Low profile hitch rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Low profile hitch rack

I need a 2" hitch rack that folds up and does not extend the overall length of my SUV by much (preferabbly 6 inches extension when folded up). I only need to hold 2 bikes (DH).

What do you guys recommend?

mtbr member

code: mtbr2011
    yakima holdup is a pretty tidy package and it's still about 16" from the center of the hitch bolt which may be a few inches from the end of the bumper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    16 inches off the back is a lot. a friend told me the yakima hitchfork folds up to only an extra 6 or 7 inches.

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dasnakenyc View Post
    16 inches off the back is a lot. a friend told me the yakima hitchfork folds up to only an extra 6 or 7 inches.
    that measurement is from the center of the hitch bolt...which is likely X inches set back from the end of the bumper. it's shorter than the T2, and Kuat NV. every car is different...but that measurement - 16" is universal for any car.

the yakima hitchfork is an old discontinued rack system, that i haven't seen in several years.
    if i remember correctly, it was essentially 2 crossbars that you can attach fork mount or even upright roof bike trays.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    i live in nyc and every inch counts. is there anything like the yakima hitchfork available? my buddies setup required one bike to remove the front wheel. the other bike would strap into a tray.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nothing is going to fold better than the 1up. There may be other variables that might make other racks a better option for you, but compact is unlikely one of them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    Nothing is going to fold better than the 1up. There may be other variables that might make other racks a better option for you, but compact is unlikely one of them.
    i need the 2 bike rack and the issue with that is it sticks out 16 inches when folded up.

if anyone knows of a yakima hitchfork for sale, let me know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    When folded, I am fairly certain that a 2 bike 1up will not be 16" at its furthest point from the bumper. Part of the limitation is based upon the hitch opening itself. If it is fairly close to the vertical face of the rear bumper, you can get the 1up to fold vertically (this is the situation in my car).

The 16" dimension is for the Yakima Holdup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I had the same concern and called 1up. They said that folded, it is abpout 6 to 8 inches sticking out from the back. But it is so easy to get on and off that you can just remove the who,e thing if you want your 8 inches back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moldau94 View Post
    I had the same concern and called 1up. They said that folded, it is abpout 6 to 8 inches sticking out from the back. But it is so easy to get on and off that you can just remove the who,e thing if you want your 8 inches back.
    I've got a Kuat Sherpa on the back of a TDI Golf and it's pretty easy and quick to take on and off. Perhaps 2 minutes as opposed to 4 min compared to a Yakima Holdup. The Kuat you can hand tighten but it helps to have an allen handy to really tighten up the shim block in the hitch. The Yak requires a wrench for the hreaded hitch pin and is much heavier.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I use the Softride Versa on my Tacoma pickup (search Amazon for "Softride Versa" to see it)

Since I only carry one bike I cut the second rack off which allows me to open the tailgate with the hitch folded up. When folded it extends less than a foot beyond the bumper.

The only downside is that it is not rated for offroad driving when loaded.