Looks like someone copied 1UP- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Looks like someone copied 1UP

Surfing the bay and found this. Looks like the exact same idea. lol thought Id post it as it may a cheap alternative for some of you.
    Single Bike, 1 1/4" Hitch Rack | eBay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Breitness24 View Post
    Surfing the bay and found this. Looks like the exact same idea. lol thought Id post it as it may a cheap alternative for some of you.
    Single Bike, 1 1/4" Hitch Rack | eBay
    That's the Jeep Overland II rack. I'm not sure about the quality though. He has a listing for the two rack also and a few people have bought it. I bet it doesn't have anything like the quick connect on the 1up.
    2011 Rockhopper Comp 29er
    2011 Myka HT Disc (wife)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Anyone have any experience with this rack? Ifcomparable to sub $200 racks I would be tempted to get one. I realize it wouldn't be 1UP quality.

Two Tired

Are you feeling lucky?

I would not count on long term support or spare parts which may be an issue if the quality is not up to snuff. With no reviews, it has to be suspect. This seems to be an obvious infringement of the 1UpUSA patent, so I would expect the manufacturer and seller to disappear fairly quickly. They have probably built their racks with this in mind (cheapest materials). The patent seems to be valid for several more years.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, patent expert or affiliated with 1UpUSA, but I own one of their racks and really like it.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

ride more
    Mar 2007
    It does look pretty similar...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m View Post
    It does look pretty similar...
    Looks similar but it is completely different on how it functions.

mtbr member
    Remember that you get what you pay for .....Love my 1Up rack!!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

Two Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Looks similar but it is completely different on how it functions.
    It doesn't look that different - wheels sit in a tray and two U-shaped arms hold the tires. Take a look at the patent.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapWhine View Post
    It doesn't look that different - wheels sit in a tray and two U-shaped arms hold the tires. Take a look at the patent.
    Yeah it's as simple as you said it....broadly how it holds the bike. Too lazy to search for the patent, but based on the picture, sure it should carry a bike perfectly fine, but other than the platform, it's nothing like the 1UP.

Why cheap out when you can pay an extra $140 for reassurance. A USA based company (manufactured in the USA) that fully supports their products. Lifetime warranty with free shipping both ways. Not to mention the ability to add an additional platform.

Member of The Yeti Tribe
    I am interested in this.. I already have 3 trays on the top of my 01 Forester and I have been thinking about selling my T2 + 2 add on to buy a 1Up, But I am thinking that I may just keep my T2 and let my dad have it to use on his Expedition and I will get this to put on the back of my Forester..

I really wanted the 1Up but I can't justify $500 for a 2 bike setup just to bump my capacity to 5.. I only needed a hitch once every few months for low cost shuttling and the once a year road trip..

And for $165 I can settle for it not being as polished as the 1UP.. If I used it everyday like I use my Roof racks i would get the 1up.. but I dont need the hitch that often so I cant justify spending $500 on the 1Up

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    As someone else said: "you get what you paid for"...good luck.

If yur looking for a cheaper hitch rack, my advise is check out a saris Thelma.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Sorry to bring an old thread back to life... I bought one of these racks on CL this weekend, I thought it was one of the 1up USA 2 bike racks but the pic was terrible and upside down. The 1up logo is on the caps of both trays of this one, but there seemed to be a few missing parts. After mounting and fiddling with it for a few, it became obvious only one side of each tray is adjustable. It was 99% complete, only missing two small pivot screws. After searching the web for images of a similar 1up rack I found the Jeep Overland II bike rack to be identacle to mine. I can only assume the had 1up build a down spec, cheaper rack and slapped the jeep name on it. Just FYI.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEJCE View Post
    Sorry to bring an old thread back to life... I bought one of these racks on CL this weekend, I thought it was one of the 1up USA 2 bike racks but the pic was terrible and upside down. The 1up logo is on the caps of both trays of this one, but there seemed to be a few missing parts. After mounting and fiddling with it for a few, it became obvious only one side of each tray is adjustable. It was 99% complete, only missing two small pivot screws. After searching the web for images of a similar 1up rack I found the Jeep Overland II bike rack to be identacle to mine. I can only assume the had 1up build a down spec, cheaper rack and slapped the jeep name on it. Just FYI.
    How is the hitch part of the rack. Online picks look a bit different from the 1up

mtbr member
    Looks like someone copied 1UP-img_20140107_125415_688.jpgLooks like someone copied 1UP-img_20140106_162436_897.jpg

