and they're not designed to handle it. When I used to lay my bike down in the back of my pickup I would lay the bike down on top of a very sturdy box (like the boxes they sell paper in) so the down and seat tubes were resting on the cardboard, taking all weight off the pedals. I even thought about making something out of wood, but the truck died before I had a chance.

Pedalphile

I have a similar set-up

Nissan Xterra with two Yakima Block Heads (not worth the extra $$$- buy Performance Brand) mounted to what used to be a shelf from my entertainment center. It measures about 12" wide and fits between the two mounting points in the rear of my X. Due to the surface area, it doesn't really move around, but adding velcro to the back is a future upgrade. I have it cinched down with a ratchet strap now. I just painted the wood black and drilled holes for the Block Heads. I angled the block heads slightly so that I could have room for wider bars/ bar ends. Rear tires touch the front seats and get mud on them, but I don;t care- they're covered in neoprene- it cleans up in a snap. Works well, don't have to worry about theft or rain.
    "A witty saying proves nothing."- Voltaire

Eric

YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by atvsmurf

This is a pretty good idea. I think it is easier to put the bike in wheel first, but if I put it in fork first, I wouldn't have to remove my seat post. My SUV roof drops down just a bit toward the front to allow room for the moonroof when opened.

YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead

I agree, but I can get the $20 Yakima at my LBS and I needed it the next day. I ended up just cutting a 2x6. My SUV is actually so short that the bike couldn't slide forward because the rear wheel was up against the front seats. Then I just wedgeed something between the 2x6 and the rear to keep it from sliding toward the back. I didn't move at all.

In the area behind the rear seat I have a plastic cargo tray with a lip around the edge. I would have to remove this so the carpet would be exposed if I wanted to use the velcro.

Braunstein Frere
    Nov 2004
    What the hell is wrong with simply throwing them in the back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Braunstein Freres
    Nuttin. If it works for you, just do it...

YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Braunstein Freres
    The "throw them in the back" people seem to really get upset if anyone wants to do anything different.

My vehicle has a 1 1/4 receiver hitch. The bike racks that fit that only hold 2 bikes. I usually go biking with 2 buddies. That is 3 bikes total. I do not want a roof rack because I have already had an accident in the past with one of those. Also, I can't take my bike in to work with a bike on top (clearance issue). If I put 2 bikes on the back rack, then just throw mine in the back, I have to lay both rear seats down. Now unless I want 2 guys to share the front seat, then this just isn't going to work. If I have a cheap $15-$25 mount to hold the bike upright, I can lay down one of the back seats. So then there are seats for 3 people, and a place for 3 bikes.

Anyway, my SUV is kind of small and I still have to take the front wheel off to get it in even if I do just toss it in the back. Also, I think it is much easier to just roll the bike in (with the rear wheel) and mount the forks, than it is to try to scoot the bike in on its side. I have generally just thrown my road bike in on its side, but I am looking forward to using the mount now. The road bike was always sliding around or hitting the side of the SUV and making a noise.

One other reason is that if I lay both rear seats down, I can haul two bikes inside (can't do that with the throw it in method). My wife and I go road biking sometimes and if we go somewhere to eat after the ride, the bikes are somewhat safe inside. I have had many friends that have had bikes stolen off of exterior racks (even though they were locked).