Lifted 4runner- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lifted 4runner

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Lifted 4runner

I am building a lifted 4runner (88 1st gen removable top one). I am wondering what are my rack options for this truck? I have no tried to fold down the seats and stuff bikes inside yet.

I run a 20mm axle and would like to leave the front wheel on. Maybe I can put a rack on top but throwing my 38ish lb preston up there seems like more of a workout than going on a ride.

Ideas?

not my truck, but similar...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hitch rack.

Yep thats what I would do
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I use a hitch rack with 2 inch reciever on my 4runner. If its a short trip i hang the front end over the tailgate.

Let's get weird
    I've got a 1st gen. and a 29er. I simply take off the front wheel and seatpost(it's really high up there) and secure it to the rollbar. I use a velcro strap to secure the top tube to the inside of the rollbar, place the front wheel between the frame and the inside turned handlebar, and it's good to go. It is really easy in/out, takes up very little room, doesn't move and I hardly notice it's there. One of the rear seats must be folded down to do this.

user-created
    Ya know how guys hang the front wheels over the tailgate on pickups? Well, you should be able to do that with the glass down on the rear gate and the roof on.

A) Load the bike with the gate open, back wheels in the bed and front wheels hanging over the lowered gate. B) Push the gate closed, bikes will shift up and in but not hit the roof. C)There is no C

Obviously a hitch rack is also a good option but if you actual going to do any wheelin', you sure as hell don't want one.

In the case of my rig I made an integrated rack that's bolted to the rear hatch so the wheels of the bikes hang from the top-tube above the rear bumper, and there's no low-hanging metal to stuff into the ground. That would harder to fabricate for a tail-gate setup though.

STINKY TOFU
    Damn thats clean
    "I'd pee on that"
    -R. Kelly-

Members who have read this thread: 0