I took these the other day. I also spoke (email) with 1up regarding this rack. They couldn't help me with the parts I need, but did confirm that the rack was made under license by 1up. I'll post a pic of the hitch connection as it is much different than the current 1up design.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looks like someone copied 1UP-img_20140106_162408_825.jpg  

mtbr member
    Don't judge my zip ties! Soon to be replaced by a turnbuckle or... Anyways, the lever, when moved clockwise moves a cam, visible on the left of the hitch, and a locking pin on the right locking the rack to the hitch firmly w/o slop. If I had to complain, I wish there was a little more distance between the trays, and that both sides had the slide locks like the "real" 1up design. Happy to answer any other questions.

Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looks like someone copied 1UP-img_20140107_131845_329.jpg  

Looks like someone copied 1UP-img_20140107_131831_254.jpg  

Looks like someone copied 1UP-img_20140107_131759_924.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Looks pretty stout. Thanks for the picks. Looks like it folds up pretty flat against the back of the car.

mtbr member
    For $60 it'll do just fine! Though in retrospect, I thought it was a $500 rack... I think the ones on eBay are worth a second look.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    CycleJce Can you get a 29inch wheel on there??

mtbr member
    That's all I've put on it, my Salsa & the wife's Access XCL from Austin to Houston (200ish miles), then a solo Orbea outing yesterday! I think the newer design has taller arms with a curve at the bottom to help deal with 29" wheels, though I've had no issues. Surely this one was designed with 700c in mind...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Are the three bikes you put in it 29ers or 26. Thanks for all the info

mtbr member
    Sorry, all 29er's one with old 2.55 weirwolf tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks again Cyclejce. I tracked down a new one for 210. Figure it's a better deal than 610 for the 1up assuming it works well. We will see. And 2.5 werewolfs are way bigger than the igniters I run so I should be good.

ballbuster
    Geez... for $210 I could just about get one of these instead of the add-on second try for my existing 1Up. Plus, the new 1Up racks are no longer anodized, so the second add-on tray won't match my existing tray.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yea but there is no way to bolt this one to a newer 1up rack tho.This rack is 1ups. version-1.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just got one of the Jeep Racks in the mail yesterday. Seems very well built, came assembled. Pretty sturdy when mounted on the truck but does wobble slightly, much better than any other hitch mount rack I have used though. Rack takes all of 10 seconds to put on car and bikes take about 10 seconds to get on the rack. I would be willing to bet it would be under a minute to place the rack, 2 bikes and have them locked and ready to go. I don't think that this rack was designed around 29 inch bikes. no matter how tight you make the arms you can still lift the bike up and out without loosening the rack. I think a couple of extensions on the arms will be needed and should only take a couple of minutes to make. For $210 bucks I think it was a steal if you only want to carry 2 bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    No kidding? I wonder if ours are different? I've transported my 29er several times, two up with the wife's 29er once, and had my 700c cross bike on it. No issues yet. Mind taking a pic or two?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No kidding? I wonder if ours are different? I've transported my 29er several times, two up with the wife's 29er once, and had my 700c cross bike on it. No issues yet. Mind taking a pic or two?
    You can see pretty easily on the last pic how far the arm goes up on the front tire. If the arms were about 4 inches longer I think it would hold a little more securely. I might also try to just adjust the stops in the fixed side so it will open just a little more and see if that will allow the adjustable side to close a little more over the tire. I don't think there would be any problems but I really don't feel like having a bike bounce off. Also where you had your zip tie there isn't anything missing. Meant to have a lock through the eyebolt and the slot in the qr handle. The manual also states that the rack can hold up to 5 bikes and talks about the add ons so there must be some hanging around somewhere.

