Lock rack to car- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Lock rack to car

I have an '07 Civic and a Yamika rack that holds 3 bikes (not sure what model). I want to leave the rack on the car semi-permanently since it is kind of a hassle to install, but I live on a college campus in downtown Atlanta where bike and car-related theft is high. I'm looking for the best way to lock the rack to the car without getting in the way of using the trunk if possible.

Yamika makes a security strap that loops through the rack and into the trunk (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EMADH6/), but I don't know if it would affect the seals on the trunk, and it doesn't look very secure- as far as I can tell there are just two thin steel cables running through the strap. Though the nylon strap might actually increase security over a plain cable since it would be hard to cut with cable cutters.

Another option is a cable like Kryptonite Kryptoflex with loops on each end, which I could lock with another lock to the tow loop, or a dedicated cable lock, but recently there has been a big surge in theft of bikes locked with cable locks, so they provide very little security around here. Also, I think these would get in the way of using the trunk more. If the cable is long enough to allow me to open the trunk I will have to coil it up somehow when the trunk is closed.

Maybe I'm over thinking it since it is easy to completely take the rack apart with just a screwdriver, rendering any lock useless if a thief were to take the time.

Anyone have a good solution to secure a bike rack in a high crime area?
    Matt

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by m85476585
    Anyone have a good solution to secure a bike rack in a high crime area?
    i know it sounds like a pain in the butt, but if it's there's that much theft, then i would consider putting the rack in the trunk.
    regardless of the rack you have ( yakima super joe, or king joe), once you have the rack setup, it's not that hard to install/remove.
    just loosen the top straps a little bit and the side straps a touch, and before you know it, you'll have that thing on and off in just a couple of minutes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It doesn't fit in the trunk without also rotating the support arms, and even then it doesn't fit well- part of it almost (but not quite) hits the lid of the trunk when it closes, and then it makes it hard to fit other awkward/large items in the trunk at the same time. I could take it inside, but it's annoying to carry the rack and walk my bike at the same time (too many self-closing doors along the way), and it takes enough time that two trips to the car before and after biking is too much. Obviously taking it off the car is the most secure solution, but if I can avoid it that would be nice. I haven't heard of any bike racks being stolen, and I have seen a few people keep them on their cars all the time, but when bikes are regularly stolen and cars occasionally get broken into, it is plausible that someone might want to take a bike rack.

My rack has triangular pads like the current KingJoe3, but the support arms don't fold down. I haven't really looked for any identifying marks. It is probably over 5 years old by now but it still works well.
    Matt

code: mtbr2011
    i hear ya on the install/reinstall being a p.i.t.a. it sounds like it would be enough to keep me going on a spontaneous ride.
    the triangular pads are really exclusive to the king joe, but the king joe has foldable bike arms.
    if you choose to use the trunk mount security strap, you'll help deter a would-be thief, but it's not likely they'll know that it is, in fact, a security strap because it looks like all of the other black straps on the rack.

climb under your rear bumper, and see if there is a place to connect a cable lock underneath that you could extend up to the bike rack. there's a million cable locks out there...and my theory is if it's got a lock on it like that, thieves will likely leave it alone and go for the one that's unlocked.