Mountain Bike Jeep Rack options- Mtbr.com
    The Rowdy Scotsman

Mountain Bike Jeep Rack options

So check this out...
    Living near a busy city driving a Jeep, I find myself being tailgated quite often. So I made a custom built hitch bike rack to go on my front bumper. I decided to carry my mountain bike on my front bumper so I didn't have to worry about some jerk destroying my bike if I was rear ended.

Just last week I was traveling some back roads coming home from a trip and had a deer run out in front of me... I barely missed the sucker and if I hit him it would have destroyed the bike not to mention what it could have done to my Jeep and me.

I've also got a Jeep roof rack to carry my mountain bike up top. So this past weekend I was carrying my bike on top of the Jeep rack. I don't usually carry my bike on the roof rack and as I was driving into my garage.. I forgot my bike was up there, drove it right into my garage top and destroyed it myself... yea I fell real stupid about this and it's almost funny now that I look back. I did so much to prevent my bike being damaged and then I destroyed it myself. Go figure.

So now I'm looking into other options for carrying my mountain bike without using the roof rack and without carrying it on the front or rear hitches. I've been thinking about purchasing a swing away tire rack for my Jeep and mounting my bike rack between the tire and the Jeep's tail gate, so it's up high and some what protected from rear end collisions by the spare tire.

So my question is...
    Do any of you guys have any other suggestions for carrying my bike on my Jeep that would help keep it out of harms way?

I'm not interested in a tire mounted racks or a hitch racks.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    leave it on the back, if you get rear ended, its the other guys fault and you get a new bike out of it. however if you do get a swing away tire carrier with a wide tire, some the racks wont fit without an extention piece.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sorry to hear about your bike and that is why I don't like those racks.

But really, I had to read this thread to see how you were going to get a Jeep on your mountain bike. :P

banned
    Sep 2005
    Jeep. Roomy. Bike inside, problem solved.

The Rowdy Scotsman
    Yea, I thought about sticking it on the back and if it's smashed by the driver behind me... we'll I'd get a new bike out of the deal. The problem is... I have the best bike I've ever had, it's dialed in perfectly and I don't want to rebuild. Second problem with that is what if you're on a road trip, driven a few hours, about at the trail head and you're rear ended... Now your bike is ruined, you can ride, you can't get home in time to get the spare in time for the ride... you're SOL.

But I've figured out the solution... I did some research online last night and found the perfect swing away tire where I can mount my bike up and behind the tire. It's going to work perfectly. I'll post pictures of my build once I start welding it up and it's finished.

group W bench member
    I drove a jeep for years. Use a tire mount rack for the bikes but also get one of those hitch hauler platforms for the hitch reciever. The platform comes in handy anyway, but if you get hit, it'll take most of the impact. I also drilled new holes in the tire mount rack and moved it a couple of extra inches. Good luck Ken
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

There's no app for this.

2/3 are shot

front = hit deer or you rear end someone yourself; roof = hit garage.

So you must ask yourself, how many times have I actually been rear-ended? Or is it just irrational fear?

Since the front and top don't work for you, and the sides and bottom aren't going to be viable, try the back.

Just my .02

Jim

The Rowdy Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    front = hit deer or you rear end someone yourself; roof = hit garage.

So you must ask yourself, how many times have I actually been rear-ended? Or is it just irrational fear?

Since the front and top don't work for you, and the sides and bottom aren't going to be viable, try the back.

Just my .02

Jim
    Hit in the rear 5 times over the years.
    Never hit a deer before, but I did kill a telephone pole once.
    The back is where I'm looking... just a bit more out of the way in the rear
    For example here is what I have come up with as my solution. I found this on the web:

There's no app for this.

Ouch!

I've only been hit once (destroyed a brand new Heckler).

5X? time to mount a small cannon that auto fires when you are being tailgated?

Good luck, Jim

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I like that rack a lot. I have a hitch rack on my Jeep, and I feel like it's in the way when I don't have a bike on it. Was that something you made yourself, or did you order it from somewhere?
    (when you said you saw it on the web, I wasnt sure if you saw it there, or ordered it from there)
    Either you rode today, or you didn't.

The Rowdy Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Michael
    I like that rack a lot. I have a hitch rack on my Jeep, and I feel like it's in the way when I don't have a bike on it. Was that something you made yourself, or did you order it from somewhere?
    (when you said you saw it on the web, I wasnt sure if you saw it there, or ordered it from there)
    Hey John,
    I haven't actually got this Tire Carrier/Bike rack... I found this photo on the internet a bout a year ago looking for different bike mounting solutions for my Jeep. I put this project on the back burner... figured it could wait. But when I wrecked my bike into my garage last week I picked it back up... I wish I had acted on this idea a year ago now when I first came across it.

I posted this thread earlier this week and since then I have done a ton of research, trying to find out what Jeep Tire Carrier was used in the photo. After much research I found the Tire Carrier was made by Body Armor, but cost about $1000.00... this doesn't include the bike rack... that was modified by the guy who owns the Jeep in the photo.

So I don't have that kind of cash to drop on a Tire Carrier, so I kept on looking for alternative solutions and found one that will work perfectly & cost considerably less.
    The rack I'm getting is called "The DirtWorx" http://www.thedirtworx.com/Rearbumpers.html
    They also have them listed on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...9709QQtcZphoto

I spent a lot of time discussing my project with Robert of DirtWorx to insure his Rock Crawler Bumper/Tire Carrier was going to work for the modifications I'll be doing to mount my bike rack in between the spare tire and the Jeep's body and he was very helpful in answering all my questions... and believe me I had a ton of questions for him.

One of the things he'll be doing for me is extending the telescopic tire mount on the rack so I can get my bike rack mounted first, then I will be cutting the telescopic tubing to fit as needed. The DirtWorx Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier has a lot of good feedback on ebay and form what I've read about his rack system it sounds like it's stout and will stand the test of time... Trail Worthy!

I hope this helps.
    Scots

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Scots,

Thanks a ton for the follow up. Def something I will consider.

John
    Either you rode today, or you didn't.

Just ride
    at one of the events I went to this season I saw a guy with the bike mounted in the rear of the jeep, just behind the seats. He had the cloth top off, and the bike (front wheel off) in there diagonally. Mounted with one of those roof rack style front fork grabber things.

Seems like a good idea for you since its neither front or back...but inside. If you hurt the bike that way you should consider not driving
    You know what sucks worse than training? Losing.
    You know what sucks worse than losing? Nothing.

Ride on

Masher
    Aug 2007
    Note to self: Since I'm prone to being rear-ended by a vehicle don't put the extra gas can back there.

The Rowdy Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbum
    Note to self: Since I'm prone to being rear-ended by a vehicle don't put the extra gas can back there.
    Yea... It would be just my luck I'd get my new Tire Carrier/Bike Rack hooked up on my Jeep, get hit in the rear and watch my Jeep and Bike burn in the aftermath.

mtbr member
    If your Jeep is lifted, or if you take off your front wheel, this Thule rack might work for you:
    http://www.thuleracks.com/product.as..._id=22&sku=963
    The reason I say lifted or front wheel removed, the bike will sit a bit higher than most vehicles traveling behind you, so even if you're rear-ended you should still be fine, for the most part. Just an idea.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy & Bullit
    Trek 520
    Nishki Colorado
    Black Market Riot
    Vassago Jabberwocky
    Kona Manomano

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    When my wife had a Jeep, we used a Swagman spare tire mount bike rack. Worked well.

Depending on the top tube of your bike you might need an adapter.

We also had rack that attached to the above rack to carry skiis and snowboards if you are into snow sports.

Members who have read this thread: 0