Locks for bikes and 1UP two bike 2 in system- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Smile Locks for bikes and 1UP two bike 2 in system

I just ordered the 1UP and was shopping for locks...interesting though on the 1 Up site for the one bike video it eludes to getting two security devices? did I hear that right?? Would I get those?
    Probably not since they did not ask what devices I wanted so....I have looked at some double loop Cables and some u lock type locks...Onguad, master, Kryponite etc....what do you use and why? I def do not want to scratch up my bike or ruin the finish on the new 1UP
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Well I am thinking to get a 10mm double end cable and maybe a 15mm double end cable in combination with a nice U bar style lock like the Fahgettaboutit or series 2 or 4....I see Onguard has some decent ones too....any experiences with any of these?

ballbuster
    Somebody on this forum had found a U-Lock that perfectly fits around the trailer safety chain loops on the hitch, and around the body of the 1Up rack. Seems to me, add a heavy hardened chain, loop that through the bike, and... done!

DFL

Locks for bikes and 1UP two bike 2 in system

Quote Originally Posted by jaredm View Post
    Well I am thinking to get a 10mm double end cable and maybe a 15mm double end cable in combination with a nice U bar style lock like the Fahgettaboutit or series 2 or 4....I see Onguard has some decent ones too....any experiences with any of these?
    I bought a Kryptonite Series 2 along with a 10' braided steel cable for the 1Up and hitch on my '12 Jetta. It's about a cm too wide. I'm going to just use the cable and a padlock I guess.

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Somebody on this forum had found a U-Lock that perfectly fits around the trailer safety chain loops on the hitch, and around the body of the 1Up rack. Seems to me, add a heavy hardened chain, loop that through the bike, and... done!
    Yup.

mtbr member
    It wasn't on a one-up but just had a bike stolen from a hitch rack that was secured this way (cable image above). :'(

The problem is the cable is relatively easy and fast to cut and unless they want to steal the rack the U-lock in the images does not good. I'm shopping for a hardened steel chain to loop through the bikes and secure to the hitch...
    Overland : Hayduke : Hightower LT : Delirium : Piolet

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by sdemars View Post
    It wasn't on a one-up but just had a bike stolen from a hitch rack that was secured this way (cable image above). :'(

The problem is the cable is relatively easy and fast to cut and unless they want to steal the rack the U-lock in the images does not good. I'm shopping for a hardened steel chain to loop through the bikes and secure to the hitch...
    True... I only use a cable when bike touring, because chains are so dang heavy in the pannier bags. Otherwise, it's a heavy ass chain to a mini U-lock at the hitch, a chain to the bike, to a heavy duty U-Lock around the frame and rear wheel. Bonus points for cable through the front wheel.

Also, I suggest putting a U-Lock through the frame and rear wheel, so if the cable or chain does get cut, at least the bike will have to have the lock cut off (which isn't that hard with a cordless Angle Grinder) or the thief has to carry the bike away.

That said, no bike is secure for very long when unattended, especially where the public can't see it. I say always keep your bike in eyesight when getting your post-ride burger.