Locking the Frame or Frame and Wheels to a Hitch Rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Locking the Frame or Frame and Wheels to a Hitch Rack

For years I've locked my bikes with a heavy-ish cable by stringing it through the front wheels, rear wheels/triangle and rack. This had always been good enough. This year we got new bikes and rack thefts are on the rise here in Denver. Granted we don't leave the bikes very often but it only takes once.

My current lock has just over an 11ft (3.35m) cable and I can easily lock 3 bikes on my 1up rack. 4 bikes would be a stretch.

I'm looking at getting a Pwag chain and Viro lock combo from Amazon. It's not cheap and it's heavy. I figured I would need about 12-13ft (3.65-4m). That's going to be a very chain to string through 4 bikes. Granted 90% of the time I'll only carry 2 or maybe 3 bikes.

The Amazon kit maxed out at 9ft (2.7m), but from looking at the seller's website I'm sure I could contact them directly for a longer chain. The 9ft chain should allow me to lock two bikes via the frame/wheel method or four bikes through the front triangle. Basically down the center of the rack and leaving the wheels exposed.

Have people had just a wheel stolen off a rack?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    For years I've locked my bikes with a heavy-ish cable by stringing it through the front wheels, rear wheels/triangle and rack. This had always been good enough. This year we got new bikes and rack thefts are on the rise here in Denver. Granted we don't leave the bikes very often but it only takes once.

My current lock has just over an 11ft (3.35m) cable and I can easily lock 3 bikes on my 1up rack. 4 bikes would be a stretch.

I'm looking at getting a Pwag chain and Viro lock combo from Amazon. It's not cheap and it's heavy. I figured I would need about 12-13ft (3.65-4m). That's going to be a very chain to string through 4 bikes. Granted 90% of the time I'll only carry 2 or maybe 3 bikes.

The Amazon kit maxed out at 9ft (2.7m), but from looking at the seller's website I'm sure I could contact them directly for a longer chain. The 9ft chain should allow me to lock two bikes via the frame/wheel method or four bikes through the front triangle. Basically down the center of the rack and leaving the wheels exposed.

Have people had just a wheel stolen off a rack?

If you've seen the dude that got caught stealing Kuat Racks (on Facebook group "303 Trail Monitor" page) at the Matthew Winters lot last year you'd better lock your bike rack up too. Some dude has been stealing Kuat racks and selling them on Craigslist for a quick $350.00. He was popping locking hitch pins with a 6' section of pipe used as leverage apparently. Got away with it almost all last season from what it sounded like, stole a lot of racks.

Initially I bolted 4 25" sections of security chain together but it was way too cumbersome and thick. I split them back up and now I use 4 of the 25-inch security chains and Kryptonite style moto rotor locks depending on situation, as well as a long Otto lock thrown in for visibility. Getting through three -four locks/chain would take some balls and way more time. Remember, a cordless angle grinder can make pretty quick work to anything if you are not parked in a high vis location. A few smaller chains would be way easier to string through than 12-13 feet of security chain. My security chain is wrapped in 3.0 "plus" bike tubes so it doesn't scratch the bikes. I've used black gorilla tape to tape it tight at the ends along with a few thick zip ties so it stays tight and the tube doesn't walk/creep at all.

https://tulsachain.com/security-chain/security-chain is also popular with RV'ers locking generators/moto's /scooters to the back of their coaches/rv's. You can order their chain by the foot as well.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    If you've seen the dude that got caught stealing Kuat Racks (on Facebook group "303 Trail Monitor" page) at the Matthew Winters lot last year you'd better lock your bike rack up too. Some dude has been stealing Kuat racks and selling them on Craigslist for a quick $350.00. He was popping locking hitch pins with a 6' section of pipe used as leverage apparently. Got away with it almost all last season from what it sounded like, stole a lot of racks.

Initially I bolted 4 25" sections of security chain together but it was way too cumbersome and thick. I split them back up and now I use 4 of the 25-inch security chains and Kryptonite style moto rotor locks depending on situation, as well as a long Otto lock thrown in for visibility. Getting through three -four locks/chain would take some balls and way more time. Remember, a cordless angle grinder can make pretty quick work to anything if you are not parked in a high vis location. A few smaller chains would be way easier to string through than 12-13 feet of security chain. My security chain is wrapped in 3.0 "plus" bike tubes so it doesn't scratch the bikes. I've used black gorilla tape to tape it tight at the ends along with a few thick zip ties so it stays tight and the tube doesn't walk/creep at all.

https://tulsachain.com/security-chain/security-chain is also popular with RV'ers locking generators/moto's /scooters to the back of their coaches/rv's. You can order their chain by the foot as well.

Hope this helps.
    I didn't hear about the guy stealing racks. That is nuts. 303 Trail Monitor is a great group.

I'm not following how you use the rotor lock with a security chain. Can you expand on that a little more?

I found this guy in garage. I think I got it from a give a way at BMW of Denver.

Locking the Frame or Frame and Wheels to a Hitch Rack-1528389869349.jpgLocking the Frame or Frame and Wheels to a Hitch Rack-1528389848466.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Lock pics

mtbr member
    Honestly...I only lock (cable) my bike on my rack to slow a thief down...I know it won't stop them if they really want my bike. But then when I claim my stolen bike with my insurance...at least I can say it was locked and that gives them less ammo to give me any crap about covering my bike. Not that they won't....I've already confirmed that a bike on or in my car that's stolen is covered.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.