Looking for smallest car that can fit a bike INSIDE- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good job! Looking for smallest car that can fit a bike INSIDE

I'm shopping for my first car.

I will have a roof mounted bike rack, but I would also like the option of having enough space inside the car to put the bike (taking front wheel off is fine).

So far I've test driven Toyota Matrix, also willing to try Golf GTI and Honda FIT.

What else should I look at?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I like the mazda 3 hatch and nissan versa
    Last edited by MountainJake; 04-19-2010 at 10:38 PM.

AZ
    banned
    Chevrolet Aveo

mtbr member
    Honda Civic 4-door, if you take off the front wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've got a Matrix. My bike fits in with both wheels on, but I have to fold the front seat down. Anytime I have a buddy or more we use roof racks. If I was buying right now I think the Honda Fit might interest me more.

I haven't had any real issues with the matrix though. I have 130 000 km on it and my biggest complaints are the dash rattles a bit and the clock on the stereo resets the time every time I start the car.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    New Mazda2 sounds good, Fit like versatility, Mazda like fun to drive.

mtbr member

Mini Cooper

Put the back seat down and take the front AND back wheel off and it should fit fine. I can put a 7'6" surfboard in my wife's Mini with the hatch closed. They are much bigger inside than people imagine.

Plus, you can get 40 + mpg if you drive smart.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Have you looked at a Toyota Prius? I suppose it's not technically the "smallest" car you could buy, but it is the most fuel efficient -

My road bike is a 56cm frame. Haven't tried my mountain bike yet...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My vote is for Subaru Forester or Outback... Check them out. You won't be disappointed.

ballbuster

If your only requirement is...

Quote Originally Posted by Dmytro

I will have a roof mounted bike rack, but I would also like the option of having enough space inside the car to put the bike (taking front wheel off is fine).

So far I've test driven Toyota Matrix, also willing to try Golf GTI and Honda FIT.

... fitting a bike inside the car, then yeah... just about anything bigger than a Smart Car will work. Heck, even a Smart Car might work for you.

It's not the bike, it's two bikes, a bud, and your gear where it starts getting a little tougher.

mtbr member
    Honda Fit. I was quite impressed by their interior organization..

I used to have an old Acura Integra hatch - was throwing a bike inside no problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Honda Fit! I don't even need to remove the front wheel...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214
    My vote is for Subaru Forester or Outback... Check them out. You won't be disappointed.

Pointer - Can you fit the bike in an Outback without taking the wheels or saddle off (rear seats folded down, of course)? What year Outback?

Thanks

Goofy girl
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmytro

The Scion XD. It's made by Toyota and it's a good value for your money.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've fit two bikes inside my mazda3 sedan, in the rear passenger seats, with all the wheels off. So far, my bikes have been just narrow enough to fit... depending on the size of your bike, you might have a tough time give or take. but i love my driving my mazda3.

mtbr member

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214
    +1 on that suggestion!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by moldau94
    Pointer - Can you fit the bike in an Outback without taking the wheels or saddle off (rear seats folded down, of course)? What year Outback?

Thanks
    I haven't tried, but I would be fairly sure you could if you scooted the front passenger seat up a little.

I have a 2006 LImited (which is why I haven't tried putting my dirty bike in it! HAHA)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Brought my Fuel EX home in a VW Rabbit with 3 people inside. (Didn't ride it as it was raining cows and horses) We doubled up on the front passenger seat (just don't tell anyone)

LA CHÈVRE
    I have a 2000 Outback, I can fit just about any bike inside, with the wheels, saddle raised and have room for plenty of gear. But the OP asked for the smallest car. The Outack isn't small, the new ones are huge.

I'm currently shopping to replace my Subaru, my top choices so far are the Mazda 3 hatch and Honda Fit, money is a big consideration, so VW, Subaru are out of my list. I haven't tried the Nissan Versa but it's not the funnest car to drive apparently.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Members who have read this thread: 0