Mods to my truck - New Bike Rack- Mtbr.com
    Rocket Scientist

Mods to my truck - New Bike Rack

I have a 2005 Toyota Tundra and I had a Fiberglass Tonneau cover installed today with Keyless entry off the remote control (Lock/Unlock) of the truck.
    After that I had a new Thule Base Rack and 4 Bike Side arm trays installed for DH & Freeride Bikes. Geez, I about choked when they told me what the final cost was. $1094.00 Installed? I'm still having a hard time choking that one down. Anyone else suprised on what they can charge for these racks?

Pic of Toyota Tundra

I was seriously surprised. I figured about $700.00-$800.00 but almost $1100.00 seems pretty steep.
    I thought I had figured it out on the company website of whom I bought it from, but I didnt figure in all of the "extras" you need. Locks and what not.

Yeah I know

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson6
    I about choked when they told me what the final cost was. $1094.00 Installed? I'm still having a hard time choking that one down. Anyone else suprised on what they can charge for these racks?
    you got

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    1,100.00 for just the rack?

trail waggler

Cool change in pitch on your roof...

I like the blend in the two rooflines!

Nice truck and rack too!

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    wow, that sure seems a lot. did the price include the cover?

I had this made for my Ford Ranger by a custom weld company down in Thornton. It cost me around $300 fully installed.

http://home.comcast.net/~1sean-smith/CB_B000135.JPG
    http://home.comcast.net/~1sean-smith/CB_B000136.JPG
    http://home.comcast.net/~1sean-smith/CB_B000137.JPG
    http://home.comcast.net/~1sean-smith/CB_B000138.JPG
    Last edited by zzsean; 07-31-2006 at 06:17 PM.

Rocket Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeandski
    1,100.00 for just the rack?
    Yeah $1100.00 just for the rack. I so got bent over. I can't even believe it. I was / am fuming over it still. I had my daughter with me who is 4 and I had to keep myself from GOING OFF. It took every bit of patience I had to keep my cool. But I have no one to blame but myself. I should have done things differently.

BBOX, you riding this year? I am finally back somewhat. Not to full speed yet, but well on my way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yeah $1100.00 just for the rack. I so got bent over. I can't even believe it. I was / am fuming over it still. I had my daughter with me who is 4 and I had to keep myself from GOING OFF. It took every bit of patience I had to keep my cool. But I have no one to blame but myself. I should have done things differently.

BBOX, you riding this year? I am finally back somewhat. Not to full speed yet, but well on my way.

Ah, oh well... $hit happens. Been there before!

I've been on and off the bike with injuries this year, I dilocated/fracutred my finger at the Angel Fire race as you know. Then at Crested Butte during my race run I washed out and separated my right shoulder. Luckily for me it was only a minor separation.

Iím riding again but Iím still sore both my finger and my shoulder! Too many injuries for me lately, Iím going to take it EASY the rest of the season and ride just for funÖ get my confidence back and get back in shape this winter and race again next year. Iím bummed about missing all the fun though.

I am happy to say that I'm back on the bike again and I want to stay that way for a while!

Good luck to you!

Team Blindspot

I agree, they seem to charge an aweful lot for the racks.

But OTOH, I'm still using the same Thule load bars and towers I bought for college 25 yrs ago. (Holy Sh!t, has it really been 25 yrs since I went to college!)

Now, if I ever get a car that exceeds the value of my bike, I'll have to update those towers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by S-Works; 07-30-2006 at 06:26 AM.
    Astigmatic Visionary

is busy bein' rad.
    PM sent with question about remote setup for tonneau cover.

hehe ...you said "member"
    Nice looking truck and tonneau/rack combo, but OUCH. Too late for you, but I have a Tundra double cab and have had great luck with my Thule hitch mount - very solid and with a 5 bike capacity to boot. At under $300 (including hitch lock, no sway cages) it's a much more afordable option.

Rocket Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by jake7
    Nice looking truck and tonneau/rack combo, but OUCH. Too late for you, but I have a Tundra double cab and have had great luck with my Thule hitch mount - very solid and with a 5 bike capacity to boot. At under $300 (including hitch lock, no sway cages) it's a much more afordable option.

I have a Hitch rack too, One of the trays broke off and can't be fixed. But When I'm pulling my trailer, the hitch rack is NOT usable. That's why I chose this config. OUCH is right on the price, I made mistakes, but it's done now.

Members who have read this thread: 0