mtbr member
    Just saw your pics... Wheelbase has to effect where the bar contacts the wheel too. I'll snap a pic of mine. I usually give the adjustable bar a little push, enough to dimple the tire slightly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    2 quick minutes with a drill and tap and the bike fits perfect. Just ordered another one while I can find them. About 20 bucks in materials and it should be easy to turn it into a 4 bike carrier. Should be relatively easy to mount the tandem as well. Cant beat 500 bucks to carry 4 bikes (including a tandem) on a stout rack.

mtbr member
    Wow! You work quick! Took me a few weeks to get the hitch pin adjusted properly... Please post a pic of your custom rack!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Well I finally got around to taking some pics of the rack. 1 hitch pin will allow you to slide the 2 bike extension off in about 10 sec. Haven't gotten around to figuring out how to mount the tandem yet though.

Last edited by AKamp; 05-08-2014 at 10:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The orange handle is what releases the extension.

mtbr member
    Super cool! Please PM me and let me know where you got the extintion.

Thanks

FM
    mtbr member
    I'd appreciate info as well...

AKamp, would this rack work with 2+ 29'ers that have super wide (like 760mm) handlebars? The trays look awfully close together, but perhaps theres some sort of offset.

Also, what's the horizontal distance from the center of the inboard bike tray to the hitch receiver? (looking to confirm wide handlebars wouldn't hit the rear window of my SUV).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I don't think there would be any issues but I am out of town for the week and can't get any measurements tight now. I have had 2 29ers on without issue. Just like on the current OneUps each rack is offset (adjustable for how much) and raised 3-4 inches. I run into a couple of issues with my sons road bike because it is so small but it still works better than any other rack I have used. Now unlike the current OneUps only one arm is adjustable which is why it is slightly more difficult to fit the bikes on but if it is always the same bikes you can adjust the offset of each try.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just got my "Jeep Overland II Bike rack", aka OneUp 1st generation. Mounted it up pretty quickly. Like AKamp, it won't hold my 29ers securely; I tightened it up pretty aggressively, but could still lift the end out that was at the adjustable end. I plan to make a couple inch extension on the adjustable arm, which should easily fix that problem. I am also tempted to make both arms adjustable; it should be $5-$10 of materials and an hour's work to do so. Overall, I am pleased for $235 shipped.

Pics, just because. You can see in the last one how my front wheel is not entirely secured.
    Looks like someone copied 1UP-cam00142.jpg

Looks like someone copied 1UP-cam00143.jpg

Looks like someone copied 1UP-cam00147.jpg

Your Best Friend
    Scary, I wouldn't go anywhere with my bike on that.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Right, that was just a test last night, since there have been mixed experiences on 29ers and this rack. It seems my Fargo has a sufficiently long wheelbase that the rack needs some help before it goes on a trip or I could toe-strap it on at the tray for the time being, until I make the extensions. Since I have a roof tray and rack, I am not going to haul the Fargo on the 1-up until the rack gets some TLC.

All my other bikes were fine, though (I couldn't get them to pop off, even when I yanked up on the handlebars). Basically, the rack was not built with 29ers in mind, but that is easily and cheaply (especially compared to the price of a current gen 1-up) remedied.

mtbr member
    Looks like someone copied 1UP-1up-mod.jpg

I just drilled a few new mount points in the non adjustable side allowing my 29+ rig to fit. I haven't tried running two bikes on it since this modification, though I think it would work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1up mod.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	893253

