Lock for Hitch Rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Lock for Hitch Rack

I currently have a Kuat Transfer with their lock kit. I will be moving cross country soon and unfortunately it looks like my bike will end up on the hitch rack. I understand this is not the best course of action and will do everything I can to fit it in the car before I leave in a couple weeks but I am making this thread just in case. I'm looking for another lock to secure it overnight. I'm thinking of chaining the bike to my rear crossmember of the vehicle (should be doable) or somehow using a U-Lock to the rack from the bike frame. Any suggestions for some additional lock insurance besides the kuat cable around the fork? I know no lock is really secure but would like a little more than the kuat one provides.

Thanks

Hopefully this thread is useless to me and I find a way to fit the bike inside, but either way it should be useful to some.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by D396 View Post
    I'm looking for another lock to secure it overnight.
    Like to leave your car in a parking lot at a hotel? That's a bold strategy.

Or to lock it to your car while you camp 10 feet away, where you are standing ready with a few cans of bear-spray?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Not sure what type of lock would prevent random parts from your bike getting stolen. It would suck to come out to find my seatpost or some other part of the bike that can't be secured by a lock stolen.

Flat Pluto Society
    Ship the bike to an lbs near your new location.
    Anti demagogue.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I had to relocate recently (2300 miles), and like you I couldn’t fit the bikes into my vehicle. I ended up using my hitch rack, and just brought the bikes into the hotels when I stopped. Never had an issue, brought the bikes right in (I asked prior to booking the rooms). Never even considered a lock and leaving them outside.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    When in hotels in Baja we run these on the motos, going to bring them on the next trip with bikes on the bike rack... Hard to even touch the moto without the warning beeps, should be good when we are sleeping in the motorhome w the bikes outside.

If we were hiking or eating and the bikes were locked outside with the alarm on I could see issues with someone locking their bike in the same rack or bumping the bikes.

https://www.amazon.com/YOHOOLYO-Moto...13-spons&psc=1
    O-ver-lan-ding = Let's see how much $h!t I can attach to my truck.

since 4/10/2009
    I've done more than one long distance move that required transporting bikes and staying in a hotel mid-trip. The one thing I've never done is leave the bikes on the rack outside overnight. Locked or otherwise. Never. Never. Never. Worst case scenario, they've come inside the hotel room with me.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bills View Post
    I had to relocate recently (2300 miles), and like you I couldn’t fit the bikes into my vehicle. I ended up using my hitch rack, and just brought the bikes into the hotels when I stopped. Never had an issue, brought the bikes right in (I asked prior to booking the rooms). Never even considered a lock and leaving them outside.
    I do this with no issues, except I never ask. I'm paying a boatload of money for a place to put my body and stuff overnight, they better damn well let me put my bike in there.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Went to Moab. Hotel 6 said I couldn’t bring my bike into my room and if I did it would be a $100 fine. Was told I could place it in their bike storage room but if damages occurred they wouldn’t be responsible. I told them to fine me. $180 a night - ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I do this with no issues, except I never ask. I'm paying a boatload of money for a place to put my body and stuff overnight, they better damn well let me put my bike in there.
    Same here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    What would be the issue of taking it off the rack at the hotel and taking it inside your room? I've done it everywhere I've gone. I just told the front desk that what it cost isn't worth taking the chance of leaving it outside. Never had an issue.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Like to leave your car in a parking lot at a hotel? That's a bold strategy.
    With the advent of battery powered cut-off wheels, any (ANY) lock is just a deterrent... only a matter of how much time a prospective thief thinks he can get away with.

You also have to worry about what you lock the lock to... the cut-off wheel can also cut the rack/hitch/car-frame maybe more easily than a hardened chain/lock.

Name:  51FmPx-fAoL.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  32.8 KB
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.