Mini Cooper- Mtbr.com

Thread: Mini Cooper

mtbr member

Mini Cooper

Hi all,

Can a Mini carry 1 bike, either road or Mtb, inside without removing both wheels?

I'm looking for a new car with two requirements.
    1. Mid 30s MPG or better preferred.
    2. Be able to keep a bike locked up inside during the day while at work.

30 mile commute each way and the vehicle will be inside the patrolled fenced parking area with a guard at the gate but I still don't want to leave a bike on a rack all day. No option of bringing it inside either. So I need to be able to stick it inside fairly easily.

thanks,
    Flyn G

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FlynG
    Hi all,

Can a Mini carry 1 bike, either road or Mtb, inside without removing both wheels?

I'm looking for a new car with two requirements.
    1. Mid 30s MPG or better preferred.
    2. Be able to keep a bike locked up inside during the day while at work.

30 mile commute each way and the vehicle will be inside the patrolled fenced parking area with a guard at the gate but I still don't want to leave a bike on a rack all day. No option of bringing it inside either. So I need to be able to stick it inside fairly easily.

thanks,
    Flyn G
    I don't think it's possible without removing both wheels. I've never tried any big items to my wife's mini yet though (my wife would not let me put a dirty bike on her mini ). I did put a bike to wife's beetle without a front wheel right before she traded in her beetle.

mtbr member

No

Not unless its a BMX. What's the problem with taking the wheels off? Do that, put the back seat down and everything should fit fine.

Have you considered the Mini Clubman? Its a little longer and may give you the added room you want.

Oh, as a Mini owner and lover, you don't need the "S" to have fun. Get the Cooper with the 6-speed and enjoy 40+ mpg highway. We usually average 42 mpg highway, 36 -37 mpg city/highway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    No way! You can fit two bikes if you remove BOTH wheels and in the case of larger frames remove the seatpost as well. I lay them on top of each other using a blanket for cushion.

Best setup though is a trailer hitch carrier. The whole setup is a breeze to load, no wind noise or MPG hit. You'll only carry the bikes inside the car once.

I'd stay away from roof mounted carriers with all that glass sunroof. Don't ask my friend how he knows about slipping bikes and safety glass!

mtbr member
    i was going to go check, but our mini is a old english 70s model.

mtbr member

Wow

Can you even fit the wheels in one of those?

Apr 2008
    you can fit a smaller (<29) mtn bike in a MINI with both back seats down and the front pass all the way up, but it scratches the crap out of your interior. Not to mention what it does to leather seats!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    buy a honda fit(5spd manual), can fit 1-3 bikes fairly easily with front wheels off. I got my bike in no problem and can still seat 3.

check this thread http://www.dorba.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=38127 someone has a fancy plywood cutout with fork mounts and such to cram 3 bikes in a Fit.. I just used a 2x4 with a fork mount for one bike so far.

Members who have read this thread: 0