I just drilled a few new mount points in the non adjustable side allowing my 29+ rig to fit. I haven't tried running two bikes on it since this modification, though I think it would work.
    I did the same thing to my rack and it works great as long as you are always mounting the same bikes in the same position. I was thinking that it wouldn't be too difficult to mount some hooks in the top of the tray and then have them used as stops instead of the side allens working as stops. I figure with 3 or 4 different stops it should be pretty easy to fit most bikes on it. Your mod works great though and like I said before, as long as you are always mounting the bikes in the same order you will be fine. It would be great to track down some more of the red handled adjustable stops but Cyclejce mentioned that 1Up wasn't too helpful and I haven't had any luck finding anything on the internet that even vaguely resembles them. I did take the handles off of the extension rack that I made and having two adjustable sides really was nice in getting things to fit.

mtbr member
    Gratuitous shot of my 29+ baby on the slightly modded Jeep/1up rack. I think low tire pressure helps secure the bike in the rack. On my regular 29er I reduce the tire pressure to 5psi or so, this keeps the bike firmly in place. No need to do this on the 29+ as the tires squeeze tightly between the two uprights with 0 slop. So far I'm very pleased with this rack when transporting 1 bike (99% of the time). I just throw the other in the bed!

Looks like someone copied 1UP-1up-29-.jpg

Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    I just got my "Jeep Overland II Bike rack", aka OneUp 1st generation. Mounted it up pretty quickly. Like AKamp, it won't hold my 29ers securely; I tightened it up pretty aggressively, but could still lift the end out that was at the adjustable end. I plan to make a couple inch extension on the adjustable arm, which should easily fix that problem. I am also tempted to make both arms adjustable; it should be $5-$10 of materials and an hour's work to do so. Overall, I am pleased for $235 shipped.

Pics, just because. You can see in the last one how my front wheel is not entirely secured.
    where did you find the rack online? also any pics with it folded up?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Appears I can still get one of these online - and just wanted to ask if the honeymoon ended and any issues with those using this? or if still satisfied?

I need to have something to carry a couple carbon framed bikes when the buds and I hith the road together - as it is - when I drive to trailhead solo - i just lay my bike in back of 4 runner - but thats not the 100% solution - plus I have a small popup and when the wifey and 2 dogs camp - i've not taken the bike - plan to figure a mount for this with the popup as well.

thanks in advance for any feedback!

mtbr member
    Mine is still AWESONE for one bike! Two mountain bikes rub together...

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by robin_hood View Post
    where did you find the rack online?
    Ditto
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Still very happy. If you are always carrying the same bikes pretty easy to adjust for no rubbing. If the bikes are always changing it gets slightly more difficult but not much. Locktite all the bolts!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    appreciate the responses !

ill let you know what i decide...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    Ditto

https://www.bikemania.biz/jeep-overl...-receiver.html

???

Rocks belong
    Hmmm... Those guys seem sketchy. Their site comes up with a cannot verify warning on my iPhone.

They show an address in NJ, but say that is not the return shipping address.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Their site is sketchy but I ordered two racks from them and didn't have a problem. Here are two road bikes and a mountain bike on the racks. I had all 4 on the rack but my 29er with 3 other very small bikes made it difficult due to the narrow road bars on my wife's and sons road bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks Akamp - any chance one could remove a tray and create better spacing as a 3 bike rack? although to achieve equal spacing guessing the middle tray would sit on the joint where the extra rack slides in...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It would be perfect as a 3 bike rack and very easy to do. I have considered it but haven't tried it yet. Plus to carry two bikes I would always have to keep the extension on. The real problem is just when I put my sons bikes on because they are so much smaller that the rest.

Rocks belong
    So I've had this in my cart for 2 days and haven't been able to pull the trigger due to site sketchiness (which y'all assured wasn't a concern) and (more importantly), some of the issues people are having with 29er's. I had a hard time trusting this rack to secure my Niner Jet9 RDO.

Long story short, I was able to use price matching, coupon stack and AJ cashback and found a brand new Thule 916XTR T2 for $309 shipped (and that even includes local CO 8.4% sales tax!).

Members who have read this thread: 12