minimum size of rental car to fit bike with front wheel removed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

minimum size of rental car to fit bike with front wheel removed?

I will be renting a car and also a full suspension trail bike (size 15.5). Rental car companies often do not promise you a specific car, but will say something like "Toyota Corolla or similar car." Can I fit a bike (with front wheel removed) in a Toyota Corolla or similar car? If not, what is the minimum size I need?

Thanks!
    Mark

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Compact Cars and Bike Travel

You can fit a bike in a Rabbit/Golf easily. I used to have one and often had it in the back with one wheel off, seats folded.

If you are in Europe an Opel Astra, Golf etc are fine, in the USA Corolla sized car is fine, just make sure it is a proper hatch and not a sedan/saloon car.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gribble View Post
    If you are in Europe an Opel Astra, Golf etc are fine, in the USA Corolla sized car is fine, just make sure it is a proper hatch and not a sedan/saloon car.
    I will be in the US. They probably will not be offering a hatch but a regular sedan. However, the rear seats do fold down, so you can put something in the trunk and extend it over the seats. Will a Toyota Corolla work?

(Note also that there will be no one else in the car.)

Mark

mtbr member
    I drive what is considered a four door compact. I can fit one bike with front wheel off in the back seat. I just have to angle it correctly and pull the passenger seat all the way forward When I drive what is considered a 'full size' sedan, I dont need to pull the passenger seat forward, though it does make the fit easier.

mtbr member
    Yeah, you probably could fit a bike that small in the trunk of a corolla with the wheels off and maybe the saddle either lowered or post out, with the seats down. I've found the issue is usually not the space in the trunk/back seat, but the size of the trunk opening. But, I ride a 21" bike too...

It's been my experience that what car you get is totally a crapshoot even with a reservation, you usually end up with whatever they have, not necessarily what you asked for. Also, it depends on the rental car company, but often SUVs are about the same price as... whatever category a corolla is, and as someone else said, almost any size hatchback can fit a bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    If you rent with Avis, a compact would be a Ford Focus. They're all 4 door hatchbacks, so putting your bike in the back shouldn't be a problem. Check what Hertz, National or whatever rental agency you may be considering offer in that size class.

Members who have read this thread: 0