Mazda 3 bike rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Mazda 3 bike rack

Anyone out there drive a mazda 3 hatchback? If so what are you guys using for a bike rack? Only need to carry 2 bikes. I am pretty sure the bikes will be mullets. Thanks for the help guys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    did some searching on http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ and it looks like any of the universal roof racks will work (yakima, thule, etc...) or you can have a trailer hitch put on and use a hitch rack.

Let's get weird
    I owned a 2007 Mazda3 for about 4 months before I decided I wanted my old truck back. I never put a rack on, but searched a lot for an option.
    I read that under the rubber stripping along the roof rails, are threaded holes that will accept bolt-on after market roof racks like Westin. I also vaguely remember reading that the factory Protege5 rack will fit on the 3. This option will not leave marks on the paint like the tower-style racks.
    I was leaning towards the receiver hitch style rack. The hitch can be had for around $150.00 shipped and you can pick up a new rack for around the same. Installation is simple using factory bolt holes, I think you may have to trim a rear valence that is under the car.
    Search on www.msprotege.com under the mazda3/axella forum and you'll find some detailed threads regarding racks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Ah Cool thank you guys very much, kinda a pain putting it in the back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've got a Mazda5 which is based on the Mazda 3 chassis, and I went with a hitch mount rack. I got a 3 bike swagman and U-haul hitch that I installed myself. the Hitch is actually made by Curtis. If you'v seen the U-hual Guys install a hitch.....Do it yourself, they're kinda sloppy and scary the way they work.

Anyway between the Hitch and Rack. My total cost was less thant $300 The Mazda (thule) rack alone is $400 and you still need to get the bike carrier parts!!

Only thing is if you put 3 bikes on the rack (or 2 really heavy ones) you want to add a couple of stabilizer straps as the rack o a 1.25 mount moves around a bit more than I like

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Mazda 3 with sunroof

My wife's car is a Mazda 3 hatchback, and I would like to put a roof rack on but it has a sunroof. I would like to use a Thule rack because I already have a couple Thule trays I could move over from my car. Has anyone put a roof rack on this car with a sunroof? Can I still use the sunroof?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    www.mazda3forums.com

Lots of good info on bike rack options on this site too^

I have an 06 Mazda3 hatch and and got a hitch and hitch rack. So far so good. I got the hitch because I didn't want any part of the rack touching my car's paint. I got the thule roadway model that carries 4 bikes. It works best for 2 bikes but you can fit 4 if you really need to.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

re:hitch rack

I was actually thinking of putting a hitch on it as well, but the car is so low to the ground already I didn't know if that was possible? What size receiver did you use? If I could use a 2" receiver I could use the same hitch rack from my xterra because I want to get the Thule T2.

mtbr member
    i had a Mazda3 hatch for about 5 months before deciding i wanted my truck back.

went with a Yakima roof rack. avoided the hitch because the car was low, and my apartment had a damn steep entrance to the garage.

the Yak roof rack fit fine with the sunroof i had on my hatch.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Can you get a bike in the hatch?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by golfnbike13
    I was actually thinking of putting a hitch on it as well, but the car is so low to the ground already I didn't know if that was possible? What size receiver did you use? If I could use a 2" receiver I could use the same hitch rack from my xterra because I want to get the Thule T2.
    Even if you don't get a 2", there are adaptors that would still allow you to use that 2" rack.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Get the right size.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Even if you don't get a 2", there are adaptors that would still allow you to use that 2" rack.
    You will regret this. I had a 1-1/4" to 2" adapter for a 2" hitch rack and it stuck out too far and too low. The rack hit the ground all the time even with mild inclines. I now have a 4 bike 1-1/4" Yak hitch rack and no scraping.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

mazda 3 hatch

I'd prefer not to put my muddy mountain bike inside the car. I was thinking of just putting a hitch on it and getting a hitch rack to use on both cars, but the Mazda 3 can only accommodate a 1.25" hitch and I have a 2" on my Xterra, surely I can get some type of converter? But I'm afraid it will be to low to the ground. Did yours drag the ground a lot?

mtbr member
    I'm selling my q-towers,44" fairing, 48"bars, sprocket rocket with locks. Used 10 times. PM me if your interested.

Members who have read this thread: 0