Mnt bike fit inside a 2003 Mazda 6?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Mnt bike fit inside a 2003 Mazda 6?

I own a 4runner and a mazda 6. I am looking to get into mtn biking but I won't always have access to the 4runner (wife). So I was wondering if a 26 or a 29er would fit in a 2003 mazda 6 with the seats folded down.

If not what is a inexpensive but quality bike rack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I guess no one has a Mazda 6.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Maybe it could fit, but it will be a pain. I would just get a nice trunk rack (Saris Bones, etc) for a little over 100 bucks and not have to deal with taking the front wheel off, getting the car dirty, etc.

FWIW - I have a Fusion which is a lengthended Mazda6 chassis and I would not think of putting my bike in the trunk.

Thatís no moon.
    I have a Mazda 3 hatchback and my 29er mtb will fit back there with the wheel removed, but it ain't pretty. Definitely a hassle to get in and out, and I could see you ripping into your headliner eventually.

I would suggest a hitch mount rack:
    http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-R...ma/Y02423.html

You can find these on craigslist for cheap if you don't want to spring for a new one. Heck, I found one for free that a guy had sitting in his backyard and didn't want. I replaced the straps (available directly from Yakima) and gave it a coat of paint for about $40 bucks or so.

You'll also need one of these:
    http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...cleid=20039224

Yes, it's another expense, but this setup is way more solid than a trunk mount rack, and cheaper than a roof rack. Not too hard to install, especially if you have another set of hands to help.

I had this on a Protege, and will do the same with the 3 as soon as I get around to it. In the meantime, I'm using my truck to cart the bikes around...
    2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    2016 Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by heybrady
    Maybe it could fit, but it will be a pain. I would just get a nice trunk rack (Saris Bones, etc) for a little over 100 bucks and not have to deal with taking the front wheel off, getting the car dirty, etc.

FWIW - I have a Fusion which is a lengthended Mazda6 chassis and I would not think of putting my bike in the trunk.

I was thinking that but the Saris website says that it will not fit with a spoiler. Also I probably will get a new vehicle in 2 years so I don't want to put a hitch on the car.

I guess I can just borrow my wifes 4runner and she would have to stay at the house while i am out or teach her to drive manual trans.

Anyone know of a trunk rack that will work on a Mazda 6 with spoiler and a 4runner?

Members who have read this thread: 1