Mid-range rack for long bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Mid-range rack for long bikes

I have a long-serving Swagman XTC rack that I would like to upgradein order to gain 1. The ability to fold it against the car 2. The ability to carry three bikes (or expand to that later).

I'm having a bit of trouble though as many mid-range racks aren't compatible with wheelbases over 48 in. I'm a tall guy and generally ride and XL frame, so while my current bike comes in just under the limit, I suspect that given current trends my next bike will not.

I found a previous thread asking a similar question and everyone recommended 1Up. That's certainly a nice rack, but it's approaching $800 with the third bike attachment. I was hoping to keep things under $500. Before realizing that they had 48 and 49 in limits, I was considering RockyMounts Westslope 3 and Monorail 2 (plus an attachment).

So, anyone know of a good midlevel rack that fits these criteria?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I recently had my XL sentinel on my friends kuat transfer. not adjustable so bikes can interfere but reasonably priced and bikes don't get much longer than mine. I have a yakima holdup which technically maxes out shorter than my wheelbase but seems to work fine as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Interesting, thanks. Maybe the Transfer is the way to go.

I was actually considering it before thinking that Rocky Mounts' offerings looked a bit better in price/performance. I contacted RM and they of course were unwilling to say anything definitive without testing, but said that it was a bit by the bike in how things fit, though I'm not sure why that would be.

Edit: Interestingly, supposedly the Transfer fits bikes only up to a 47 in wheelbase. Three inches shorter than yours. Goes to show I guess.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    I'm also interested in just how far a Transfer can stretch.

A Sentinel in XL has a wheelbase of 50".

I'm also not wild about reports of its being fairly wobbly. Combine a wobbly rack with a long bike and it sounds like bad news.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

OFS old, fat, slow
    Dec 2004
    I ran into the same issue when looking at racks. I found a nice used Swagman Semi with the 2 bike extension. It's not as nice as the newer Thules, but it was more reasonable and holds the bikes securely.

My son rides an XXL Trek Remedy and he recently bought a used Rocky Mounts Monorail. He says it holds his bike just fine despite the specifications.

AM.

mtbr member
    I have a medium orbea occam am (the 27.5 one) and it fits well on my kuat transfer. My medium road bike fits well on it too... it never struck me as being an exceptionally large rack. Kuat says 47" max, and I don't think id be pushing it.

There's also a lot of plastic on the transfer. The way the arm secures to the rack is kind of janky. If you want it to move smoothly, you need to leave the nut loose, which is unnerving to say the least. It really has to be kept tight, which makes the arm bind and creak in use.

For the price, I cant complain about my transfer too much. It was under $200 for the transfer 1, and about another $100 for the addon... so its really pretty far down the scale in price. The 3 is ~$350. I think if you bought it expecting to push its limits, you'd be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    http://raxterracks.com/index.cfm?id=3&prodID=7

I know this is more than your want to spend, but it will fit the longest wheel base of any rack I have seen, according to the website it will fit a 69inch wheelbase.

Probably not for you due to price, but interesting to see options.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk