Looking For A Good Inexpensive Adapter Bar- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Looking For A Good Inexpensive Adapter Bar

I have a Trek X-Caliber 7 and my son has a Specialized Sport Pitch. Instead of attaching our bikes to my bike rack by the frame (sometimes the triangle sized space makes it difficult) and damaging the paint (even if it is the slightest rubbing) I was thinking of getting adapter bars so I can put them on the bikes and attach them to the rack instead. What have you folks used?

edit: I found this Hollywood Car Rack Bike Adaptor | Hollywood Racks Thoughts?

mtbr member
    As far as inexpensive adapter bars go, the Swagman Deluxe Bike Frame Adapter is pretty hard to beat because the clamps on each end open to the side instead of swinging up or down like the Hollywood Rack adapter and many other adapters. You don't have to fight with seat or handle bar clearance.

You can see a full demonstration video of the Swagman Deluxe Adapter Bar here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by etrailer Expert View Post
    As far as inexpensive adapter bars go, the Swagman Deluxe Bike Frame Adapter is pretty hard to beat because the clamps on each end open to the side instead of swinging up or down like the Hollywood Rack adapter and many other adapters. You don't have to fight with seat or handle bar clearance.

You can see a full demonstration video of the Swagman Deluxe Adapter Bar here.
    Thanks. Just ordered.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    For years, I used Saris adapter bars on a traditional Allen bike rack. I ended up getting a Trek X-Caliber (29er) for me and a Trek Skye SL (27.5") for my wife. Even with adapter bars, it was impossible to mount these bikes on the Allen rack without damage to the bikes. The best investment I've ever made.. bike related... to this day, was a Hollywood Racks 4-bike platform rack purchased from etrailer. The rack is worth it's weight in gold... and it's pretty damn heavy.

mtbr member
    The Hollywood Racks bike racks aren't the best looking bike racks out there, but they are sturdy and reliable. If you can deal without the fancy looks, they are a good option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    This adapter is very affordable. About $5 and looks very cool too...

https://goo.gl/photos/ZYASrUDXrxeLYRYE9

Went to the bike shop today to pickup our bikes after tuneups, realized I forgot the regular crossbar adapter for my wife's bike. Was able to find this in my trunk. I actually worked out pretty well with no slippage on the highway.