Mazda 3 Wagon - Thoughts, hitch?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Mazda 3 Wagon - Thoughts, hitch?

I'm interested in 2006 Mazda 3 wagon auto (aka 5 door). I stopped by today and checked one out at the dealership. I have a few questions...

1) What kind of mileage are you guys experiencing (w/ or w/o roof rack, type of driving, model year (b/c of engine differences), tranny, etc)

2) Can I get a hitch to fit on the car b/c the bumper sits pretty low?

3) Should I get the car?

I know a roof rack will always work, but I have a Thule T2 1 1/4" hitch that I have on my SUV, and plan on selling the SUV to get this hopefully fuel efficient AND bike friendly car. I'm also open to other suggestions for vehicles. Price range is sub 20.

Thanks.

mtbr member

Re: Mazda 3 Wagon

I have an 05 3 Wagon, purchased Jan. 05, have about 21,000 miles, auto tranny. These are my thoughts.

I do not use a hitch or roof rack, I can fit 2 bikes inside by taking off the front wheels, even my 29er and road bike fit. If more bikes are needed it will acept a 1 and 1/4 hitch.

Re: gas milage, not nearly as good as my previous Civics, expect low to mid 20's city w/ auto tranny. I live in suburban Chicago and most of my driving is stop & go rush hour type stuff. On the Highway 30 is possible if you dont go 80+.

My general thoughts onthis car are good, I would say a little lower quaility overall than my previous Honda's. No major compaints but a few minor ones: Interior quality is low, plastic scratches easy & carpet is all balling up and feels of low quaility, Oil filter is a cartridge filter that you will find is a pain to replace, DO NOT GO TO A QUICK LUBE, YOU WILL BE SORRY, so must DIY or go to dealer. As mentioned gas milage could be better however car does have decent power so I guess thats the trade off. Wheels at least on the 05 stick out farther than the side wall of the tire making it very easy to scratch rim on curbs and stuff. Speaking of tires, the stock Geadyear Eagles are $190.00, that was an expensive flat. Also tires suck in snow, I'm puting on some Nokia's before next winter.

Am I happy with this car overall? Yes, Would I buy again? No Do wish Honda made a Civic Wagon? Yes

One sugestion, check out Subuaru, but you wont get a WRX for under 20K

mtbr member

Nice car, bad safety rating.

That is enough to keep me from buying one. Too many much safer cars available.

Cookin' in AZ

Look at the Toyota Matrix

It is a similar car with better gas milage and safety rating. Also lower list price and Toyota has higer re-sale value

http://www.toyota.com/matrix/index.html
    This space intentionally left blank

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I thought safety issues were resolved with the side impact airbags? I'd be getting the model with that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallsilver1
    I have an 05 3 Wagon, purchased Jan. 05, have about 21,000 miles, auto tranny. These are my thoughts.

I do not use a hitch or roof rack, I can fit 2 bikes inside by taking off the front wheels, even my 29er and road bike fit. If more bikes are needed it will acept a 1 and 1/4 hitch.

Re: gas milage, not nearly as good as my previous Civics, expect low to mid 20's city w/ auto tranny. I live in suburban Chicago and most of my driving is stop & go rush hour type stuff. On the Highway 30 is possible if you dont go 80+.

My general thoughts onthis car are good, I would say a little lower quaility overall than my previous Honda's. No major compaints but a few minor ones: Interior quality is low, plastic scratches easy & carpet is all balling up and feels of low quaility, Oil filter is a cartridge filter that you will find is a pain to replace, DO NOT GO TO A QUICK LUBE, YOU WILL BE SORRY, so must DIY or go to dealer. As mentioned gas milage could be better however car does have decent power so I guess thats the trade off. Wheels at least on the 05 stick out farther than the side wall of the tire making it very easy to scratch rim on curbs and stuff. Speaking of tires, the stock Geadyear Eagles are $190.00, that was an expensive flat. Also tires suck in snow, I'm puting on some Nokia's before next winter.

Am I happy with this car overall? Yes, Would I buy again? No Do wish Honda made a Civic Wagon? Yes

One sugestion, check out Subuaru, but you wont get a WRX for under 20K
    Subaru Impreza wagon (non-WRX) IS in that price range, and they seem excellent (my brother and father each have one). The Impreza has more power/torque than the Mazda3, happens to have AWD, they handle great, and AFAIK their safety rating is very high. Worth a look before you sign the check for the Mazda.

Members who have read this thread: 0