Mazda 3 - 1.25 to 2 conversion anyone doing it?- Mtbr.com
    l i v i n'

Mazda 3 - 1.25 to 2 conversion anyone doing it?

So after a hard fought battle I have made the decision to sell my crew cab pick up truck (which i love) to get a wagon and lower my carbon foot print. My wife and I have a crew cab truck and a new pathfinder for two people and no kids. So the excessiveness finally caught up to me... I have a few questions if some of you have any experience I truly value word of mouth to internet reviews and pushy sales staff.

1. I am looking at an 06 Mazda 3 S Wagon....anyone love it? or hate it? and why?

2. I am currently running a 2 inch Thule T2 Hitch rack and would like to convert it to the Mazda. Anyone found a 2 inch hitch for the mazda?

3. If not I know I can get a 1.25 hitch...and Uhaul makes a 6 inch converter. Has anyone used this or does it put to much torque on the rack. The rack comes in at about 50 lbs. My 575 is 25lbs. and my wife's is 26. So call it up to 130 if I ever get DH bikes. So back to the question anyone using a 1.25 to 2 inch conversion?

Thanks for all your help!
    l i v i n'

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have an 06 Mazda wagon. Not sure if it's the S version or what the S version is really. I think they call came S'd out, I don't know. Anyways I have a standard 06 wagon and love it. IMO; it looks cool, drives nicely, quick enough for me, incredibly spacious inside and I can fit my bike inside with the front wheel still attached. I have not had any problems with the car thus far but honestly I'd be PO'd if I did (13,000 miles on the odo). I'm always amazed at how much stuff I can fit in the back of my car. I have a hitch rack but am not using the T2 or a converter, sorry I'm of now help.

Overall I love my car and the only thing that would make me love it more is better mpg. I get about 28mpg with fairly conservative mixed (city/highway) driving. Not horrible but I'd love to get mid 30's. If I were to do it over I'd seriously consider the Honda Fit.

Good luck with your search and let me know if you have any specific questions.

Jan 2004
    i got an '06 3 hatch after trading in a 99 Tacoma. Monday I went back to a Tacoma (2008 Double Cab Prerunner). Couldn't get used to having a car. It was fun to drive, and all that jazz. it didn't have a bed, though, and I couldn't get passed that. just the general ability to haul things...couldn't do that in a 3.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I don't have a Mazda 3 or a Thule T2 but might be able to offer some advice. I use a Swagman XC4 for my Honda Element but wanted to start using it on my girlfriends Civic (25mpg vs 40+mpg). The 1.25" to 2" adapters all seem to add 6" to the length of the rack so I was concerned with ground clearance. The Swagman came with extra 2" tubes to convert to a 2 bike rack so I had one modified to fit a 1.25" receiver. Basically all they did was add a 1.25" bar to the inside of the 2" tube. To help with ground clearance they cut, bent, and welded a rise to it. It works great now. Of course it helps to work for a school system, know the welding instructor, and get free child labor and materials.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Just get a regular hitch and then weld on the 2" piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mar 2008
    hey just a note. be wary of the tounge weight, If your doing Down hill bikes more than one, and your gunna be pushing the tounge weight, (amount of downforce on the reciever hitch part) i'd tell you to go with a thule, roof rack or a yakima. just E BAY your hitch rack, or sel it on here...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i picked up an 08 3 a month or two ago. so far no problems that have been the fault of the car (it does keep trying to make me mad though: 1 set of lost keys, 1 flat that needed to be replaced, and $5,000 in damage when the car next to me in the parking garage caught on fire and mine got a little melted). all hatches are S, the i can only be had in the sedan. not sure how the above poster gets his bike in with the front wheel still on, i definitely have to remove mine. that is my preferred method of transport though, inside the car. you can probably find more specific info here http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ ; of note both the 3 and the MS3 are virtually identical in respect to their bodies so when searching for hitch information be sure to include both sections

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    There are no 2" hitches for the Mazda3/Mazdaspeed3; only 1.25 is available.
    They do sell adapters for converting the 1.25 to a 2"...that would be your only option.

The hitch for the Mazda3/Mazdaspeed3 is not very sturdy in terms that its bolted to the bumper support which is made out of aluminum. I'm a little uneasy when I transport my bikes, though it seems to be holding up well. I prefer if the hitch was mounted to the vehicle's frame instead, like my previous car.

I love my Mazdaspeed 3, though it has very little resemblence to the Mazda3... But both are great cars!!!

Let's get weird
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    i got an '06 3 hatch after trading in a 99 Tacoma. Monday I went back to a Tacoma (2008 Double Cab Prerunner). Couldn't get used to having a car. It was fun to drive, and all that jazz. it didn't have a bed, though, and I couldn't get passed that. just the general ability to haul things...couldn't do that in a 3.
    I hear you...
    Sold my '94 hilux this time last year to buy an '07 Mazda3S. I still regret selling that truck, but made things right again with an '86 4runner within one month of purchasing the Mazda.
    Sold the Mazda with 6,000 miles on the odometer and been driving the 4runner everyday since last July.
    I'm glad that the 3 holds it's value so well, I didn't lose too much in the end...just some sleep and comfort over why I bought it in the first place.

The 3 was a really fun car, but couldn't bring myself to get it dirty and didn't realize how much I loved my truck until it was gone. Plus it's been fun rebuilding my daily driver as time allows.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have an 06 Mazda3 Sedan; I use the Tule Fixpoint rack (Screws into the mounting points under the black plastic gutter strips). I love it. It's secure enough to leave on year round, and it doesn't damage my paint and weather strips with straps.

Unfortunately, they don't sell it in the US! I ordered mine from england.... see this thread for some detail, and more pictures.
    https://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=55299.0

Here's a picture of the setup when I was too lazy too take it off during an autocross event :-D

BTW the 3 is a fun little thing to throw around an autocross course, if you get the chance.

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    Oh hell yeah!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Very nice! I love the front bumper on the MS3...

I see we MTBR members have good taste in color.

Another thought on racks; I like roof mount for long trips (I have good piece of mind that it's not going anywhere) but hitch mounts are def more economical, especially if you need to carry multiple bikes. Not to mention convenience of having the bikes fully assembled and at chest height.

Don't discount throwing a bike in the back either; when I need to carry two bikes I put one of the roof and one in the trunk with the seat folded down. I'm sure you could get at least 2 in the Hatch this way (both front wheels removed). So depending on your needs you may not even require a rack.

May 2008
    I have a '07 MS3 and I keep two bikes in the hatch. I've been looking to get a hitch rack, but they're pretty expensive and since I ride after work I don't want the bikes outside in the parking lot all day. The hitch mount just looks so darn easy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    why not get a trunk/ hatch rack? i use my yakima on my taurus wagon with not problems. the bike are mounted up higher, so i don't have ground clearance issues (compared to hitch racks) when i have 3 bikes+ people+ gear.

thule- 962XT Speedway
    yakima- kingjoe3

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I had one of those... it was never as secure as I would have liked. Especially for long trips (5 hrs on the interstate a few times a year).

May 2008
    I have a friend whose hatch was scratched up by a hatch rack and he'd punch me if I got one for my 3.

Members who have read this thread: 1