LOL Saris- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: LOL Saris

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    57

    LOL Saris

    Nice idea but a established company using Kickstarter to fund a project?

    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...5130/the-glide

    Also, still frame contact and not wheels?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    779
    Kickstarter aside (which does seem odd for a company as large as Saris), while the concept seems fine, who wouldn't like easy to tilt racks?...but, 1 out of my 4 bikes would actually work with that rack. I had to sell my trusty Thule 4 bike swing away rack when I got a FS bike with no front triangle, my 2 girls' bikes with no front triangle, etc. I had to go tray style. I went with a Saris, as for the size and weight, it was the best for me.

    They need to work on tray racks, and LIGHTEN THEM UP. My 4 tray rack is so heavy, I don't even want to put it on the car.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    168
    Swing to the side would be more desirable for me.

  4. #4
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,134
    Could be used a "proof of concept" initiation attempt. Seems like they have done the initial designs and proto builds, now they are seeing what their marketshare is going to be like for something that is a little .... different. Think it is actually kinda genius of them, no real money out the door other than the proto and advertising costs, if the project gets fully funded by the KickStarter then they really have little that they have to coughup up front. If it doesn't, they can decide to kill the project and put it on the shelf for a bit OR they can throw the difference at it and still have a "guaranteed" customer base. I say "guaranteed" as they would still charge those customers that they would offer up the opportunity.

    At least that is how I would look at it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JustMtnB44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    697
    Quote Originally Posted by hotsalsa View Post
    Nice idea but a established company using Kickstarter to fund a project?

    Also, still frame contact and not wheels?
    What's the problem? They wouldn't be the first to do it: https://www.econsultancy.com/blog/68...eting-purposes
    Saris already has other wheel holding tray style racks, this isn't trying to compete with those.

    Quote Originally Posted by curtlo-dork View Post
    They need to work on tray racks, and LIGHTEN THEM UP. My 4 tray rack is so heavy, I don't even want to put it on the car.
    Which rack do you have? I have the Superclamp 2 and it is one of the lightest 2 bike tray racks out there. All 4 bike tray racks are going to be heavy.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    779
    I have Superclamp 4. Which was/is the lightest of all the 4 bike tray racks I could find. They really need to do the 2 + 2 in my opinion. A full 4 rack is heavy to mount and unmount. A super quick +2 addon makes the most sense.

    I bought a 1 bike 1-up rack because I can easily add on 2 more, giving me 1-4 bike capability with the 2 racks.

    The 1ups are so friggin' hard to lower down with 4 bikes, I didn't even want to bother.


    I just wish someone would make the "perfect" rack. Saris has the ability, as I love the way their superclamps work.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Could be used a "proof of concept" initiation attempt. Seems like they have done the initial designs and proto builds, now they are seeing what their marketshare is going to be like for something that is a little .... different. Think it is actually kinda genius of them, no real money out the door other than the proto and advertising costs, if the project gets fully funded by the KickStarter then they really have little that they have to coughup up front. If it doesn't, they can decide to kill the project and put it on the shelf for a bit OR they can throw the difference at it and still have a "guaranteed" customer base. I say "guaranteed" as they would still charge those customers that they would offer up the opportunity.

    At least that is how I would look at it.
    I'd normally agree but Kickstarters history/deliverables are questionable at best. Saris would be a safer vendor to back but in reality you have zero guarantee when backing, and since it may never hit the "full product line" or production support for the rack/parts may be limited post purchase.

Similar Threads

  1. saris bones 3 / cabrio (porsche)
    By MarinaMilitare in forum Cars and Bike Racks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2011, 12:19 PM
  2. Saris or Thule? Which trunk rack is the best?
    By webfit40 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-17-2011, 11:42 AM
  3. Jamis Dakar and Saris Bones rack
    By Triumph87 in forum Jamis
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 09:40 AM
  4. Securing SARIS Bones
    By discombobulated_conundrum in forum Cars and Bike Racks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-23-2011, 06:12 PM
  5. LOL @ Airbomb.com Best deal EVER! LOL
    By Prexus2005 in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-19-2005, 04:02 PM

Members who have read this thread: 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.